Blended Families
Options

non-BF - non-permanent hair color

I have never dyed my hair before, it is naturally dark brown with red highlights.  I have some gray hair but not a lot, as in I notice it but DH has literally ever seen one gray hair and he is way taller than me, kids will make you gray!!!  I am considering dying my hair, mostly because I think I can use a change, I have gained about 15 pounds in the last 9 months or so and need something different that can help me get out of this rut and feel better about myself.  And hell, hair grows back.  I actually think I am going to cut it too, right now it is almost mid-back and I will probably go mid-shoulder.  Oh hell, here is a recent pic of me with the kids in London, crappy pic but you get the idea.  As you can see I am white as can be and mostly burn during the summer, and I get freckles on my nose during the summer.

Anyone know of a brand that permanent?  Any color suggestion?

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: non-BF - non-permanent hair color

• Options
    Why not treat yourself to the salon and let a professional take care of the color? I haven't dyed my hair from a box in awhile, because when I did, it caused some major damage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSamiantha101:
    Why not treat yourself to the salon and let a professional take care of the color? I haven't dyed my hair from a box in awhile, because when I did, it caused some major damage.

I might, I was just thinking that if I used something temporary I would be able to figure out if I liked the color, I am too chicken to go permanent and hate to pay that kind of money for temporary. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jaded99jaded99 member

I would give Natural Instincts a try.  It's definately affordable, easy to use and washes out in approx. 28 shampoos.  I've noticed that if i don't like the color the first couple days, I like it a lot after because it kind of mellows out.

https://www.clairol.com/en-US/products/natural-instincts/natural-hair-color

• Options

depends what color you want to go- any blonde color leave to a professional (trust me, I've done it atleast 5x out of a box and every time had to get it fixed at the salon.)  I've also done jet black with blue tint out of a box, that came out good but my college roomate did it and got half my forhead, that took a while to come off.  I recently did brown semi-permanent (to get rid of a bad blonde job) and it faded after about a month to my "natural" color without making a huge disaster.  granted, I don't have greys but I bet a semi-permanent color would cover the greys. 

I bet you could do a dark brown with some subtle red highlights, that would look really pretty! (any highlights I would suggest leaving to a pro) and  mid shoulder chop would look cute as well! :)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think the key us if you are staying in the same family of colors itS ok to do yourself. I like the natural instincts brand too . Im naturally blonde do when I did it myself I just stayed in the golden blonde family. I would be very c areful with reds. They can go very wrong.
  • Options

imagekarleegirl:
    I think the key us if you are staying in the same family of colors itS ok to do yourself. I like the natural instincts brand too . Im naturally blonde do when I did it myself I just stayed in the golden blonde family. I would be very c areful with reds. They can go very wrong.

What do you mean by very wrong?  I would never do blond, I think I would look silly but am considering a red shade.  

• Options

I am partial to dark hair, but with your skin tone, I really think you would be a sexy blonde. Especially for summer time. It might give you that pick me up you need. If you are feeling 'bla' enough to ask, I think you deserve to just pay the money once an get it done. I have never dyed my hair either so I don't know much, but I know enough to know that box stuff can really screw w your hair. My mom always has her professionally done (her natural hair is your color and she is always a blonde in the summer and a brunette in the fall/winter lol) an every once in a while she gets a hair up her butt and doesn't want to pay, so she gets a box. Every.single.time she is in her girls chair less than a week later saying 'I'm sorry, please fix it'. Lol. I think you would enjoy a change, and since summer is upon us, and you are fair w cute freckles (I'm a freckle face, and they have gotten darker and more since having babies argh...) I think blonde w maybe some streaks of a light chocolate would look really great. Ok I'll stop now.  

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Options
    imageLittlejen22:

imagekarleegirl:

What do you mean by very wrong?  I would never do blond, I think I would look silly but am considering a red shade.  

Reds can fade and turn into crazy colors if you aren't careful. I have a friend who is a cosmetologist and she says that blonde and red are the hardest to get exactly right. Not that I know first hand, I just know what she has told me. I think blonde would look great on you, Jen! 

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Options

Blondes on dark hair, without stripping it first, WILL turn orange. There is no maybe about that. So If you want to play with that, please stick with a professional. Reds can easily turn pinkish/purple. Done that many many times, though when you are 25 purple hair is kind of fun ;) I really like loreal's color lines and garnier as well. I would choose a color similar to what you have, and your natural highlights will come through. I will say I can get semi-perm color, all over at a salon for $60 an I have hair as long as yours, if not a weeee bit longer. And I have a lot of grey. If you hate the color, it's easy enough to get rid of. Shampoo with Pret or Prell (if they even make them anymore) hair spray also strips color. 

I don't think you have ever posted pics I yourself before-pretty lady!!! 

• Options

I agree with the red thing. I find red looks so lovely on us fair girls, but it fades so quickly, and sometimes to something you're not expecting... Joy.

Whenever I've gotten blonde chunks from the salon, she always puts a toner on it so that it doesn't become brassy. I'm not sure if you can get toner at the drugstore, but if you're thinking blonde, I'd suggest looking for some.

I've always used l'Oreal boxed dye, and found it turned out pretty well. I don't really have any colour suggestions for you. I wish I was more creative like that. Good luck, and maybe you could post a picture of your new look?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

First of all, you are adorable!!!

Second, I never could get the box stuff to go to a color I wanted it to be, and I have dark hair like you.  I get the good stuff at a beauty supply place and do it myself now.  Since you are a first timer, I would treat yourself to a an afternoon at the salon and let them get it the color you will love!

• Options
    imageLittlejen22:

imagekarleegirl:

they can turn all kind of different shades of pink and even Purple. You could try a darker brown with hints of red. My bff and I spent a lot of money getting our hair 'fixed' by a cosmetologist after we attempted putting red (way different from our natural hair color) in our hair.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"