Baby Showers

wedding/baby shower

So my sister is getting married this fall and is also pregnant. Originally I was going tohost a bridal shower for her.  Now I want to do something for both. I don't think she is registering for anything and I'm having a hard time on how I can perhaps make suggestions for people (if they want to bring anything) maybe a spa theme?

Any suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: wedding/baby shower

• From a practical standpoint, a baby shower would be a lot more useful than a wedding shower.  It's a little early for her to have developed a registry - that can come later, no worries.
    The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • I'm getting married in a month and am pregnant and I've expressly asked people to keep the two things separate.  Though I am also not having a bridal shower so that wasn't an issue.  I just want to be able to celebrate the babies after the craziness of wedding time is out of the way.  I know seeing we have family coming from over seas they might expect to do both.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If there are any conservative/traditional friends or family members, they might be pretty put-off at the idea of combining the two.  Has your sister expressed an opinion on the matter?
  • As a professional event planner here is my advice to you, ultimately I would talk with her and see what she wants. You don't want her to feel as though two of the most important things in her life aren't going to get the attention they deserve. If she is getting married and due within 3 months of each other I would say go ahead and do a joint shower. Any theme would work, just word the invitation to state something along the lines of celebrating the marriage of "so and so" and their new addition.Typically women don't have their bridal shower until 5-2 months before the big day, and baby showers until they are about 6-8 months along. So if she isn't due within a few months of the wedding I would opt to do 2 separate showers and possibly do a smaller family only baby shower/gathering for your overseas family when they come for the shower or wedding.
    Also if she and her HTB already live together they may not need or want what you typically get at a bridal shower. Perhaps they could use honeymoon funds or other funds instead. Many banks now have accounts for this purpose and allow you to set up account for people to deposit money directly to the account. You can also state on the invitation to do this in lieu of gifts. If she hasn't registered for either the wedding or baby I would urge her to do so as she is most likely going to receive gifts at the wedding and in the mail from those unable to attend. Again, it is important to talk with her and see what she needs and wants so if people ask you are able to tell them. 
  • imageemchose:
    Also if she and her HTB already live together they may not need or want what you typically get at a bridal shower. Perhaps they could use honeymoon funds or other funds instead. Many banks now have accounts for this purpose and allow you to set up account for people to deposit money directly to the account. You can also state on the invitation to do this in lieu of gifts.
    You got some good advice in the first paragraph.  But sweet baby Jesus, don't ever, ever panhandle guests for someone's living or wedding expenses.  It is beyond rude.
  • I would either invite family to the bridal and friends to the baby shower or the opposite.  I would be annoyed if I were asked to come to both showers within a month or two. 

Something to keep in mind, not only do people bring gifts to showers, it is usually expected that those same people will also bring something to the wedding itself as well as when the baby arrives.  So, you are talking four different times they are expected to give a gift within a short period of time.  Just my opinion. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • BallSoxBallSox member
    Honestly, I'd skip the bridal shower and do just a baby shower.  As a pp said, as a guest, unless we were super close (family or BF) I'd either roll my eyes or honestly, spend less on each gift, having 3 gift-giving occasions so close together. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageBallSox:
    Honestly, I'd skip the bridal shower and do just a baby shower.  As a pp said, as a guest, unless we were super close (family or BF) I'd either roll my eyes or honestly, spend less on each gift, having 3 gift-giving occasions so close together. 

This

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"