C-sections
Options

C-section?

I recently posted this in the "3rd Trimester" board and thought I would post it here as well.

Hello moms and moms-to-be,

I will be 38 weeks pregnant on Wednesday. Next Thursday I am scheduled to be induced, due to hypertension and diabetes. My doctor is telling me I may have to have a c-section. I am TERRIFIED. I have 2 other children and both of them were delivered vaginally. My oldest son, who is now 7, was a big baby (so the doctor said) inside the womb, but he turned out to be around 6 pounds, 12 ounces. My youngest son, who is now 4, was around 6 pounds, 9 ounces. They said he was a big baby as well. I have never had a c-section, but I've heard horror stories about it. I am ashamed to say that I am not married, so I don't have any real help with my children. If I have to have a c-section, I heard I couldn't hardly do anything around the house for at least a month. I am so scared that I won't be able to care for my other two, and I also heard it was very painful. My question is, has anyone been through a c-section, and if so, how was your experience? I really need some reassurance. Tongue Tied

Thank you,

Nora

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C-section?

• Options

I am having my 2nd, elective C-section on 7/2/12. (well assuming my GD doesn't interfere & make me go sooner). But my 1st was very easy. I was walking up & down steps by day 7. and by the 2nd week felt pretty much back to normal. You can't exercise or do anything extreme but normal day to day is just fine. I don't recommend bending too much the 1st 2 weeks but having 2 children already maybe they can do the bending for you. Maybe try talking to them now, just in case...I tell my 5 yr old that I'm gonna need a big helper for a lil bit. And she is anxious to start helping.

I wanna say don't be scared but easier said than done...I was afraid of labor. I knew I was having a big baby, she was 4 days late & I went in the dr office and basically said, I think I want a c-section. and the next day that's what happened. I think the planning is what calmed me. And I realized when they took my 8lb, 12 oz. 21 1/2inch baby girl out - I made the right decision.

Best of luck!!

*****Soon To Be Mrs. B***** Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had a c-section 3/22, and I also work in a hospital and attend deliveries as part of my job. My c-section was schedulded for 3/27 (due to large baby, and he was), and it was moved up due to my blood pressure getting too high. I had a spinal placed to numb me for the surgery. It pinched a bit, but didn't hurt nearly as bad as I was expecting. The surgery itself, start to finish was about 40 minutes or so. I had a touch of nauesa (normal) during the surgery. I told my anesthesiologist, and he gave me meds for it before anything happened. After the surgery the nurses were really good about bringing me my pain meds. It takes a few hours for the spinal to wear off...and I felt pretty good until the next morning when I had to get out of bed. The first time I had to get up...I have never hurt like that. However, once I was up, I was good. Just getting in and out of bed was tough for about 3 days. You are definately not going to be vacuuming or moping for a few weeks after a c-section. I helped my husband get us moved at about 3 weeks post partum (he lifted the heavy stuff, but I helped pack). I took my percocet for a total of 5 days, and motrin for about 5 more days after that. Yes, you are going to be sore...but I didn't think it was that bad...and I'm a wimp. The strangest thing is, once you are basically healed up, the numb spots on your belly (they cut nerves when you are cut open). Not painful, just weird. As for your LO, it depends on your hospital. Where I work (and had my baby), as long as LO is doing well, they bring baby to you for a minute or two, then take him to the nursery to be weighed/bathed, etc. By the time your surgery is done, and you are monitored in recovery for a bit (I was about 45 minutes), LO is brought to your room! Yes, there is pain involved, but its not that bad. At least I didn't think so. The hardest part is just getting up and down, especially if you are holding LO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    After 22 hours of labor and 1 1/2 hours of pushing I had to have an emergency c-section.  I was terrified going into my induction for the exact same reasons you're getting induced - I was determined to have her vaginally but she just wasn't fitting through my pelvis and became stressed.  Once her heart rate dropped it was off to the operating room we went.  The surgery went extremely well and so did my recovery.  My LO had problems at first regulating her blood sugar so she had to stay in the nursery because she needed an iv.  She was born at 2:29 pm Tuesday and around 6 pm I got out of bed and into the wheel chair to go to the nursery to see her.  Then again at 10 pm after when we learned her iv went bad and they couldn't get a new one placed.  She had to be transferred to a larger hospital with a NICU so they could give her a different type of iv there.  I was up and moving Wednesday morning around 9 am and walking the halls that afternoon.  I found I was most sore after laying in bed for long periods of time, sitting up was the most comfortable and although it pulled some it felt great to be up and moving around.  Due to circumstances and me getting along so well I was able to get out at 10 am Thursday and my parents drove me to the other hospital that was an hour away to be with my daughter & husband.  You'll definitely be sore but the best thing is to get up and moving once you can.  That helped me a ton.... and all the adrenaline I had running because I wanted to get to my daughter and husband.  Don't expect a pristine house for a few weeks because there will be things that you won't be able to do.  It was a good week before I could bend over to get things off the floor.  If you have a close friend or family member that could help out around the house the first week or two I would recommend having them stay over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had a c-section for my breech babies. I read a lot of horror stories about being stuck in bed for weeks afterwards and even watched a video of a c-section on YouTube (I don't recommend doing that).

My c-section was a piece of cake compared to what I thought it would be like. I didn't even know they had started until I asked my husband. I didn't feel any of the pressure or tugging they say you may feel. I didn't even know they had gotten the babies out until they cried.

The most painful part for me was the gas bubbles I got in my upper back and neck that night. I just asked for another pain killer and they gave me some Gas-X and it got better. They had me standing within 12 hours, and I was walking around and showered within 24 hours.

I had my c-section on a Friday morning and was ready to go home on Monday. My babies had to stay for another day to gain weight so they let me stay until Tuesday as well. I live in a split level home and I was climbing the stairs and lifting my babies out of their cribs without problems the day I got home. I went on a two mile walk pushing my double stroller when they were 2.5 weeks old.

Everyone is different but I just wanted to share my very positive experience. No doubt standing/walking the first 24 hours was not fun but I was surprised how quickly I began to feel normal. I think the key for me was to keep moving. The more I stood (even just next to the bed) and moved around the room/hallways the easier it got every time.  

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had to do induction due to GD and hypertension as well. My doctor questioned my baby was larger but didn't flat out say it (I was measuring 5 weeks ahead by induction day). I figured there was no way I had a large baby in there, my first was a GD baby and come out at 6lbs 13oz and was a great vaginal delivery!

DD had not come down at all on induction day. I was dialated a little though and the pitocin really got my body going. By 8cm I started getting stalled and DD still had not come down.

My ob was already calling c-section by that point because she had me on the limit of pit and my body still wasn't showing her a consistent pattern but the nurses asked her to let me push a bit, especially since I had been dialating. They were arguing that I was already 9cm but my doc told them she was only getting me at an 8.

After pushing and noticing DD's heart rate was having fluctuations and she still wasn't budging we went in for the c-section.

I didn't have time to think beforehand. Tons of people were in the room talking and then they were wheeling me down all while I was in deep contractions (I chose not to get an epi while laboring). They did a quick spinal and it wasn't bad (though all I was focusing on was getting through contractions at that point and didn't care what they were doing!).

From cut to baby was super fast. And she was definetly large - 9lbs 6oz. 

The hospital stay was the most painful part of recovery (so those first 48 hours). They had to switch my pain meds because the first med they gave me wasn't cutting down pain. It was hard to go to the bathroom or just pull up my underwear!

After I got home I was still uncomfortable those next few days but not as bad as in the hospital. It was definetly rougher than I thought it would be though. You don't realize how much you use those muscles and, for me, there were many times I it felt like I was ripping my incision open just by getting off the couch (or sneezing!). I ended up sleeping in our chair so I didn't have far to move when I got up.

That first week was the roughest for me. My DH was at home helping but if he hadn't been I definetly would have been able to function enough for my kids so don't worry too much that you probably won't have help (if you end up with one).

Just like PP said, everyone is different. Recovery is harder if it's your first and you have labored first but hopefully you won't have to have a c-section at all! Wishing you the best!!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"