Baby Showers

Etiquette Confusion

So I know it is horribly tacky to make suggestions in your own shower, but is there a certain way to answer when the host asks you a specific question? Today my MIL asked what kind of cake I would like. I didn't know if she was making it or ordering it so I gave her two answers: white and marbled. I really am not sure how I could have answered it. I didn't want to sound snobbish asking if she was ordering it and I didn't want to sound like I was accusing her of being cheap by finding out if she was making it. I am pretty sure I am overthinking this, but I figured you ladies would know best. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Etiquette Confusion

• If you are asked what you prefer then it's ok.  There's nothing wrong with giving suggestions, making demands in significantly different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No problems.  If you're asked, then it's absolutely fine to state your preference.
  • Loading the player...
  • Um what? I would just answer her question, as you did. Ignoring a direct question would be snobbish. I guess I don't understand why you would care to ask if she was making it or buying the cake. Do you have a preference for store bought/homemade cake flavors?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSamiantha101:
    Um what? I would just answer her question, as you did. Ignoring a direct question would be snobbish. I guess I don't understand why you would care to ask if she was making it or buying the cake. Do you have a preference for store bought/homemade cake flavors?

The question was more because marbled cake is more difficult at home, but it is my preference.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are over-thinking it.  Just answer with your favorite cake and then let her know that if she has a favorite that would be OK as well.  If the host(s) asks you specific questions you can answer.  It is just a no-no to dictate what you want as far as your shower (like the post below).
  • imagerhubarb123:
    You are over-thinking it. 
    Yeah, this.  "I love marbled, but vanilla is a close 2nd".  Done and done.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• dojo1dojo1 member
    imagephq2011:

imageSamiantha101:
    Um what? I would just answer her question, as you did. Ignoring a direct question would be snobbish. I guess I don't understand why you would care to ask if she was making it or buying the cake. Do you have a preference for store bought/homemade cake flavors?

The question was more because marbled cake is more difficult at home, but it is my preference.  

Making a cake / decorating it for an event takes a minimum of an afternoon, marbled vs vanilla doesn't really add much time since by and large most marble cake recipes are made with one batter (divide in half, add stuff to one half).  It's considerate of you to think of your mil's time, but pretty much unnecessary in this case. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • KarmBKarmB member
    If she asks what you want, dont be rude and ignore her lol. Answer it.

• I'm glad my MIL asked me what flavor it was that I liked for my cake...if she didn't, I honestly wouldn't eat it.
    Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Liz4444Liz4444 member

imageleolyns:
    I'm glad my MIL asked me what flavor it was that I liked for my cake...if she didn't, I honestly wouldn't eat it.

That would be incredibly snotty of you.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"