Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Regular cycles are not my thing...

Having m/c about 9 days ago, I'm starting to contemplate if/when I'll get my next period.

I've -never- had regular periods (only when I was on bc), and for the last two calendar years I've had about 7 periods that come with no rhyme or reason. 

Due to school and work I haven't had the time to see a reproductive endocrinologist like I'm being suggested by my OB/GYN, so we don't really have a clue as to why my hormones don't do what they should...

I wasn't even TTC when we got pregnant, and I was super-surprised it even happened. From what my doctors have "guessed," I don't ovulate regularly since my hormones don't fluctuate as they should.

With all that said, I'm wondering what I should expect after this m/c. How long will I have to wait until my hormones fluctuate enough to give me a period again...

I was wondering if any other ladies with abnormal periods have any advice for post-m/c? My mom said that after she had my sister, her life-long abnormal periods were suddenly regular to the day. I'm sorta hopeful that this flux in hormones due to HCG and all that might have kick-started my hormones into normalcy? Here's hoping there's a silver-lining to our loss!  

Me 28 | DH 33
Married 12.21.12
DD#1 born 5.21.13
DD#2 due 7.11.16

Re: Regular cycles are not my thing...

• Options

Hey there-sorry for your loss :(

I don't know if it makes any difference whether you were regular or irregular beforehand, but I know that an MC can do a serious number on your cycle.  From what I have read, it can take up to 60 days for AF to return.  Most women get it before then, and anything longer than 60 days warrants a call to your doc for sure.  For me, my cycles have been longer, and definitely "wonky" for lack of a better word since my MC.  I think it takes 2-3 usually before you can start to feel "on track" again...

HTH!  ((hugs))

TTC #1 since November 2011
    ** BFP #1 - M/C at 6 weeks 4/13/2012 **
    ** BFP #2 - expecting a little leprechaun!! EDD 3/21/13 | HB 7/30/2012 (6w3d) **
    NT Scan 9/4 - looked great! | Grow, baby, grow!!! | A/S 10/29

***All AL always welcome***
  • Options

are you having your HCG levels monitored by your OB? Once the levels go below 5, then your cycle should kick back into gear. I understand you say your cycles are always irregular, but i would make sure your blood levels are bring monitored so you are aware of when to start expecting to possibly have AF. 

BFP #1 4/10/12, lost at 8 weeks.
    BFP #2 EDD 4/18/13. Its a Boy!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The issue is I went out of town the day of my m/c to be with my fiance for the next month or so. I tried to find a doctor who would see me while I'm out here in CA but everyone I've called doesn't have availability for a new patient.

I'm wondering if I should go to the ER just to be sure? That's the last place I want to go but perhaps it'd be best. 

Me 28 | DH 33
    Married 12.21.12
    DD#1 born 5.21.13
    DD#2 due 7.11.16
  • Options

Are you having any symptoms that are concerning?  (abdominal pain, fever etc?)  Every MC is different for sure so only your doctor (I know you can't get in to see one) will be able to tell you what is "normal" and what isn't.

The main reason they monitor levels after an MC is to ensure that no tissue was retained--this can cause infection and prevent you from ovulating/conceiving again.  I would try and get in to an OB just to get bloodwork done.  It can take up to 60 days for AF to come back so even if the appointment isn't for another 6 weeks, it will probably be worth your while, if nothing else for peace of mind.  If the wait is too long and you start having conerning symptoms, a trip to the ER/Urgent Care might be in order.

HTH!

TTC #1 since November 2011
    ** BFP #1 - M/C at 6 weeks 4/13/2012 **
    ** BFP #2 - expecting a little leprechaun!! EDD 3/21/13 | HB 7/30/2012 (6w3d) **
    NT Scan 9/4 - looked great! | Grow, baby, grow!!! | A/S 10/29

***All AL always welcome***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"