Baby Showers

Thank you notes

Hello!

My shower is in about 3 weeks and out of town in my home town (1300 miles away - I am flying to it). I have already received several gifts that my guests have had shipped to me from off of my registry. How do I handle thank you's? I was thinking I would send one now - thanking them for the gift and indicating I am excited to see them at the shower, and then sending another thank you note after the shower, thanking them for attending. I also planned to print out pics off the BRU website of the gifts that were bought to acknowledge and thank them and pass around at the shower. Is this appropriate? Am I doing it wrong - should I do more/less/something completely different?

Not sure if it matters, but none of the gifts (so far) were wrapped or anything, so I did not actually "open" anything... It was obvious what they were (i.e. stroller box sitting on my front porch).

Thanks so much  for your help!

Re: Thank you notes

• I would just send out a thank you note once, after the shower.  The thank you note can thank the person for the gift and for attending the shower.  

I don't think you need to pass around pics of gifts you have received. As a guest I wouldn't be interested and it would just add extra time to the gift opening process which is already long enough.  Just make sure you individually acknowledge the person at the shower during your coversation with them and let them know you received the gift.  Besides I know when I mail gifts ahead of time for out of towners, I generally put a pic of the gift in the card.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • All good points - thanks for the response! I am actually thinking that there won't be many gifts to open - seems everyone is sending them to me - that is why I was thinking about the pics. Not to mention, there will only be about 20- 25 people at the shower. Does that make a difference in your opinion? Usually, I am right there with you - the long drawn out gift opening is boring...

• Loading the player...
  • MelleTXMelleTX member
    Just enjoy the time visiting with your guests. Be sure to mention to Aunt Sally that you received the bouncy seat and can't wait until Junior can test it out. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • lex382lex382 member
    I have the same situaiton next month - I know my friend throwing the shower asked people to put a picture of what they bought in the card (and I think that most people would do that anyway).  I plan on sending out thank you notes afterward (I'm actually bringing them with me so I have something to do on the plane on the way back).  Have fun!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thank them now, so they don't worry about whether you received the gifts or not. I wouldn't bother sending out a second "thank you for attending" card, but I guess you could if you really wanted to. And I wouldn't pass around pictures of what people got you at the shower. It would just seem awkward. Thanking the individual that gave you the gift is enough.
  • imagejociejones:
    Thank them now, so they don't worry about whether you received the gifts or not. I wouldn't bother sending out a second "thank you for attending" card, but I guess you could if you really wanted to. And I wouldn't pass around pictures of what people got you at the shower. It would just seem awkward. Thanking the individual that gave you the gift is enough.

This exactly. Send a thank you as you get the gift, even though you're pretty sure it's tied to the shower.  I'd open all gifts that came early, even if they were wrapped - why not? The alternative is to bring them with you and open them there (defeating the point of them shipping the gift) OR opening them after the shower (which means you wouldn't be able to talk to the giver about the gift and thank them in person if you want to).  Not good.

No need to do a "thank you for coming to my shower" thank you card - you can say that verbally. You do send a thank you for gifts, no matter when you received them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"