Breastfeeding

What do I do with the milk I pump to maintain supply?!

Just got back from the pedi and had a brief chat with one of the LCs there.  Connor is about 10% down form his birth weight but now that my milk has come in, they are expecting a turn around.  I told the LC that Connor usually will fed for about 10-15 minutes then fall asleep and will be completely uninterested in taking the other breast.  She suggested that I then pump the other breast to keep up my supply.  She said pump for 15 minutes...this is giving me around 1 oz.  I guess my first question is, is this a good amount?  My second is...what I do with the expressed milk if I am not using the bottle yet?  I could freeze it to start building my freezer supply but I feel like it might be to early for that.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                     BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
      BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                               BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

Re: What do I do with the milk I pump to maintain supply?!

• Pumping the other side does not seem necessary - many babies only take one side per feeding, just make sure to use the other one the next time.  If you do follow her direction, you likely will have twice the supply that you intend to have.  Baby is good at getting supply to where they need it.  GL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would freeze it especially if you want to build a freezer supply.  If you're going back to work at some point you will appreciate the extra supply you're producing.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • imageKaliChick:
    I would freeze it especially if you want to build a freezer supply.  If you're going back to work at some point you will appreciate the extra supply you're producing.

This. I'd freeze it too. I actually feared I had a problem with supply early on... but I really didn't. Anyways, I took fenugreek and had ended up building a nice freezer stash. It came in handy when I came across times I couldn't keep up, or when I had to be put on a steroid and couldn't nurse for a week.  And now, I still have a nice stash, which will be even better for when I eventually quit nursing.

You never know what will happen.... that stash will be nice to have.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"