Special Needs

My son was diagnosed with focal seizures today

Joey who is 3 years old, has now had 3 seizures... one 3 months ago, one 3 weeks ago, and one last night.  He had an EEG 2 weeks ago.  Tomorrow he will start on Trileptal.  As of now it doesn't seem to be affecting his everyday life.  He was born premature, had some gross motor and speech delays, but by 2.5 was caught up.  The sessions began right after he turned 3, occuring when he's sleeping.  He wakes up, vomits, and then is in a state of consciousness between awake and asleep for up to 45 min.  His eyes are open often, he looks around, but does not respond verbally to anything... he does not convulse.  We are glad to have a diagnosis and hope the medication really helps.  We are also praying his identical twin doesn't develop them also.  Just thought I'd start hanging out somewhere where people may have similar situations.  

Re: My son was diagnosed with focal seizures today

• I have a story for you!

My BIL had seizures at night as well (although his were full on convulsions).  He is my husband's twin brother and my husband has never had a seizure in his life.  I hope that is reassuring to you and that your other son will stay seizure-free.  My BIL seems to have grown out of his seizures and hasn't had one in years, although he had many as a child and yes, took medication for them. 

My older son had a few seizures as an infant.  We did Trileptal, but he had an allergic reaction.  We started a different med, our insurance lapsed for 2 months, and we never got back to the neurologist.  Fortunately, he has not as a seizure since.  They run in both sides of the family though so we will keep an eye out for them. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • kar5162kar5162 member
    Thinking of you guys and Joey.
  • Loading the player...
  • Praying for you guys. My LO has epilepsy, too, and the medicine has controlled the seizures beautifully. Sometimes I forget he has epilepsy except for taking the meds twice a day!

Will you get/ have you had an MRI done on his noggin? 

• Yes we are having an MRI, not sure when, in the next 2 months the neurologist said.  Basically to check to make sure there's not something in his temporal lobe that's causing them since that's where the abnormal waves originated from on the EEG.  

Thanks for the responses.  He started Trileptal today.  We're just hoping it works for him! 

• Our son takes trileptal and keppra for focal seizures (due to a brain tumor).  So far the trileptal has helped him a lot, especially in the speech department, and we no longer have the ticks that our son was experiencing!  Good luck with the trileptal, hope it helps your guy as much as it has ours!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"