Two Under 2

SAHM - Tell me your daily schedule

With one more day of school (I'm a teacher) before I begin my new job as a SAHM, Ladies, tell me your daily schedules!

I have a 16 month old, and a baby on the way in June. We had/have a pretty great nap/eating schedule with our 16 month old, and plan to get our new LO on the same one (eating at 3, 6, 9 and 12...with naps in between).

I am wondering what your daily activities look like with your LOs? Do you have floor time/book time with your LO at the same time everyday? Do you go on errands every day to get out of the house? What do you fill the time with if you do not go on errands that day? I am thinking there are only so many trips to Target I'm going to be able to take with 2 under 2...

I would love to know how you ladies fill your days!! You can be specific; I won't mind! =)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: SAHM - Tell me your daily schedule

• I'm a SAHM to a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old. 

First, I would get those trips to Target right out of your head.  While it may be possible, it's not worth it for the amount of work it takes to get a toddler and a newborn out of the house and to the store....Amazon Prime is your friend.

That said, we do leave the house every single day.  I belong to 2 Mom's groups with the toddler and we go on "field trips" just about every day.  We go to the farm, the aquarium, the zoo, the playground, etc.  We have play dates twice a week.  I go out of my mind having to sit in the house, but taking both kids to the grocery store is not "fun" for my toddler, so chances are he's going to throw a fit at some point, and it's just usually a huge mess.

We do have a typical schedule though that we follow almost every day.

8:30 - everyone wakes up
    8:30-9:30 - eat breakfast, usually eggs or french toast or yogurt
    9:30-10:15 - get everyone dressed and changed, I get ready, get all drinks and snacks ready for our outing
    10:30-12:30 - whatever adventure we're doing that day
    1:00 - lunch at home
    2:00-3:30 - toddler naps
    2:00-5:30 - baby naps
    3:30-5:00 - I do an activity with my toddler...a letters or numbers lesson, dancing to music, we do a lot of painting, puzzles, books etc.  I also cook dinner during this time.
    5:15 - DH gets home from work and we eat dinner and he plays with the kids for a little while
    6:45 - DH takes the dogs to the dog park and drops the kids and me off at the nearby playground.  When he's done with the dogs he joins us at the park and plays with my toddler.
    8:30 - bedtime for my toddler
    9:30 - bedtime for the baby

My baby sleeps off and on throughout the morning but since we are always out he naps on the go.  We do different things every day, but we have the exact same routine every day.  I'd go nuts if I had to stay in the house all day!

• RA - that was really helpful. Thank you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine are 14 months apart. Dd is 1 and ds is 2. (13 months and 27 months) For the first few months everything basically stayed the same for DS bc DD would stay in her swing or bouncy seat and then sleep.. Dd was an awesome baby. To me that was a pretty easy time. It's now that they are both mobile that it's harder. 

Here is our schedule now:

DS up at 7:30 and DD up at 8:15

Breackfast 8:30 eggs, toast, oatmeal - easy stuff

8-45-9:00 everyone changed and dressed *i usually get ready while we wait for dd to wake up

If we are doing an outing - shopping, zoo, story time at the library - whatever it is, it's done between 9:30-12. We are always back home by 12:30. If we stay home we play outside, inside, color, playdoh, paint, kiddie pool, we read tons of books - whatever. They are so young nothing is structured really. 

11:45-12:30 lunch - depending on if we went anywhere

1-3:30 they both nap and I do chores

3:30-4 snack and a show - I am still doing chores

4-5ish play/ read

5:30 cook supper if it's not in crockpot

6:30 dh gets home we eat

7:15 bath and play

8:30 dd bed

9:30 ds bed

10 my bed. Whew.  

Thats basically it. I am busy every second!!!!  

• It's been a while since I had 2u2 that were babies (sniffle, lol) but hopefully this is helpful!

We never structured our days where we did book time at exactly 915am everyday. We kind of go with the flow.

The only thing really structured about our days are--

630-get up

7-breakfast

9am-snack/DD nap #1

10-1--out for morning. We do things like story time/children's museum/beach/zoo/park/playground depending on the weather/time of year.

1130-12ish--lunch. Sometimes we're home for it, sometimes we do a picnic style lunch wherever we are.

1-4 DS nap/DD nap #2 (not the whole 3 hours though--I wish!)

4-dinner for kids (they eat leftovers from the previous night)

530-dinner for DH and I

We've pretty much stuck to this loose schedule since DD was born. When she was napping a lot, she would nap in the ergo at whatever activity we were at for the day. Getting out of the house and doing fun activities with my older child trumped having baby home for every nap for me since my sanity was important. lol

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our schedule is "special" since my husband works 2nd shift but it's pretty close to what we were doing when he worked 1st, just with fewer morning outings. 

6ish - first wake up

6-8 Lounge on couch and watch tv, nurse, mom eats breakfast etc (I know it's 2 hours of tv which is bad, but sometimes the toddler sleeps until 8 so those days it's not, it depends when he wakes up, and I figure if it's in place of sleep he's not getting a little tv time is not the end of the world)

8-9 change both kids, put baby down for nap #1, dad wakes up (hopefully)

9-10 breakfast for dad and toddler, baby napping, mom tidying kitchen etc

10-12 this is where our outings used to happen, some days we still go out but I hate losing time with my husband so a lot of days we just stay home and play together, other days I'll go out with just one kid or by myself to the grocery store etc.

12-1 toddler down for a nap, lunch, playtime with baby

1-3 (hopefully) both babies asleep, mom does chores

3-5 toddler playtime (we usually play in the backyard together or do some messy art that I don't want to do with both awake)

5-7 afternoon outing - we have several friends who are working parents and we get together with them at this time

7-8 home, make dinner (just for me, toddler doesn't eat dinner), put baby to bed

8-9 bedtime routine with toddler

9:30 toddler asleep, brief mom time

10 dad home, mom and dad watch one tv show together and then I go to bed

• I was a teacher also. We have breakfast first thing in the morning then if I am planning to go out with them I usually do it before 1 when we are all fresh and energized and so they get tired out and nap when they get home. During this time I just watch tv and/or cook and clean so when they get up I dont have to worry about juggling. I also like to try to get out with them after their naps. Sometimes we walk to the park or just play in the backyard.

On days we can't get out I break up their play time between play doh, cartoons, reading time, coloring, and sometimes we even bake together.  I usually give them a long bath which they love to play in at around 11-12 so they nap right after. The naps really break up the day and are my sanity. I am revamped after them.

The baby was very easy the first year because she slept so much and was content just hanging out. I timed her naps around my son because she fell asleep so easily so I would keep her up until he fell asleep. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageRA1109:

First, I would get those trips to Target right out of your head.  While it may be possible, it's not worth it for the amount of work it takes to get a toddler and a newborn out of the house and to the store....Amazon Prime is your friend.

This makes me sad [I LOVE Target]... but at least I already have Amazon Prime!  Smile  Thanks for asking this question, because I'm in the same situation!  [25 weeks prego, DD and DS will be 20 mos. apart!]

• Also... my DH seems to think that once I become a SAHM (I'm another teaching quitting as soon as this year is over!) that I will be cleaning the house/taking care of the babies All. Day. Long.  I'm trying to get him to understand that it'll be necessary/possible for us to have "outings" yet still have a decent home.  Maybe I should show him some of your "schedules."
  • Well, I posted my schedule for u but this is what I didn't really realize until I had DD - when the kids are awake, you need to be involved. Maybe not down on the floor playing w them every second but watching them, correcting them, teaching them - in my case, a bored toddler is cranky and misbehaves badly - Making those outings extremely important! The days I keep them busy and engaged, they are more well behaved and tired by nap time. Unfortunately, nap time is chore time for me and I am very tired but usually power through to keep my home up. However, if I feel bad or am exhausted from a rough night then I'll nap too and the house waits... And on those days I'll buy a rotisserie chicken, open a couple cans of veggies and pop some rolls in the oven! I also find they are better if they have 3 meals and 3 snacks during the day. 

After DD was born, my DS started acting crazy and it was simply he wasn't getting the same attn. So, after the 1st week bringing DD home I was determined for him to keep the same schedule. Luckily DD was an angel and it worked out. And we went on outings a couple of times per week. Packing for them was a pain but In the long run I felt better and ds was happier - DD could have cared less bc she slept thru it! I didn't do tedious things like grocery shop (I'd wait and do that on sat when dh could watch them) unless I was just getting a few things. I would go to more child friendly places like the zoo or park or I'd put them in their stroller and go walk a mile or 2. HTH! 

• delg23delg23 member

Ha, I've done Target & Walmart this week. It wasn't horrible but I got some crazy looks lol. 

7am-wake up, breakfast for toddler, nurse baby, I take a shower

8:30 get them dressed, finish myself..brushing hair, make up etc 

I may squeeze in a nap for the baby depending on his mood 

10am(ish)-go to the playground or store depending if I need to go to the store or not

12:00 home, lunch

1:30-5 nap for toddler, part of that is nap for the baby too, some house chores, don't get much done to be honest

6pm-dinner

7:30 bath for both unless baby is cranky then we do it earlier

8 bedtime for both

10/10:30 bedtime for me 

• I was having some computer troubles the past couple days, so I'm just getting to your responses now. Thank you so much for posting! I feel like I have a much better starting point to this new *wonderful* life of SAHM. =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • laura1laura1 member
    imageherlysgirly:
    imageRA1109:

This makes me sad [I LOVE Target]... but at least I already have Amazon Prime!  Smile  Thanks for asking this question, because I'm in the same situation!  [25 weeks prego, DD and DS will be 20 mos. apart!]

We still did Target (and still do) once a week, and mine are 15 months apart - I love Target, and needed to go for my own sanity (and supplies!).  

My kiddos are older now, and I work 2 days a week, but we have always had a routine.  

7am wake up, get dressed, breakfast

8:30am DD took a nap

9:30 - 12 Leave the house for whatever activity (one day it was Little Gym, another was music, another was errand day (aka Target day)

12:30-1 Home for lunch

1 Everyone naps

4pm-5:30 - depending on weather or the day, we played at home, went to playgroup, or went for a walk/trip to the playground

5:30 kids eat

6-6:15 bath time

6:30 get ready for bed

7 bed for them both.

When DD was an infant, she didn't have a schedule - she just napped on the go.  When she was about 5 months, I started putting her down for those set nap times, and that lasted until 13 months.  Now, she and DS both go down at 1...DS often just does quiet time, DD will nap for 2 hours.   

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"