Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Strawberries

Before or after a year? Is it nuts, honey, and cows milk after a year or are there more?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Strawberries

• Options
    lchittlchitt member
    Well I guess I did know these also just not in my quick note above. I got some yummy strawberries and can't decide to share or not, nO allergies on our family but milk and that hasn't bothered her
  • Options
    LO has had many berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries) and has not had any issues.  We plan to introduce WCM in a sippy at meals only at 9 months...he will continue to BF until he is a year.  We plan to wait on nuts, honey and will probably never introduce shell fish until much later.  DH has an allergy and I can't stand it anyway.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS has already had strawberries (he is 7 months). He has also had peanut butter. The new evidence says that if you don't have a history of food allergies in your family there is no reason to wait (and that waiting can actually increase the risk of allergies).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I gave strawberries already.  She has also tasted peanut butter, just not a big bite, because of the choking thing.  But so far, so good!
  • Options
    My pedi said give everything since her dad and I aren't allergic to foods. Honey isn't an allergen it is actually toxic until two (?) years of age. Cows milk doesn't have enough nutrients in it until babies are older. Nuts are a choking hazard but nut better is okay. 
  • Options
    imagekarinothing:

DS has already had strawberries (he is 7 months). He has also had peanut butter. The new evidence says that if you don't have a history of food allergies in your family there is no reason to wait (and that waiting can actually increase the risk of allergies).

This. If you have no evidence of food allergies, you don't need to wait. DD is 6.5 months and has had peanut butter already. Also, we introduced blueberries last week and this weekend she tried both rasperries and strawberries. I've also given her little bits of cottage cheese and cheese, and also whole wheat pancakes. The only food I'm avoiding altogether is honey, since the bacteria is no good. 

• Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member

imageExpectantSteelerFan:
    Neither dh or I have any food allergies, but ds has a tree nut allergy.  So we're doing pb at 1 and avoiding tree nuts till 3, but we've already done most other allergens.  DD sadly doesn't love strawberries, but she does love raspberries and blackberries.

I've always heard about holding off on tree nuts, but does anyone know about almond milk? I know several moms who started that at 12 mo because of milk/lactose problems. Is it excluded from the tree nut thing for some reason?

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options

We've started strawberries last week.  I've been mixing them with banana & mango for breakfast.  She loves them.  We'll be doing blueberrys this week.

There are other things you should wait till a year too, acidic fruits like pineapple and tomotoes.

• Options

Our Pedi said that the only thing to really keep away from LO is honey.  Cows milk can be given at a year.  As for nuts, our Pedi said that studies are showing the earlier you introduce them the less likely they are to develope and allergy to them.  I won't be doing nuts, but thats because I am allergic to them.  Pedi also said the reason for no nuts isn't necessarily the allergies, but the size.  They are the perfect size to choke on for LO's.

I gave LO a few bites of some crab this weekend when I was eating them and he was fine.  My first solid food was crabs and I turned out okay. To each his own. 

I've been nervous about strawberries, but LO had something that had a bunch of fruits mixed in and one was strawberries.  He didn't have a reaction so I might try a whole strawberry sometime soon.  I know a lot of people try the real allergy causing foods right before they walk into the Pedi's office for a routine visit.  That way if anything should happen they are there with the Dr. already.

• Options
    imageanastasiacarmen:

Our doctor said avoid the top 8 most allergic foods:

Milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat.

The doctor did add honey to the list 

DS has had single grain wheat cereal so I guess I messed that up.  Doctor said berries are okay, that they used to recommend waiting but don't anymore.  

I personally wont give actual strawberries but I do give it if its in baby food.  I also won't be doing chocolate.

Honey isn't an allergy thing, it's a getting botulism and dying thing.

• Options
    At our 6 month appointment, doctor gave go-ahead on ALL foods except honey and chokables like nuts, etc. And whole milk waits until a year..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're only waiting on honey and nuts.  I don't give him milk to drink, but I don't give him juice to drink either and I do give him milk products.  He loves strawberries.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"