Baby Showers
Options

2nd Shower in a new state?

I tried to see if this has been asked/answered before, but I couldn't find anything.

Short question: Is it in bad taste to allow someone to throw you a second shower if you are now living in a different state, and the people attending would be those who were unable to come to the shower for the 1st pregnancy?

More info: We recently moved from CA to OR and don't know many people here. We were at my stepmom's house recently and she said to me "So, I am throwing you a shower here in October."  Haha. I was a little caught off guard, so I accepted. I don't feel like there is anything wrong with accepting, since she and my stepsister and the few friends we have up here weren't able to make it to my shower with DS. It will most likely be just a small party, and I am not expecting anything. That's okay, right?

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.

Re: 2nd Shower in a new state?

• Options

I registered at Target, but its just for me and DH to keep track of things we need to get (I need a new pump, and probably some new NB size onesies), and to get the discount at the end, but its private, and I don't plan on sharing the info.

Also, because I know my stepmom well: she is the kind of person who doesn't offer unless she is very serious about the offer. So I know she thought about it and really wants to do it. That's why I don't feel too weird about it. Just thought I'd ask the experts haha

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • Options

That's really nice of her. I'd definitely take her up on it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagePunkyBooster:

That's really nice of her. I'd definitely take her up on it.

I know, she is the best. We had a really really crappy relationship when I was younger, but we get along so well now and I'm really lucky to have her. I didn't see her at all during my 1st pregnancy, (we lived far apart) and I think she just really wants to be involved this time, which is really sweet.

• Options
    imagelittlemac1117:

I tried to see if this has been asked/answered before, but I couldn't find anything.

Short question: Is it in bad taste to allow someone to throw you a second shower if you are now living in a different state, and the people attending would be those who were unable to come to the shower for the 1st pregnancy?

More info: We recently moved from CA to OR and don't know many people here. We were at my stepmom's house recently and she said to me "So, I am throwing you a shower here in October."  Haha. I was a little caught off guard, so I accepted. I don't feel like there is anything wrong with accepting, since she and my stepsister and the few friends we have up here weren't able to make it to my shower with DS. It will most likely be just a small party, and I am not expecting anything. That's okay, right?

Aside from the showers are for first time moms thing...

If you don't know many people there, who exactly would be attending your shower?   Inviting people you barely know to a gift-giving event isn't cool.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemommabear17:
    imagelittlemac1117:

Aside from the showers are for first time moms thing...

If you don't know many people there, who exactly would be attending your shower?   Inviting people you barely know to a gift-giving event isn't cool.

It would be my stepmom, stepsister, probably the two friends I have here, and my sister (who lives two hours away) would probably come too, if she can.

The friends I have here aren't new friends. They are people I've known for a long time but wasn't able to see very often until we moved here to where they live.

I don't know where I said I would be inviting people I barely know.

• Options
    imagelittlemac1117:

It would be my stepmom, stepsister, probably the two friends I have here, and my sister (who lives two hours away) would probably come too, if she can.

The friends I have here aren't new friends. They are people I've known for a long time but wasn't able to see very often until we moved here to where they live.

Well, as I bolded in your post, you said you didn't know many people.  So if you don't know many people there well, one could only assume from your post that you'd be inviting people you didn't know well.

Now that you're talking only about 5 people other than you, I'd call that more of a sprinkle than a shower. Your OP said small party.  6 people total doesn't even require a reservation at most restaurants, so I was thinking larger than that ;)

If it is truly that small, I think it is fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemommabear17:
    imagelittlemac1117:

Well, as I bolded in your post, you said you didn't know many people.  So if you don't know many people there well, one could only assume from your post that you'd be inviting people you didn't know well.

Now that you're talking only about 5 people other than you, I'd call that more of a sprinkle than a shower. Your OP said small party.  6 people total doesn't even require a reservation at most restaurants, so I was thinking larger than that ;)

If it is truly that small, I think it is fine.

Yeah, the only way I would see more people coming is if I become close with anyone at my new job. Its a possibility, I guess, but I'm thinking it'll only be a few people. I didn't know the difference between a small party and a sprinkle haha. My first shower only had like 10 people including me and DH.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"