Multiples
Options

medela symphony (hospital pump) vs Pump in Style

hospital pump (medela symphony) vs Medela pump in style? I'm getting ready to renew my pump for another month or buy the pump in style. I do have a lower supply (they are 50/50 formula and breast milk now) and I pump exclusively. Did anyone use both? was the symphony that much better then the pis?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: medela symphony (hospital pump) vs Pump in Style

• Options
    pizzo84pizzo84 member
    I had good results with the PIS but it took longer to pump for me. I did not have supply issues so I can't attest to that. I used the symphony for the first few weeks... The pump in style for about 6 months and the Medela hands free can't remember the name) for another 5 months. I liked the hands free the best.
    Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Missa_gMissa_g member
    Symphony no doubt.  I struggle with my supply and any time I have pumped with the PIS I get half the amount I get with the symphony.  Maybe with time and figuring out the correct suction and time it would be okay, but I prefer the ease of the symphony (but not the size!).
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have a PIS but at the hospital I used a symphony.  The LC at the hospital said she prefers that new moms use the symphony because it helps to increase and establish supply.  The PIS is better once you have a good supply and just want to maintain.  If you are having supply issues I think the symphony would be better.  I love my PIS but I don't have supply issues.  I've only been using it a little over a week and I'm getting a freezer supply already!

Whatever you decide good luck! 

BFP 6/20/10 1st M/C- 7/3/10~ 6 w 1 d
    BFP 9/13/10- Chemical Pregnancy discovered 9/16/10
    BFP 2/23/11 EDD 2nd M/C 3/20/10~ 7 w 6 d
    BFP 9/17/11- Twins! Alice Nichole 5/15/12 Colette Parker 5/15/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I used the Symphony for 3 months and then the PIS until I stopped pumping just a few weeks ago. My supply always SUCKED with both. I definitely noticed a difference in how the PIS felt initially, although I don't recall a significant difference in how much I was getting. My PIS was used from a friend (got new tubing and all that). If I'd had to chose between continuing to rent a Symphony or buying a new PIS, I'd have gone with the Symphony.

Also, regardless of what you're using, make sure to get a great hands free bra, if you don't have one already. That made all the difference to me.

TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    PuppinsPuppins member
    i epd with my son and am now with my trips. i use the symphony. never used the pis but i have always had better luck with the medela hand pump which seems weird. i asked lactation lady about it she said shes had several girls tell her same thing. worth a try. i used kellymom a ton when i had qs about eping. good luck
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I didn't have the Symphony, I have a different hospital grade pump- the Ameda Elite (the pump that I used in the hospital). I also have the PISA. I only use the PISA if I have to pump when I'm out or once when we lost power. I just don't find it as effective as the hospital grade pump but it is obviously more portable. FWIW, I didn't rent my hospital grade pump... I bought a used one for about what it would have cost to rent it for 5 months and about the same cost as a PISA or maybe a little less.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options

I never got any milk with the PIS. 

I rented the Symphony from the hospital for 9 months. 

I was a low / poor producer and it took all the strength of the Symphony plus herbal supplements and all the tricks to make milk. 

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thanks ladies. I'll be sticking with the symphony. Since I'm only 50/50 now with bm/formula I don't want to risk lowering my supply.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I have the PISA and just found out yesterday something was wrong with it.  The suction is like hyperactive or something...because it's like it's sucking my boobs off even on the lowest setting.  I never even realized it wasn't supposed to be that way until I went to see the LC and used the symphony.  She said that should feel stronger than mine... it was nowhere close!  Thankfully medela is sending me a new one asap. 

And also I have had supply issues since day 1 even using the symphony in the hospital.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"