November 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone taking out a feeding?

We have been feeding LO solids once a day for about a month now. He is now up to two ice cubes (about 2 oz) in that feeding, and on Thurs at LO's six month appointment we are going to ask about adding another feeding into the morning. Lately, as many of you have mentioned, LO has become a distracted eater. He slides around all over the place and it can be difficult for him to even finish a bottle. I have also noticed recently that now LO has started taking his tongue and pushing the nipple out of his mouth... it almost seems like he is forgetting how to eat with his bottle, because once he gets it in there he will eat. He normally eats five 7 oz bottles a day plus the solids (this is down- he used to eat 8 oz every 3 hours).

Today, at his afternoon feeding an hour before he eats his solids he started crying every time I tried to put a bottle in his mouth. So we skipped the feeding and he ate the solids fine an hour later.

Anybody else have to cut out a bottle feeding? I'm not sure if this will be permanent, and I will talk to the pedi on Thurs. I know that the solids are supposed to be a supplement to the formula... but LO seems MUCH more interested in eating his solids than his bottles... as he finishes the 2 oz in about 5-8 mins.

Re: Anyone taking out a feeding?

• Options
    caffrincaffrin member
    I wouldn't take out a feeding. If he isn't as interested in his bottles, I would lower the amount of solids he is taking in. But like you said, talk to your pedi. And update us with what the pedi says! I'm curious now!
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • Options
    When we went for dd's 6month almost a month ago we were told it we could start doing three solid meals a day. So breakfast she gets oatmeal and an ice cube of fruit lunch she gets two.ice cubes of veg and dinner is two veg cubes and a fruit cube. She will still drink 5 5-6oz bottles and usually finishes but I don't give solids and bottle at the same time. Let us know what your pedi says though!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hway24hway24 member
    imagemama&baby:

We have been feeding LO solids once a day for about a month now. He is now up to two ice cubes (about 2 oz) in that feeding, and on Thurs at LO's six month appointment we are going to ask about adding another feeding into the morning. Lately, as many of you have mentioned, LO has become a distracted eater. He slides around all over the place and it can be difficult for him to even finish a bottle. I have also noticed recently that now LO has started taking his tongue and pushing the nipple out of his mouth... it almost seems like he is forgetting how to eat with his bottle, because once he gets it in there he will eat. He normally eats five 7 oz bottles a day plus the solids (this is down- he used to eat 8 oz every 3 hours).

Today, at his afternoon feeding an hour before he eats his solids he started crying every time I tried to put a bottle in his mouth. So we skipped the feeding and he ate the solids fine an hour later.

Anybody else have to cut out a bottle feeding? I'm not sure if this will be permanent, and I will talk to the pedi on Thurs. I know that the solids are supposed to be a supplement to the formula... but LO seems MUCH more interested in eating his solids than his bottles... as he finishes the 2 oz in about 5-8 mins.

DS has started doing this too. It's frustrating sometimes, because he acts like he's hungry, but then he'll barely eat. Lately he hasn't been eating much solids either, he was eating atleast 2oz twice a day, but now he barely eats 1 oz. We basically feed on demand, so we haven't really cut out feedings, but if he won't eat, we'll just keep offering it. As long as he's eating about 30oz a day I don't worry. DS usually eats 4oz (sometimes 6) every 2 hours.

This last week has been particularly bad, I think his gums are bothering him. I don't know if your LO is teething. But I know right before his first teeth came in DS ate less. I think these next teeth are giving him a harder time though.

After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    hway24hway24 member

imagegrimmeaa:
    When we went for dd's 6month almost a month ago we were told it we could start doing three solid meals a day. So breakfast she gets oatmeal and an ice cube of fruit lunch she gets two.ice cubes of veg and dinner is two veg cubes and a fruit cube. She will still drink 5 5-6oz bottles and usually finishes but I don't give solids and bottle at the same time. Let us know what your pedi says though!!!

Our pedi told us we could go up to 3 times a day too.

After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Have you tried putting formula in a sippy cup?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesmilelari:

Ya know... I haven't done this yet but I thought of it..... do you recommend going to the sippy cup or those training cups? I will surely talk to the pedi about this too!

• Options
    Our Pedi said that LO is still to be getting 30-32 oz of formula a day.  Sometimes it's hard to get all of that in, but she said not to cut it out right now.  We are doing solids 2x/day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    imagemama&baby:

imagesmilelari:

Ya know... I haven't done this yet but I thought of it..... do you recommend going to the sippy cup or those training cups? I will surely talk to the pedi about this too!

I'm not really sure what the difference is.  We had to try a ton of sippies to find one DS would take.  He wouldn't take any that have a valve.  I'd say just try a few out and see how it goes

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"