Food Allergy

Formula for multiple food allergies

I still breast feed (EP) but I'm trying to educate myself about hypoallergenic

formulas.

DD has eczema and had hives.We tested her for food allergies and got the following results:

Eggs-4

Almonds-3

Soy-2

Milk-1

Wheat, peanuts-0

(Yes, I understand, that there could be false positives and negatives...) 

The allergist did encourage me to keep breastfeeding (with me cutting out the offending foods) until she's at least 6 month, then if I want to switch to formula, use Nutramigen.

Doesn't Nutramigen have soy in it?

I've heard about Elecare and Neocate.Is there anything else on the market that's milk&soy free?

Also,what do you do about the taste?All these hypoallergenic formulas taste bad (from what I've read). 

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Formula for multiple food allergies

• The only one of those I have any experience with is Elecare, and it is pretty foul. I bought it as a back-up to BFing on an elimination diet, and DD would at this point rather starve than drink the Elecare. I'm sure that if it was the only option available she would eventually drink it, but yeah, it's gross and smells like cement. Somebody recommended adding a drop of vanilla until she gets used to the taste, but you'd have to ask your allergist about that and at this point I'm surviving on breastmilk, so I didn't have to go that route.
    Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • imageChristine&Mario:
    The only one of those I have any experience with is Elecare, and it is pretty foul. I bought it as a back-up to BFing on an elimination diet, and DD would at this point rather starve than drink the Elecare. I'm sure that if it was the only option available she would eventually drink it, but yeah, it's gross and smells like cement. Somebody recommended adding a drop of vanilla until she gets used to the taste, but you'd have to ask your allergist about that and at this point I'm surviving on breastmilk, so I didn't have to go that route.

Thanks so much for your response.If you don't mind, can you please share your story-how you discovered the allergies in your LO and how you're elimination diet is going.

I initially thought I'd bf until 6 months, but now I'm worried about the formulas out there, so I want to keep going as long as I can.At the same time, it makes me sad, that my breast milk is causing DD to be uncomfortable. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagegymkatinka:

imageChristine&Mario:
    The only one of those I have any experience with is Elecare, and it is pretty foul. I bought it as a back-up to BFing on an elimination diet, and DD would at this point rather starve than drink the Elecare. I'm sure that if it was the only option available she would eventually drink it, but yeah, it's gross and smells like cement. Somebody recommended adding a drop of vanilla until she gets used to the taste, but you'd have to ask your allergist about that and at this point I'm surviving on breastmilk, so I didn't have to go that route.

Thanks so much for your response.If you don't mind, can you please share your story-how you discovered the allergies in your LO and how you're elimination diet is going.

I initially thought I'd bf until 6 months, but now I'm worried about the formulas out there, so I want to keep going as long as I can.At the same time, it makes me sad, that my breast milk is causing DD to be uncomfortable. 

Sure - the full story is somewhere not too far down (late April-ish) in this forum, but the abbreviated version is that my DH gave DD some formula that we had been keeping in the house as a back-up while I was at a weight watchers meeting down the road, and she had a full-blown anaphylactic reaction to the dairy in the formula. We made it to the ER and she was treated and released about 4 hours later. We were referred to an allergist who diagnosed egg and dairy allergies. We were concerned about soy because it showed up a little bit in the skin test, but the RAST came up clear for soy and we just did a soy formula challenge this morning and she was ok with it. 

Since then, I've been eating 100% dairy and egg free (basically a vegan diet, with meat added). It is totally doable once you have your RAST results and know what you're dealing with to knock those foods out of your diet. DD's skin has cleared (she always had eczema) and it's good practice for me to learn how to eat, cook, and live according to her allergies, because we're going to be doing that soon enough for her sake anyway. There are lots of good resources here, and looking at allergy blogs online has given me lots of recipe ideas. It's just a new way of life. I worry a lot, I'm scared about random strangers touching her, I think a LOT about the day we went to the ER, and I make sure that she doesn't eat anything that has been prepared by anyone but me. It's an adjustment, but the anxiety doesn't have to be crippling.

GL with everything; this is a great board for support.

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • My DD was also getting hives while nursing!!  She is 4 months now and we're still nursing on a very restricted elimination diet.  She was allergy tested at 6 weeks, but everything came back negative.  I *know* something is causing her reactions though.  Since cutting out dairy, soy, egg, nut, wheat, and oats her hives have diappeared.  She still has abnormal stools, but they're ok.  When did your DD start getting hives?  Did she have other symptoms? 

Sorry...no answer to your question.  Our children just sound similiar.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I'm so sorry about the ER, I can not imagine what you and your DH went through!

What was the RAST class for egg and dairy?Did your doctor say your LO might outgrow it?Mine said, that egg allergies are usually outgrown.

Diet-wise, it's very hard.We only tested almonds, but it's safe to stay away from all tree nuts.I also eat gluten free, so you can imagine.Lots of gluten free flours have been processed in a tree nut facility.And nuts have been such a big part of my life.

How long did it take for you to see results in the eczema?I've only been on this diet for less than a week,but I feel, that DD's eczema is getting worse.

Thanks again!! 

• imageJaredandKatie:

My DD was also getting hives while nursing!!  She is 4 months now and we're still nursing on a very restricted elimination diet.  She was allergy tested at 6 weeks, but everything came back negative.  I *know* something is causing her reactions though.  Since cutting out dairy, soy, egg, nut, wheat, and oats her hives have diappeared.  She still has abnormal stools, but they're ok.  When did your DD start getting hives?  Did she have other symptoms? 

It started with eczema (DD also has reflux).I tried eliminating dairy for 3 weeks, but the eczema did not improve.After 2 months, I just could not watch her suffering anymore and contacted a pediatric allergist.The very same day I made the appointment, DD broke out in hives.I'd say 2 hrs after eating.I EP, stash milk in the fridge, so it's hard to tell what "batch" she ate that caused the hives.

I was the same as you,I just knew, that something was wrong,even though the dermatologist (s) kept saying that DD's eczema is not food related.

The foods she tested positive for, I ate every single day.

But I did not realize oats are allergenic,too.I used to eat gluten free oats often.

How long did it take for you to see improvements? 

• imagegymkatinka:

I'm so sorry about the ER, I can not imagine what you and your DH went through!

What was the RAST class for egg and dairy?Did your doctor say your LO might outgrow it?Mine said, that egg allergies are usually outgrown.

Diet-wise, it's very hard.We only tested almonds, but it's safe to stay away from all tree nuts.I also eat gluten free, so you can imagine.Lots of gluten free flours have been processed in a tree nut facility.And nuts have been such a big part of my life.

How long did it take for you to see results in the eczema?I've only been on this diet for less than a week,but I feel, that DD's eczema is getting worse.

Thanks again!! 

The eczema cleared up within a week, for sure. And yeah, the gluten free diet must be really hard :(

Her RAST numbers were 2 for dairy and egg yolks and 3 for egg whites. Not very high in the grand scheme, but the reaction was scary enough for me!!

GL!

• pawcallpawcall member
    Neocate and elecare are gross, but at her age, she'll get used to it.  I mixed them with breastmilk, slowing increasing the amount of formula and decreasing the amount of breastmilk.  Now my son refuses neocate because he hates eating, not because it tastes gross Wink
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• pawcallpawcall member
    imagegymkatinka:

It started with eczema (DD also has reflux).I tried eliminating dairy for 3 weeks, but the eczema did not improve.After 2 months, I just could not watch her suffering anymore and contacted a pediatric allergist.The very same day I made the appointment, DD broke out in hives.I'd say 2 hrs after eating.I EP, stash milk in the fridge, so it's hard to tell what "batch" she ate that caused the hives.

I was the same as you,I just knew, that something was wrong,even though the dermatologist (s) kept saying that DD's eczema is not food related.

But I did not realize oats are allergenic,too.I used to eat gluten free oats often.

Don't rule out anything, however unlikely it seems.  All of it can be allergenic!

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• imagegymkatinka:
    imageJaredandKatie:

My DD was also getting hives while nursing!!  She is 4 months now and we're still nursing on a very restricted elimination diet.  She was allergy tested at 6 weeks, but everything came back negative.  I *know* something is causing her reactions though.  Since cutting out dairy, soy, egg, nut, wheat, and oats her hives have diappeared.  She still has abnormal stools, but they're ok.  When did your DD start getting hives?  Did she have other symptoms? 

I started seeing improvements almost immediately after removing each of those food items. I removed dairy first and her diapers immediately stopped stinking like sulfur. It was a lot of trial and error, but I feel like we're in a fairly good place right now. Oats aren't high on the allergenic list, but she is sensitive to it (she gets really green diahrrea and a couple hives with it). This list was helpful for me at the beginning of eliminating things from my diet: https://intolerantoffspring.com/tips-and-tidbits/joneja-allergen-chart.html .

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"