Blended Families

XP: Sticky Family Situation

*Warning in advance this may get kinda long. I need some real opinions here and appreciate anyone who takes time to read.*

A little back story, when I was three my mom and I moved here to Virginia from Ohio. I was raised here and still live here. When I was 7 my biological father signed his rights away and I was adopted by my step dad. I never heard from or saw my biological father again until I was 18, and I have only met him one time. My step dad raised me, but abused me as well. 

My mom and step dad divorced when I was 17 because she was committing adultery and they were fighting a lot anyway. She put me in a bad situation getting him kicked out of the house because she knew I was able to get under his skin, but took him back, putting me at more risk.

Okay fast forward to about now. My mom also has a child with my adoptive father so of course there is still some ties. Well he is trying to have something to do with me and my daughter. My biological father never will because he is still a POS. He wants to come see her at some point and believe he should be considered her grandpa, but he wasn't a father to me so why does he deserve that? He gave up on me. My step dad beat me, but says my mom blamed stuff on me. I never know who is lying because my mom lies a lot too.

Well, my mother is married currently and my daughter calls him papi. She thinks thats her grandpa and that eats my adoptive father and biological father alive. My adoptive father says "he raised me," but he was mean to me and my biological father wasn't even here for me and I wont let him have a chance to hurt DD the way he did me.

Okay...Some input please? I know, I know I am in a effed up situation and will probably need therapy for the rest of my life. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Sticky Family Situation

• I think you are completely right in keeping your DD away from both your BF and SF. If your mothers current H is a good guy, then it sounds like you already know who should be able to be grandpa.

I'm sorry about your crappy situation, that can't be easy.

• aggy34aggy34 member
    What are you comfortable with?  You say your bio father is not part of your life and your adoptive father abused you do you see either of these people as someone you want your DD to have in her life in such as role.  If DD is around you mom's current husband to have a relationship with and wants to call him papi and you are comfortable with that and so is he than that is what matters.  I am a believer in it should be the child's choice what they want to call someone as long as it is respectful and appropriate. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You get to choose who is allowed in your child's life.  Period.  Regardless of biology, paternity, time spent during your formative years, anything.  If there are people who were harmful to you in the past and you suspect they might be harmful to you or your child in the future, you are well within your rights to limit or deny time with your family.  Especially if your mom is no longer married to him.  You have no obligation to either of them.  You have to do what is in the best interest of your child. If anyone else objects to that, Screw 'em. 

BTW, it was NOT ok for him to abuse you, even if your mom "blamed things on you."  You are a child of God and are inherently worthy of so much better treatment. 

Be strong honey.  What you're doing right now is breaking a cycle of dysfunction, abandonment and abuse.  It's hard, but you're doing a good thing.  Something your daughter will appreciate in later years.  

• Tell abusive SF and deadbeat BF to f-off and not to contact you again? You owe them nothing. They don't deserve a relationship with your dd or you for that matter. 
  • Cut your ties with people that abused you or we're not there for you. No matter what your Mom said or did he was an adult and chose to abuse you. Stop giving them information about you unless you truly think they are remorseful and would never do anything to hurt you physically or emotionally again. I know this is hard but you have a child now and a new family, move past what happened but do not let them take more from you. And you gland your child get to choose if your Moms husband is her Grandfather. 
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • You do exactly what you want--nothing more and nothing less. You don't owe any of them anything. It sounds like they were all abusive towards you, and they don't deserve a relationship with you or your family.
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thank you all for your replies. You're all right, DD is mine and I chose. So from here on out BF and AF is out of the scenario and my current SF will continue to be papi. DD loves him and he is good to her. She deserves better than what I got.
  • Do what feels right in your gut and heart. If you don't want either man in your life or your DD's life, then don't allow them to be in your life. 

Don't do it if it's because everyone else is telling you it's the right thing to do - especially if you feel like it's not right.

If you're not in counseling - seek it and try to find some peace and forgiveness for all the hurt these two men caused you.

• imagessf10:
    ... She deserves better than what I got.

Yes she does. 

Good luck to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"