Stay at Home Moms

S/O on the topic of creating bad habits/using "sleep props" like pacis

Is there anything you did as a FTM (like using a pacifier to help LO sleep or rocking your baby to sleep for example) that you will not/did not do the second time around?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O on the topic of creating bad habits/using "sleep props" like pacis

• In the slew of parenting books I read as a FTM, many of them had a common theme-don't use pacis or it will be impossible for your child to learn to sleep on their own/don't bedshare or you'll never get your child out of your bed/don't rock to sleep past the first few months or they'll be dependent on being rocked to sleep/etc.

I'm glad I went ahead and ignored that advice. We bedshared until 20 months/12 months respectively and had no issues transitioning our kids to their own space. We rocked to sleep and now both my kids go to sleep when you tell them it's bedtime and lie them in their beds- no CIO or any sort of sleep training needed. We just followed their cues and they gave it up in their own time. I think a lot of people rush kids to give up the bottle/paci/whatever and forget to realize kids usually give them up on their own before it becomes an issue. I haven't seen many kindergarteners who still use a paci or bottle. 

With my oldest we used the paci in the first year quite a bit, so when my second child was born DH said absolutely no paci for her since we thought it was going to be a nightmare to wean my oldest from the paci and we didn't want to do that twice. Well fast forward a year and a half and my oldest gave up the paci in 2 days and my youngest sucks her thumb constantly. My third child will definitely be allowed a paci if he/she wants one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I actually went the other way. I practically forced a paci on DD and rocked her to sleep until she started refusing it. I worked so hard at trying to do everything perfectly with DS, and with DD I just didn't have the energy.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD used a paci day and night until 22 months. I tried one at to take it away, and she asked once for it. DS stopped using a paci after 3 months. I wish he had used it for much longer. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had so many sleepless nights. 
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • Screw that! Both my kids are decent sleepers. One was a thumb sucker and after that I pushed the paci w/kid 2. Lucky for me the pediatric dentist worked some major magic and convinced DD1 to stop w/the thumb sucking @ her 3 yo appt. As for kid 2 w/the paci. She still uses it for naps & nighttime ONLY. Our ped. dentist warned me not to take it away too soon, as she's had kids who starting thumb sucking late, after their parents took away the paci. I'm thinking sometime this summer, we'll give it away. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • ta78ta78 member

DS's worst habit was having to be rocked to sleep in his car seat until he was 5 or 6 months old, not in the rocking chair with us, just his seat which got really heavy fast. We eventually let him CIO and he slept soundly in his crib after 2 nights.

He also had a paci until about 18 months.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• My DD was never consistently fond of the paci but I may have one on hand for this LO just in case.

My DD still nurses to sleep for naps and bedtime and while I don't mind, I worry about how it's going to play out come October (when I'm due).  I'm just playing it by ear though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Having two I worked really hard not to have any "have to's" for sleeping.  We did give them paci's but they started to refuse them at about 3 months.  Now my John will suck his thumb- but that is not something I had to go and replace several times a night.  We also worked on a bedtime routine that only one person could do- now it is just pjs, teeth brushing, and books.  The one thing that I gave into was the sound machine- yep I discovered that since I have heard it via the monitor all this time- I need it to sleep at night.

• I'm not sure.

We ended up bed-sharing because DD would not sleep any other way--for the sake of our sanity. Dh is also very open to bedsharing so it made it work fine for our family.  Now, however, after finally implementing CIO in her room about 9 months ago, she still screams almost every night and many naps, as well. 

She also uses a pacifier to sleep still. I'm not overly concerned about it since it is only with her in bed. But I long for the day she will go to sleep without screaming and kicking!!!

DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • No. I did the SAME bad habits for all 3 kids so far! LOL!

Nursing to sleep, swaddling for 6 months........ 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"