Baby Showers

photographer, amount of ppl...etc

FTM HERE lol sorry for the 3928572945870 questions lol

do y'all think it is ok to have a photographer at your baby shower...this girl is really amazing and is only charging me 100 bucks which I think is a great price!!!

also, I am on 80 ppl as of now but I know I am going to add more ppl. especially I know my mother and my mother in law will want their friends to come as well. Will this be to many ppl?

what about putting expensive items on the list...I find myself shying away from them just bc they are expensive should I put them on there anyways?

Re: photographer, amount of ppl...etc

• The photographer seems like a nice idea. 

80 people is crazy.  You will have no time to connect with all of them and if you are opening your presents during the shower it will take hours.  I would either cut the list down or have two separate showers.  Seriously, I had 35 people and it took close to 2 hours to open gifts.

I would put the expensive items on the registry because you can get a completion coupon to use if no one buys them.  I would just be sure to have gifts in all price ranges.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never heard of a photographer at a shower...seems like overkill, but that might just be the circle of people that I hang with.  Have a gal running around with a camera seems okay, but a pro?  Seems over-the-top.

80 is a huge shower...way too many in my opinion...it's a shower, not a graduation open house.  And what a major expense to boot.  Holy buckets...I don't know 80 women well enough to invite them to a shower.

Put expensive items on the list if you want, but have LOTS of cheaper items...especially if you have 80+ people coming.  People might go in together and get something bigger.

• Loading the player...
  • kcave21kcave21 member
    38 of them are family hahaha all women lol so lets say 42 ppl haha!! :) thanks girls for your help
  • eebaehreebaehr member

If I walked into a shower and 79 people looked back at me, I'd walk out.  That sounds terrible, it would take HOURS! HOURS! to open those gifts, and you would never be able to speak to each guest and thank them personally. 

Like the pp said, this isn't a wedding.  You need to have two showers or cut down your guest list.  Some thought should be given to your guests and how much time they will realistically enjoy the festivities..

• imagekcave21:
    38 of them are family hahaha all women lol so lets say 42 ppl haha!! :) thanks girls for your help

Is there 42 or 80?  42 invited is more reasonable, but 42 attending is really, really, really large still...

• I have a very large family, and I also had 3 people offer to throw me showers, so instead of a big shower, I broke them up into 3 showers.  That way I was able to talk to everyone and it wasn't so impersonal.

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• CranangCranang member
    Holy Sh!t.  Like a PP said, if I saw a shower with 80 people, I'd turn around and leave.  And while the photographer seems nice I guess, I would probably be side-eyeing the MTB.  Again, it's JUST a shower.  It's not a wedding.  It's a little party to celebrate you becoming a mother.  It's not that big of a deal.
  • ks3pinkks3pink member

I don't think its too many people, especially if its a floating shower.  It is quite common where I'm from to have large showers with a floating timeline.  It doesn't take any longer to open gifts, I have been to several showers this large and the honored person had no issues getting the gifts opened.  

As for the photographer, I really think that is a bit much.  But to each their own. 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • eav2ceav2c member
    The amount of people seems like overkill to me... Even *if* I had 80 nearest and dearest, I wouldn't invite them all.
  • Wow.  First, why do you need your shower to be professionally photographed? I'd never in my life pay $100 to have it done when one of your guests or hosts could easily snap a few pictures of decorations, gift opening, guests, etc.

And 80+ people? This isn't a wedding.

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I find it hard to believe you are CLOSE to all 80 women.  I really do.  As others said, it's a shower, not a wedding. It is NOT an "invite everyone you know" event.

If I walked into a shower that large, though, I would rolll w/ it - all though i'd be looking at my watch constantly and wondering how long everything was going to take, and I'd probably leave early.

BUT - if I walked in and ALSO saw a professional photographer AND 80 guests - I'd feel VERY much like "cattle" and like the MTB was blowing her shower WAY out of proportion.  I wouldn't feel that I was invited because she genuinely saw me as a friend.  I'd feel I was invited for the gift.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imagekcave21:

You don't need to invite every single female family member, just those you are close with. I invited my mom, sister and grandma. Once you get up to inviting 38 family memers and 42 friends, then yeah, everyone you know will expect an invite. But if you keep it intimate as a shower is intended to be, you can always tell your ex-sister-in-law's high school soccer coach that you just had a small little shower and then she won't feel left out. But then again, she will probably be reluctant to go in with the garbageman to buy you your Uppababy Vista.

• I'd side-eye both the amount of people and having a photographer. I think my exact response from seeing the photographer would be "Are you f*cking serious?"

As people said, it's just a gathering of close family and a few close friends.   I have a large family also and I invited, my mother, 2 sisters, 10 aunts, 18 (and we keep in constant contact via FB) cousins, MIL, and my best friend, about 16 people total were there and it was perfect.

• imagekcave21:

FTM HERE lol sorry for the 3928572945870 questions lol

do y'all think it is ok to have a photographer at your baby shower...this girl is really amazing and is only charging me 100 bucks which I think is a great price!!!

also, I am on 80 ppl as of now but I know I am going to add more ppl. especially I know my mother and my mother in law will want their friends to come as well. Will this be to many ppl?

what about putting expensive items on the list...I find myself shying away from them just bc they are expensive should I put them on there anyways?

get the photographer! What a cool idea and a cheap price! & put those expensive items on your registry,,you never know people may put money together to get them for you, or you can always use the completion code to get them!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagejeffsjayme:

I've never heard of a photographer at a shower...seems like overkill, but that might just be the circle of people that I hang with.  Have a gal running around with a camera seems okay, but a pro?  Seems over-the-top.

80 is a huge shower...way too many in my opinion...it's a shower, not a graduation open house.  And what a major expense to boot.  Holy buckets...I don't know 80 women well enough to invite them to a shower.

Put expensive items on the list if you want, but have LOTS of cheaper items...especially if you have 80+ people coming.  People might go in together and get something bigger.

I agree with every point made above. 

Personally, I have an aquaintance who I could see having 80 women at her shower plus a photographer and everyone I know who knows her, including myself, definitely think she has a huge princess complex. 

• Until dd1 was 3, we had a photographer at all our parties and events. So worth every penny. 

Is it a co-Ed shower?  We usually have 60-80 guests at parties. But they are co-ed and it includes different circles. We've never had a problem spending time with everyone. But, I wouldn't expect to play games. And if you do not think you can socialize with EVERYONE, even MIL's friends, cut back our list.  

*~*Mommy to*~*
    BFP#1 Kaitlyn 11-17-04
    BFP #2 Matthew pPROM 23w5d 06-03-07, b/33 weeks 8-6-07, d/10-15-07 SIDS,
    BFP #3 m/c 8 weeks 2/20/09, BFP #4 m/c no hb 6w4d, m/c 9w4d, D&C 11w2d, BFP #5 C/P 12/18/09 after BFP- 9dpo
    BFP #6 Samantha- 11-9-10
    BFP #7 4/20/12 21 DPO beta: 2382 29 DPO beta: 23000! HB 6w2d 116 bpm due Christmas day!
    This Momma's Journey
    ~Today I am pregnant and I love my baby~ BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a huge, very close knit family.  My mom is the baby of 10, I have 8 aunts I am extremely close to and about 15 first female cousins I am close to.  We talk on Facebook and email and text almost daily.

With that being said I had three seperate showers.. my mom hosted a shower for my Maryland friends and family, we maybe had 30 people there (which I realize is a lot, but Thanksgiving with my family is normalyl 80 people, luckily my parents have a decent size house).  Then my MIL had a Delaware shower for me (since this is where I live now) and I had 20 people there.  My coworkers also threw me a shower with about 20 more people.  I realize it's hard to narrow it down, but 80 people at one shower is a bit much.

As for the photographer, I have personally never seen a pro photographer at a shower and like pp said people might think you are bit spoiled, but if it's what you want, go for it.

• imageCranang:
    Holy Sh!t.  Like a PP said, if I saw a shower with 80 people, I'd turn around and leave.  And while the photographer seems nice I guess, I would probably be side-eyeing the MTB.  Again, it's JUST a shower.  It's not a wedding.  It's a little party to celebrate you becoming a mother.  It's not that big of a deal.
    This....I only had 15 people at my shower but everyone was so generous it still took me about an hour to open gifs. I could not imagine trying to open 80! It's a shower not a wedding.
  • When I invite just my family (and not extended...meaning cousins) to anything I host there are at least 42 people there.  Add friends and my DH's family and it could easily reach 80.  I don't see a problem with that many people at a shower...especially if a MTB is only having one shower.  I've hosted some big showers and really it doesn't take that long to open the gifts.  I make sure I tell the MTB's to not read the whole card and to not be dainty opening the gifts.  Usually if there are families involved several will go in on a large gift.  That cuts down the number of gifts.  BTW...we usually serve cake during the gift opening.

• amb5353amb5353 member

I personally wouldn't do a photographer. But to each there own.

I can't say anything about the number of people. I'm not really in the loop with whats going on with my shower. I know there are going to be two thrown and I have an idea of when they are but thats it. My husband has a really big family.

My family is small so when I go to visit them we are just going to do a little gender reveal.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejociejones:

imagekcave21:

you can always tell your ex-sister-in-law's high school soccer coach that you just had a small little shower and then she won't feel left out. But then again, she will probably be reluctant to go in with the garbageman to buy you your Uppababy Vista.

Awesome. 

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • A photographer is good to have. I plan on having one at my shower as well to capture every moment.

I disagree with people saying 80 is way too much and thats probably because I have about 90 people I'm sending invitations to. I know all won't attend but majority are family and close friends. Plus as a FTM i need all the help I can get. So if your venue can fit 80 go for it. I've seen showers with over 100 people in attendance.

Put the expensive items you never know who may purchase it also the completion coupon is a plus as well.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • CranangCranang member
    imageSapphire98:

A photographer is good to have. I plan on having one at my shower as well to capture every moment.

I disagree with people saying 80 is way too much and thats probably because I have about 90 people I'm sending invitations to. I know all won't attend but majority are family and close friends. Plus as a FTM i need all the help I can get. So if your venue can fit 80 go for it. I've seen showers with over 100 people in attendance.

Put the expensive items you never know who may purchase it also the completion coupon is a plus as well.

Yeah, it's just that you're being really tacky in the process.  It's YOUR responsibiliity to buy crap for your kid.  Your friends and family aren't supposed to be giving you "all the help [you] can get."

You can disagree...doesn't make it less tacky.  You WILL be talked about behind your back.

• imageCranang:
    It's not a wedding.  It's a little party to celebrate you becoming a mother.  It's not that big of a deal.

You sound bitter and jaded about motherhood.

Becoming a mother is a big deal. I feel sorry for you. Take a few minutes and go back through posts on this board. You sound like a really sad person.  

• CranangCranang member
    imageSmileyGirl18:
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

imageCranang:
    It's not a wedding.  It's a little party to celebrate you becoming a mother.  It's not that big of a deal.

You sound bitter and jaded about motherhood.

Becoming a mother is a big deal. I feel sorry for you. Take a few minutes and go back through posts on this board. You sound like a really sad person.  

Yes

LOL.  Awwww...you feel sorry for me.  Thanks, but no thanks.

The line of mine that you quoted is 100% dead-on.

Jaded?  Maybe.  When I hear women coming on here complaining that no one is buying their stuff for them, that they're not getting the shower they want, that they want to drain their guests for an extra gift (book instead of a card, diapers, etc), that they're trying to feel like a princess because they're reproducing, it makes me a little jaded.   People get their panties in a twist over hearing some truth thrown their direction.

And yes, I know becoming a mother is a big deal--I had two daughters less than  a year apart.  Unfortunately, I only got to take one home with me.  So please don't lecture me about what a big deal motherhood is... 

• imageCranang:

This. All of this. It's a baby shower, it's not that serious. It should be a relaxed, fun event. What's next, you want it catered? Are you gonna have servers carrying silver platters with your name inscribed on them? It's a bit much. A shower is meant to be a gift to you that's for close friends and family. Not every person you've ever met.

• Liz4444Liz4444 member

Honestly, the photographer doesn't bother me.  Personally, I think 80 people is ridiculous, I can't think of 80 people I like enough to want at a shower.  MIL went to a shower with over 100 people, I told her I thought it was over the top and ridiculous, she thought it was wonderful, to each their own.

Put the expensive things on your registry, you know your guests and what their giving styles are.  My parents friends and family are big gift buyers, we got our stroller, cat seat, swing, high chair, etc.  It's also great for the completion discount.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"