Special Needs

need advice

I currently have my son enrolled in a group program twice a week for 2 hours and speech once a week for 25 minutes.  He is almost 2.

The group program is going well, he adores circle time, has been singing the songs he learns there at home complete with the hand motions, and seems to like all of the activities that they present, but while the transition issues have gotten better, they are still there at times.

The speech also has been going well, though the session is always so short and just zooms by.  He now has about 75 words, mostly nouns, but has started asking for more, to open, and saying verbs for what he is doing - stir, etc.  So I am excited about this progress.

Here is what I need advice about, I am wondering if I should get an ot evaluation done or get more services for him since he seems to enjoy them and they definitely seem to be helping.  We are having major tantrums lately, and while they are always very short in duration, they are intense and seem to be happening all day every day.

I was never told that he has sensory issues, though he was diagnosed as severely autistic at 20 months old.  I don't think he has any clear sensory issues - visual, smell, touch, sound.  But I was reading online that children can have sensory issues that are emotional and related to self-regulation, could he have sensory issues just in this area?  Do other sensory issues seem to pop up later?

As I have mentioned before, I do question the autism diagnosis, but I am currently trying to treat the symptoms and not focus on the diagnosis, but I go back to the diagnosis all the time and question if I am getting him the best help and services possible.  I did turn down aba, but sometimes wonder if I should add that again.  Though it would be hard to fit in with the other therapies.

He also has not been great with responding to name, if I say his name while playing he will ignore, but if I say his name followed by look at this car, he turns right away.  Is this concerning?  I always read that this is the number one indicator of asd.  But I wonder if he is just ignoring because he feels I have nothing to offer.

Re: need advice

• I would go for the evaluation. Let the therapist tell you what they see and go from there. I think in your case OT certainly couldn't hurt your son, and if there's even a chance he'd benefit from it I'd take it. I'm glad he's doing so well with his other activities. Smile
  • I would definitely go for the aba if you're noticing behavioral issues.

Sensory issues present in every child differently so it's tough to say if your child could have sensory issues. I would definitely consult with an OT given all you have mentioned about the behavior.

I can tell you my son's sensory issues are much worse now than they were a year ago. Places like the indoor bouncy place that we took him at 1 1/2 with no issues are a nightmare now and spark a strong sensory reaction.

I'm sure there are kids that don't respond to their name because they're focused on something else that are totally fine and kids who don't respond that have asd. It's going to take time before they will be able to differentiate between the two.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"