Breastfeeding

BF issues or is this normal?

I had DD on Friday via RCS. I put her to breast within 1 hour of birth. She immediately knew what do, unlike DS, who I had a hard time BFing and ended up EPing for a whole year, while supplementing due to low supply. I have large somewhat-flat nipples. DD was 9 lbs 13 oz and born with low blood sugar, 27, so the nurses gave her a little formula right away. She lost 10% of her body weight in the first 3 days so the LC, nurses and Ped agreed I should put her to breast and then offer 1 oz formula each feeding. I fed her every 2 hours after that. Yesterday my breasts felt heavier and tender and I was able to self-express a little milk and DD seemed content. I could hear her swallowing, and quit supplementing. Today I BF her and then we took a 2 hour nap. When we woke up I tried to BF her but it seemed like she wasn't getting anything. I tried to self-express- nothing. My nipples are sore and bleeding a bit. I then gave her some formula. Is it possible that my milk came and went? Is there anything I can do to get it to come back? I do have a pump but was hoping not to use it much in the beginning until we had a good latch and routine. Thanks.

Re: BF issues or is this normal?

• xnbridexnbride member

It sounds like they might be plugged especially if your nipples are hurting and they are tender to the touch and hard. I got two clogged ducts the week my milk came in-ugh. My LC told me about a miracle drug (or that is what I call it) called Lecithin and it is great! It has helped me tremendously. I am very prone to clog ducts and since I started taking it I have had no issues at all. I take 1 pill every day and then if I notice even the slightest sign that there may be an issue I will take 2. I wish I would have known about it sooner. I had a really rough time with dS1 and Ds2.

Also, if it is a plug duct, you need to get it unplugged ASAP so that it doesn't get infected. Put heating pad on your breast, nurse or pump often, manually express in the bath tub or shower. 

edit to add: you can get Lecithin at Riteaid and similar stores in the herb section

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"