Postpartum Depression
Options

Depression and Pregnancy

I found out last week I was pregnant.  While most are over the moon excited, I am completley shocked as this was completley unexpected and a huge surprise.  Anyway, that aside, I was diagnosed earlier this year as being OCD and depressed by a Dr.  He started me on Zoloft and I felt it was finally starting to kick in and I was feeling better in recent days.  I found out I was expecting, and immediatley called the doc.  He told me I needed to start to taper myself off the Zoloft, as it wasn't healthy for the baby.  I can see myself slowly slipping back into depression mode and feel that cloud of doom over me.  As hard as I'm trying to not give into it, it's just there and I feel crappy.

Are there any safe things to take while PG?  If need be, I will suffer for 9 months until baby comes along and then go back on the meds so I can feel decently.  I'm just going through alot right now!

I plan on asking the OBGYN when I go in next month, but in the mean time, i'm curious as to what to do!

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Depression and Pregnancy

• Options
    I took Zoloft throughout my entire pregnancy. I couldn't imagine myself not on my medication. Having severe depression during pregnancy is not good for you or your baby. My son was born absolutely healthy.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I did a ton of research on this before I got pregnant and, in short, there is not enough research.  The Mayo Clinic has a good guide.  I keep all my info on my blog mommy.mentality.blogspot.com.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Depression is hard enough to handle without the challenges of pregnancy! Battling both at the same time is really rough. I'm so sorry. 

I've been on Zoloft through my whole pregnancy so far. My mom said that Wellbutrin was a better medication for her, but my doctor didn't want me to take it while pregnant. Some doctors feel that Wellbutrin is ok during pregnancy, so maybe you can ask your doctor about it. 

I tried to wean myself off of Zoloft early on in my pregnancy and just couldn't do it. Since then, I started going to therapy and it has made a HUGE difference. Medication can help with some things, but only therapy can help you retrain your thoughts. A couple weeks ago I decreased my dosage again, and I have been feeling GREAT! I think I may be able to go off completely before the baby is born! 

We were able to find a counseling center run out of university that we could actually afford ($15). Maybe you can find something similar in your area?

When it comes down to it, there are many women who take Zoloft and have normal, healthy babies. If you can't go off without having a really hard time, it's OK. Good luck!!! You are not alone! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    klvklv member

imagealysson.lawless:
    I took Zoloft throughout my entire pregnancy. I couldn't imagine myself not on my medication. Having severe depression during pregnancy is not good for you or your baby. My son was born absolutely healthy.

Same here, only I had a girl :).   I was on a low dose though...50 mg. the recommendation is that you taper off in the 3rd tri if you can. I did not. My LO has no issues. 

• Options

Thank you all for your advice, support and reassurance! I recently got health insurance through my company, so I think I'll be calling the new doctor today and asking what they think about continuing the medication.

When I've mentioned taking Zoloft to others, they act like I'm being so selfish and that the baby will be born having a million defects because of the medication.  It's so hard, but I don't feel I'm ready to be off the meds at all.  I've already felt a difference mentally since tapering off and I don't like it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jw87jw87 member
    Just wanted to say you're not alone,  I'm in the same boat...

I was on paxil before I got pregnant, and had to stop.  I will be talking to my doctor about zoloft soon.  I just don't think I can do it without it really hurting my relationship with my husband and son.  I just feel so withdrawn and sad all the time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I understand!  I am feeling so depressed and anxious and like I just want to climb out of my own skin!

I recently got health insurance and called my new Dr's office and the advice nurse told me to continue taking the Zoloft until my first appointment at 10 weeks... so, I started that back up again.  While I'm scared of the risks that it may have on the baby, I feel selfish in wanting to feel better myself.  The nurse I spoke with let me know that when there's no concrete evidence on a drug, then it's usually okay to take, otherwise there would be info. saying it was dangerous.  I'm trying to find peace of mind in that.

Good luck!  If you need to talk, I'm here.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    All of my doctors said Zoloft is one of the only meds considered okay for depression during pregnancy. The only thing he said is that it increases the risk of colic if taken in 3rd tri. I really hope you can find a balance. You are not selfish. A mother who feels out of control is going to have an even harder time taking care of her baby. 
  • Options

I feel better knowing your Dr's have told you that Zoloft is one of the safe meds during pregnancy.  I'm just a paranoid person and being pregnant makes me even more nervous than ever before.

Thanks for your reassuring words :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Gosh, I know how you feel!  I had been on Zoloft, but was told by the first doctor I had to get off of it. SO I did.

Then my new place, midwives, have said that it is fine.  And I SERIOUSLY need it.  But I need someone to refill my prescription, and nobody wants to unless I go to a psychiatrist two times a week and have them fill it.

That's fine and great, except I can't get off enough time from work to go to these appointments.  There is just way too much going on right now and it won't work.

I was on the meds for five years prior, and the feelings are all coming back - the depression, the anxiety and OCD...I just want to feel ok in my skin again.  I don't even feel like I exist right now.

I really hope you get this all situated and "get" happy again!!!  Adios to the cloud!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"