Food Allergy

Hives after PB contact --question

So DD has a milk allergy and is currently on Alimentum. Nutramigen was not working and cutting out dairy from my diet was not working. All seemed fine - she has slowly been getting better and her eczema is getting under control. I've suspected that she is allergic to more than just diary since she kept having terrible eczema flare up all the time while i was BFing even though I eliminated all forms of dairy from my diet. She was on the Nutramigen for a week and has been on Alimentum for about a week also.

last night DS did not want to eat dinner to I made him a slice of toast with peanut butter. I rinsed my hands and picked her up. I did not wash my hands with soap and water -- just a quick rinse. about 30-45 minutes later I notice 2 huge hives on the back of her neck - right at the hairline. And also a few really small ones (more like pimples).

I gave some Benadryl and caladryl to help with the itchiness and she went to bed without a problem. I put in a call to the pedi this morning and I'm waiting to hear back.

Would you have called the emergency line last night or taken her to the ER? What would you have done? I'm never sure if I'm handling her situations in the right manner. Also - if you child gets hives from something like PB - how long do they take to go away?

TIA

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Hives after PB contact --question

• DS#3 has had a couple of contact reactions to milk and peanut butter. Benadryl took care of the hives so I didn't call anyone. I wouldn't take him to the ER if the meds worked (unless of course the epi was administered). Chalk it up to mama handling the situation! As for how long it took for the hives to go away - I really don't remember. But they didn't hang around for the day or anything. I'm pretty sure the Benadryl worked fairly quickly on them.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• NiniJ55NiniJ55 member

imageluvmagoldn:
    DS#3 has had a couple of contact reactions to milk and peanut butter. Benadryl took care of the hives so I didn't call anyone. I wouldn't take him to the ER if the meds worked (unless of course the epi was administered). Chalk it up to mama handling the situation! As for how long it took for the hives to go away - I really don't remember. But they didn't hang around for the day or anything. I'm pretty sure the Benadryl worked fairly quickly on them.

Thank you! Well, although she is not itching as bad -- the bumps/ hives are still there.  I guess that's what worries me the most.

• Loading the player...
  • imageNiniJ55:

imageluvmagoldn:
    DS#3 has had a couple of contact reactions to milk and peanut butter. Benadryl took care of the hives so I didn't call anyone. I wouldn't take him to the ER if the meds worked (unless of course the epi was administered). Chalk it up to mama handling the situation! As for how long it took for the hives to go away - I really don't remember. But they didn't hang around for the day or anything. I'm pretty sure the Benadryl worked fairly quickly on them.

Well, although she is not itching as bad -- the bumps/ hives are still there.  I guess that's what worries me the most.

for us the eczema/bumps go away usually shortly after we give benadryl. But we usually give benadryl every 8 hours for 3 days.  If we dont, they come back.

You did everything right. ER wouldn't have done much unless there is an issue with breathing or swelling.  The only thing they would have kept checking is her breathing. 

Until she gets tested, i would put that PB away (anything with peanuts) and not serve it at all in the house. it's so easy for your DS to eat it and then kiss your DD.. my LO had an anaphalexis when he touched egg and then rubbed it into his eye (like most babies like to rub their eyes when tired)

• NiniJ55NiniJ55 member
    imagemagdusia:
    imageNiniJ55:

imageluvmagoldn:

Well, although she is not itching as bad -- the bumps/ hives are still there.  I guess that's what worries me the most.

for us the eczema/bumps go away usually shortly after we give benadryl. But we usually give benadryl every 8 hours for 3 days.  If we dont, they come back.

You did everything right. ER wouldn't have done much unless there is an issue with breathing or swelling.  The only thing they would have kept checking is her breathing. 

Until she gets tested, i would put that PB away (anything with peanuts) and not serve it at all in the house. it's so easy for your DS to eat it and then kiss your DD.. my LO had an anaphalexis when he touched egg and then rubbed it into his eye (like most babies like to rub their eyes when tired)

Thanks.  I only gave her the one dose before bed last night.  I did not dose her again --I've just been treating her with Caladryl for the itching.  What's worse is that it's right in her hair so it's hard to really see well.

I do think I will be getting rid of the PB in the house for now.  I just can't think of anything else it could be. 

• I would have done the same thing! Have you been to an allergist yet? I agree that keeping peanuts out of the house is a good idea while you wait for an official peanut allergy diagnosis.

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Our allergist says that if two systems are reacting then administer the epi/go to the ER. So if lo has hives AND is wheezing or if lo has hives AND is throwing up ect. If it is only hives we are to give benadryl. The exception to this rule is if the benadryl does not bring down the hives or if they get worse.
  • NiniJ55NiniJ55 member
    imageChristine&Mario:

I would have done the same thing! Have you been to an allergist yet? I agree that keeping peanuts out of the house is a good idea while you wait for an official peanut allergy diagnosis.

Yes we have.  She tested positive for Dairy and negative for soy.  He only tested for 2 food items... the rest were environmental factors (cat, dog, ect. (we hav both)).

Sigh -- This is all so frustrating and overwhelming.  Thank you to everyone -- this board is so helpful.

• NiniJ55NiniJ55 member

imageJsMama11:
    Our allergist says that if two systems are reacting then administer the epi/go to the ER. So if lo has hives AND is wheezing or if lo has hives AND is throwing up ect. If it is only hives we are to give benadryl. The exception to this rule is if the benadryl does not bring down the hives or if they get worse.

Good to know about the 2 systems.  Thanks for that.  Pedi returned my call this afternoon and said I did the right thing.  Just watch her to make sure they don't get worse.  She did say they may linger for a little while but if they bother her to bring her in.  Right now we are using caladryl for the itchyness.. which is not new since her eczema is not completly under control just yet (getting there, though).

• shotzieshotzie member
    DD1 gets hives if dairy or eggs touch her skin. If DH has a glass of milk and forgets to wash his hands and touches her, she'll get a hive or two. We wipe her skin with a Wet Ones wipe or water and the hive is usually gone in 30 min. If it keeps getting bigger, we give Benadryl. I'd definitely remove peanut products from the house. You did the right thing.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"