Breastfeeding

Solids Vs. BM

My son has been on solids since 5 months and now at 6 months were starting on 3 meals a day per pediatrician recommendation. I asked if my son will be taking less breastmilk and the dr said yes and hes suppose to. Im a little confused, I thought that BM was all they needed the entire first year and solids was just for practice. Now it seems like solids will be his main source and then breastmilk. So Im curious to see what everyone elses pediatricians have said about solids/breastmilk? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Solids Vs. BM

• amyc216amyc216 member
    At our 6 mo. appt. the pedi. said that by 9 months he'd be eating more "real" foods so to just evolve what we serve him during the next 3 months.  I took that to mean he'd be having less BM as time went on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mnewleemnewlee member

I've always heard that "food before one is just for fun".

My 8 month old is still getting at least 90% of her calories from breastmilk. (we do blw) she's slowly upping her solids intake but it's a slow process. 

I'm guessing solids will slowly become a more prominent part of her diet and her milk intake will decrease. 

Having most  of her calories come from solids at 6 months seems a bit premature. I would feel like she'd get much better stuff from breast milk than solids.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemnewlee:

My 8 month old is still getting at least 90% of her calories from breastmilk. (we do blw) she's slowly upping her solids intake but it's a slow process. 

I'm guessing solids will slowly become a more prominent part of her diet and her milk intake will decrease. 

Having most  of her calories come from solids at 6 months seems a bit premature. I would feel like she'd get much better stuff from breast milk than solids.

ITA with this.  Although, I will say that when DD started solids at 8 mos she also decreased the amount of nursing she was doing.  I'm sure she was drinking the same amount, just not as often.  And, AF returned at 9 mos b/c of it.  But, she was not "good" at eating solids until just over 1 yr old.  Her weight gain slowed a lot from 6-12 mos b/c of it and then picked up again after 1 y/o.  So, don't be surprised if that happens too.  I believe it is normal in a BF baby for that to happen. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • DD did not drop any nursing sessions until about 11 months. Your doctor does not know what he is talking about.   
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagemnewlee:

This is us too.  He's been on solids for 2 months now and hasn't dropped any feedings.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"