Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Can a 2 month old drink Pedialyte?

Evelyn had her shots yesterday, and she's acting just fine, but had two diahrea diapers this morning and a 99.5 temp.  I gave her a dose of Tylenol for the fever (she usually runs around 97.5).  I was going to run to the store to grab a few things and might want to pick up something for the diahrea if it gets worse.  Is it safe for infants?  and if so how much? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Can a 2 month old drink Pedialyte?

• Options

Claire had a cold when she was about 6 weeks old. She had a hard time eating her formula because she was really stopped up and her formula was so thick. My Dr oked pedialyte for her bc it wasnt as thick as her formula. I would give her a 3 oz bottle and 1oz bottle of pedialyte to wash it down. I would still double check with her doctor just to make sure. BTW she liked the strawberry flavor the best :)

photo dff9bed9-7fbe-40aa-8c84-b6edd300a153_zps405bb8c9.jpg
  • Options
    It's safe. Our Dr had us give DD pedialyte at 5 weeks, because I was worried about reflux so they wanted us to come in and do an observation feeding, but she was due for a feed when I called. They said to give her a pure pedialyte in a bottle and feed her just as much as I normally do.. and they let us know that she might take a little more than normal since the pedialyte is lighter than formula. DD loved it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You should probably just check with your pediatrician.  It's unlikely the diarrhea will be so severe, just from the immunization, that she'll really need pedialyte anyway.  If she does continue to have bad diarrhea, it's probably from something else, and in that case, you should still contact your doctor.
  • Options
    Even though Pedialyte is totally safe at that age (mine had to have some at 3 weeks of age) check with your pediatrician to make sure that is the best course of action.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Call your pedi.

Also, you may want to talk to your doctor about when to give tylenol. A temp of 99.5 means that the body is fighting off something and the body needs to be able to reach that temperature to heal.

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

She more than likely had the rotovirus vaccine and it can cause diarrhea.  Mine got it a bit and we didn't worry.  Ask the pedi but she can probably have a little tylenol for the temp.  We gave ours 1 small dose the night of the shots because he just seemed uncomfortable.

I'd definitely ask before giving pedialyte though.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice.  I did call and talked to the nurse.  We are ok to give her 2 oz of pedialyte in a 24 hour stretch, and they suggested diluting it to a 50/50 split.  She hasn't had another diarhea diaper so I think we are ok.  I bet it was from the oral vaccine they gave her.  I gave her Tylenol for her fever, I just don't want it to get higher than that.  I just hate when they get the yuckies, poor baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Yup, the oral is the rotovirus vaccine and in my paperwork it said it can cause diarrhea.  Glad she's feeling better!

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"