Pre-School and Daycare

Do you take your pre-school age lo to siblings vax appts?

#2 will receive her first shots this week on a day that 3yesr old DD does not have school. #1 never had an issue with getting shots until her 3 year well check and for a few weeks after would ask us if she had to get more. I'm wondering if seeing her sister get a shot would freak her out and am debating making alternate plans for her. What do you do?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Do you take your pre-school age lo to siblings vax appts?

• jlw2505jlw2505 member
    I typically did not bring my girls to their sisters appointments.  I didn't do it because of the shots but more because I want to be able to concentrate on the child that has the appointment and the pedi.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    Yes, I do. I do not have an alternative. My oldest is pretrified of shots, but he is quite okay with his brothers getting shots and is very empathetic to them. As long as it is not him ; )
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • DS (almost 4) has gone to all of DDs appointments and vise versa. Mainly because I have no other choice. I think he missed one because it fell on a school day but I have even had them get theirs at the same appointment before. They are 2.5 years apart to the day and they sometimes fall on shots on the same month. Yes DS doesn't want them but its not a big deal. He gets all clingy and cries but as soon as its over he seems to be ok with it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I always brought my older DD to all of my younger DD's appts, and it was never a problem until last week.  My DD1 has really bonded with DD2 lately, and when I took DD2 in to be checked for an ear infection last week, DD1 got sooooo upset when DD2 cried when the pedi checked her ears.  She started yelling at the doctor and causing quite a scene. 

DD2 had her 15 month appt today, and I didn't bring DD1 because I wanted things to be calmer. 

• I usually have to.  I prepped DS beforehand, telling him that DD would be getting her shots and she might cry and that he could help comfort her.  So he did just that...he patted her hand and kept saying, "it's okay....it's okay."  But at the beginning he had to double check and ask, "no shots for me today?" hahaha.  It was really sweet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes, sometimes.  DS1 originally didn't want DS2 to go to the doctor because he didn't want him to get shots.  So sweet!  I don't think he's a big fan of seeing him get upset, but one of the times, DS2 didn't cry a peep!
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

• CD+ALCD+AL member
    I do, but I don't really have another option.  If I had someone to watch the other child, I'd only take the child that needed to see the pedi just because it would be far easier.  It's not really that big of a deal though.  I just make sure to have plenty of things with me to occupy both of them.

• I have done it with the twins  - and it has made me change my tactics.  It's a PITA to schedule them on two different days for well visits but the shrieking and crying that goes on when their brother gets a shot is just too much for all of us.

I would avoid it if you can.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Yes, because there are so many of them.  However, I DID find a babysitter for DD for DS's 4 year old appointment.  He tends to have doctor anxiety and we had a disaster of an appointment at 3.  I wanted to be able to focus entirely on him.
  • I ended up having to take her with us. She did fine and decided she should get a sucker and a sticker "since babies can't have them". The baby was pretty worked up later in the day and older DD kept saying "I don't like that Dahlia has to get shots". She was very curious, a little sensitive, but not traumatized.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"