Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Don't know what's going on with my body (post D&C, kinda TMI)

I'm frustrated and don't know what the heck is going on with my body.  I had a missed miscarriage six weeks ago with a D&C two days after that.  All went "well" with the D&C.  I bled mild to slightly for about two weeks after the procedure and then brownish discharge off and on (more often on) since then.  Last Friday I had my post-op check-up with my doctor and he said all looked good, my uterus was back to regular size, and not to worry about my period not having come yet - that it can take a while some times after a D&C/miscarriage and to expect it to be heavier and longer than usual.  

The night of my appointment, I started to bleed slightly and I just figured it was due to the internal exam for whatever reason.  But now (5 days later),  I'm still bleeding lightly - definitely not my usual flow and much lighter than what I would expect after what I've been told and what I've read after a D&C/miscarriage. I'm eager to get this period so that I can move on (in one way) and also because I feel SO bloated...I've actually gained some weight since my miscarriage.

Anyone have/had a similar experience.  I'm beyond annoyed with my body right now.  The last miscarriage has thrown me for a loop and now with the wait for this period, I don't know what's what. 

Two miscarriages at 5 weeks in 2004 due to low progesterone. In October of 2007, I gave birth to my amazing boy. In November of 2009, I gave birth to my beautiful girl. In February of 2012, we were surprised to find out we were pregnant again. I heard the heartbeat at my first prenatal appointment on March 23rd. At my second prenatal appointment (with my husband and two children), 12 weeks, my midwife had trouble finding the heartbeat with the doppler. She got me in for an emergency ultrasound and there they found no more heartbeat. Our baby stopped progressing at 8w4d. Two days later (April 20th) I had a D&C for a missed miscarriage that my body held on to for almost four weeks. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Don't know what's going on with my body (post D&C, kinda TMI)

• Yep.  I thought I was done around the 2 week mark & then it came back, more than spotting in my case.  My Dr said it was totally normal to bleed on & off until my period came back.  I am not sure if it had anything to do with how far along I was or just a loss in general.  I ended up being totally done bleeding for good around 3w post-loss & then my period came back exactly 6 wks post-loss.

I am sorry for your losses.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I too am sorry for your loss!

Do you think this bleeding could be your AF?  I had my D&C on 5/1 and only spotted lightly after that for about 5-6 days.  On 5/25, about 3.5 weeks post D&C, AF appeared.  It is lighter that in the past, but definitely AF.  I wasn't sure if I could be getting AF already because I still had HCG of 8, but my Dr. said that the levels weren't strong enough to suppress my menses and that everything was moving in a positive direction.  I hope things move forward for you soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you know what your HCG levels are? If they've been below 5 for a couple weeks then it could have been your period. I've also read that in order for it to be your period, it has to have been at least 20 days since your bleeding ended (though I don't know if that counts spotting).
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Thanks ladies for your kind words and advice. And I'm so sorry for the losses you all have been through. I haven't had any HCG levels tested, it was never anything the doctor even mentioned when I saw him last week. I guess if the main bleeding had stopped about two weeks ago then maybe this is finally AF but it's just not anywhere near as severe as I thought it would be (at least yet). Maybe it will just last a long while. (TMI) Normally I'm use super or ultra tampons but with this, I'm a regular is probably too much. 

I think my hormones may just be super out-of-whack. I was on progesterone suppositories (due to previous miscarriages) which is probably the reason for the "missed" part of this miscarriage. I thought I was 12 weeks along when I went in for my second prenatal appointment, only to find out through an unplanned ultrasound that my baby had stopped progressing at 8w4d - only a day or two after my first appointment wherein I actually had the opportunity to hear her heartbeat. I still can't believe my body held on to my baby for almost four weeks. It drives me berserk when I stop a moment to think about it.

Aw, anyhow, thanks again.  

Two miscarriages at 5 weeks in 2004 due to low progesterone. In October of 2007, I gave birth to my amazing boy. In November of 2009, I gave birth to my beautiful girl. In February of 2012, we were surprised to find out we were pregnant again. I heard the heartbeat at my first prenatal appointment on March 23rd. At my second prenatal appointment (with my husband and two children), 12 weeks, my midwife had trouble finding the heartbeat with the doppler. She got me in for an emergency ultrasound and there they found no more heartbeat. Our baby stopped progressing at 8w4d. Two days later (April 20th) I had a D&C for a missed miscarriage that my body held on to for almost four weeks. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"