Maryland Babies
Options

Another Poll - Bedtime

How old are your children?

What is your bedtime routine with your children?

Do they go to sleep easily at night?

Do they sleep through the night?

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method?

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This

Re: Another Poll - Bedtime

• Options

9 months

DH does lotion, jammies, and reads 4 short books and I come up and nurse her to sleep. Bedtime usually starts ~730/745 and she's usually out by 815ish

We have an off night now and then but for the most part yes 

She usually wakes up around 5 and I bring her into bed with us and nurse her and we go back to sleep for a few hours 

Nope. I read a lot of books and I just used the parts that were helpful to me and I thought would work for DD 

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options

How old are your children? The little ones are 3 and 10 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children? I give them a bath every other night together and the older one gets a shower with me on the other nights

eta- little goes to sleep at 7:30, big goes down at 8:30

Do they go to sleep easily at night? the youngest does, the older is still in our bed (we NEED to get her in her own bed)

Do they sleep through the night? the younger one still gets up a couple times to nurse

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? no

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

How old are your children? 1 week shy of 1 year (!)

What is your bedtime routine with your children? On bath nights we start at 7:30pm with the bath. Non-bath nights start at 7:45pm. After the bath (or not), DH and I get him in his pjs, apply various lotions/goos, etc. Then I give him a bottle in our room and brush his teeth. Then DH takes him and reads a book in his room, then puts him to bed.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? 98% of the time, yes. Very rarely, he will cry for a few minutes, then sleep.

Do they sleep through the night? Yes.

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? We gave Ferber a half-assed try around 4.5 months, then a real try around 6 months. It was the best decision ever for us - he has been a rockstar at night sleeping since then.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

--2.5 years

--Half hour from bedtime, we watch a half hour show to calm down and she eats a snack (always something healthy, usually like half a banana). Afterwards, it's up to bed to brush our teeth & use the potty if needed and then into bed where she gets to pick 3 stories to read and I sing 3 or 4 songs.

--Sometimes. It was becoming not, because she would ask for something to eat AFTER going to bed, it would end up being a huge long process where I'd put her to bed and 15 minutes later, she'd want a banana. Then she'd want a drink, then she'd want the potty and so on and forth. We soon changed that, she still gets a water sippy cup in bed, but once she's in bed, she knows no food.

--She usually does pretty good, but she suffers from myoclonic seizures, which sometimes means waking up 5 to 6 times a night. Hopefully we'll be able to find out what to do about those when we see the neurologist tomorrow.

--Not really. We just waited until she was tired to put her to bed,  you can usually tell by if they are rubbing their eyes and everything. We then figured out that for her, it was normal to wake up and be up for about 5 hours before taking a nap and so we'd time it from there. If she got up from her nap at 3, then she went to bed at 8:30, if she got up at 2:00, then she went to bed at 7:30. If she didn't take a nap at all, then she's in bed by 7pm.

That worked out reall well. We mainly adjusted her nap time to her bed time (i.e. she cannot sleep past 3pm because otherwise she will be up to 9:30 or 10 at night, which isn't good for the morning)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

How old are your children?  3.5

What is your bedtime routine with your children?  jammies, 2 books and 3 songs.  There's normally potty and teeth in there before, but sometimes it doesn't happen.  Baths are like 3x a week.

Do they go to sleep easily at night?  Yes

Do they sleep through the night? Yes

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? After talking to the pediatrician, we decided to do straight CIO when DD was 4.5 months old - it sucked for about 2-3 nights, but she's STTN ever since.  I think its one of the best things we did. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

How old are your children? 2 months and 2.5

What is your bedtime routine with your children? For A, bath every other night, lotion, brush hair, read a few books, a snack w/ milk and she's usually in bed by 8 or 8:30.

With C we are still working on figuring out her bedtime, anywhere between 7:30-9:30, after her bedtime bottle, I put her in her crib, sometimes she's asleep and other times awake.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? With A not always, she will fight us, but that means she's exhausted.

Do they sleep through the night? A is still up and down (it just depends on the day). Normally she's crying for something to drink. And if she hears us up with the baby at night she wants to be up.

As of last night we were only up once to feed. 

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method?With A we did CIO out at 6 or 7 months old and that worked. I'm hoping that C will be a better sleeper than her sister. (Time will tell!).

• Options

How old are your children? 7 months and 2 yrs 10 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children? I take B up at 7, give him a bath every other night, nurse him in his room and lay him down, he's usually out by 7:30. S goes upstairs at 8, (15 minutes earlier if its bath night), we lay down and read a couple books together then lights off by 8:30 ish.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? B does, although he's usually up again around midnight. Since the baby was born, S won't go to sleep in his room unless one of us is in there. which is why my husband has been relegated to an air mattress on S's floor.

Do they sleep through the night? S does pretty much, sometimes he wakes up to pee. B is still waking up a couple times per night to eat. Then by 4 or 5 he's completely done being in his crib and I bring him in bed with me.

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? we did CIO a few nights after S was a year and I hated it. I know it works for some kids but he got worked up in a frenzy and I felt sick to my stomach. I never did it again. I think I have a lot more AP tendencies then I care to admit. Even if I was willing to try it again with B, I wont because their rooms are right next to each other and you can hear everything in my house, so they just wake eachother up when they cry.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

How old are your children?   22 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children?  Bath at 7pm, jammies and books with milk.   Brush teeth. Bedtime about 7:30 - 7:45pm

Do they go to sleep easily at night?  Yes

Do they sleep through the night?  Yes

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method?  No, we never did any sleep training.   I wouldn't have been opposed to it, but we just didn't need to do it.   We are thankful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

How old are your children? 9 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children? bath every other night. on bath nights the routine starts about 6:20, closer to 6:45 on the other nights. Bath, lotion/jammies, books, bottle, then paci and in crib around 7pm. Most of the time she's asleep by 7 or 7:15.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? About 90% of the time, yes.

Do they sleep through the night? About 80% of the time, yes.

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? Like Heidi, I just took bits and pieces from books I read and advice from other moms. No real method. The books that helped the most were the No-Cry Sleep Solution and Sleep Lady Shuffle. I have let her CIO a few times (which I know goes against the first book I listed, lol, but it was still helpful) but never for more than 3 or 4 minutes - I couldn't handle it, and the times that I have let her cry it's normally for like 30 seconds and if I go it in will be worse than if I don't. Sorry that was a long answer. :)

• Options
    ras26ras26 member
    How old are your children? 7 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children? Between 7 and 7:30 upstairs, bath every other night (a 2 person job), then DH and I jointly do PJs, lotion, diaper, etc. as fast as possible, then one of us reads 2 stories while the other gives a pumped bottle.  After bottle, the lights go down, DH exits and I nurse her until she goes to sleep or decides she's done.  Into the crib she goes with mobile if she is still awake and paci.  (I know it sounds weird to do both pumped and nursing, but the bottle ensures that she drinks a minimum amount because she slurps it right down, whereas if she's tired, she doesn't always have the patience to nurse well.  After the bottle, she's more patient with nursing until she's topped off and ready to sleep.)

Can I add a confession that we probably artificially keep her awake about 30 minutes longer than she *should* be up?  It's selfish, but we just get so little time after picking her up from daycare that we like to have time to play, give her "dinner" solids, and most often come on the dog walk before putting her to bed.  She loves it at the time, but then is always on the verge of meltdown during the bedtime routine.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? 95% of the time there is little to no fuss. In the other instances if she gets too worked up, I go back up if it's been more than 5-10 minutes and rock/nurse her until she calms down. 

Do they sleep through the night?  Yep, since we started solids at 6 months, she's been awesome!  Before solids, I occasionally had to go up in the 3-4:00 range to replace the paci. 

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? We did Ferber-ish (modified CIO) around 5 months at bedtime and it really did work well.  If it's before 5am and she fusses, she goes back to sleep on her own without intervention, if it's after 5am, I go up and feed her.

IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    tmm140tmm140 member

How old are your children? 14 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children?  every other night we do a bath and then I will get DS ready for bed, we might play a little in his room and attempt to read a book.  He is usually down by 7:30-8. 

Do they go to sleep easily at night?  Sometimes he does, other times he rolls around and plays with the things in his crib, but will put himself to sleep.

Do they sleep through the night? yes, there are random times where he will start crying, but he will go back to sleep.  Last night he woke up at 2 really screaming, not a normal cry so I went in and found his pacifier and rocked him for a little while.  I really do miss holding him and rocking him to sleep. 

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? I tried the CIO method when he was 9 months.  He would only cry for like 2 minutes and then go to sleep.  So needless to say we really didn't need to do that.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Mella&TMella&T member

How old are your children? 13 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children? We give her a bath around 7:00. Then we get into jammers, have a bottle, play some, read stories and she's usually in bed by 7:45.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? Yep. We have an occasional night where she struggles but those are far and few between. Those nights are actually special since I get to rock her to sleep and her content sighs on my chest are magical.

Do they sleep through the night? Yep...it took a looong time but she finally sleeps solid from 7:45 - 6:45/7.

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? There were two periods of time we went through sleep regressions and we had to use CIO to get her down at night. Both times only took a few nights and the crying lasted 20 mins max. We also used CIO to get her to sleep through the night. I just stopped going in at 4:00/5:00am when she was crying and she eventually got used to not being fed and stayed asleep until morning. That was rough for me because I felt like I was abandoning her and she was probably like, where the eff is mommy, but we got through it and she was always happy to see me when I got her later in the morning.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

How old are your children? 2 and a half

What is your bedtime routine with your children?  during winter bath every other night, every night during summer, read/sing for about 20 minutes, then in the crib.  Same routine since he was about 4 months old, exept it was bottle with reading/singing until about a year.

Do they go to sleep easily at night?  yes, generally he has always been a great sleeper, started sleeping 6 hour stretches at 4 weeks and then 12 hours STTN at 2 months.

Do they sleep through the night? yes

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? never had to, with a paci he put himself to bed.  On the rare occassion we would have to go in when he was little and put the paci back in and rub his back or tummy for a few minutes.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Can I add that DS was/is such good sleeper we are terrified that we only lucked out once and this baby will kick our a$$ in the sleep department. Tongue Tied
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

How old are your children? DD is 5 and DS is 2.5

What is your bedtime routine with your children? We do a bath most nights, book and then bed.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? Pretty much, DD likes to avoid sleeping by wanting more hugs or water, but she does not get up in the middle of the night unless she is sick. DS goes down pretty darn good 95% of the time and he rarely wakes up.

Do they sleep through the night? Yep

We start the day we come home from the hospital and start the bedtime routine. We do bath, book, bottle and bed. Once the baby is in a pattern of feedings, we are pretty militant with bed time for the baby. We make sure that is stays the same for a while. Really it is a random time at start, just to get used to the calming down. By 5-6 months we do CIO with both kids, it took maybe two nights. Once good sleep patterns are established, we losen up on the bedtime.

• Options

How old are your children? My daughter is 2 1/2 and my son is 5 days.

What is your bedtime routine with your children?  With Ada we brush teeth, put on pajamas, and read three stories.  If I put her to bed she goes right into her crib, and I sing my way out of the room. If my husband puts her to bed he will often rock and sing her to sleep. He took two classes this semester, so bedtime was the only time he saw her some nights.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? Most of the time now. It used to be a huge struggle

Do they sleep through the night? Ada does. The new person is sleeping good stretches (3 1/2 to 4 hrs) at night, which I am amazed by.

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? We did a very modiified version of Ferber when she was about 17 months old. That was when nursing her to sleep stopped working.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jnealetjnealet member

How old are your children? D1 is 3 and D2 is almost 6 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children? D1 - 2-3 books, potty, songs and rocking.

D2 - 1 book, nursing and bed

Do they go to sleep easily at night? Yes, they generally do.  We had a little blip when D1 was potty trained but things have calmed down now.  D2 does fuss every so often, maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Do they sleep through the night?  D1 yes, after the potty training blip.  D2, we're getting there, she sleeps from 8-5:30am most nights but she was up at 3:30am last night.  We'll get there.

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method?  D1 we did CIO twice.  The first time was tough, she picked up pretty fast the second.  We haven't done anything with D2 yet but I'm not opposed to it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

How old are your children?  3years,9months and 2

What is your bedtime routine with your children? Potty, pajamas, books, talk about our day and tomorrow, night light on, friends in bed, and then sleepy time.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? B does but C does not. She is getting better now that they started sharing a room.

Do they sleep through the night? Yes. We have to wake them up most of the time. Like myself and DH, hard to go to sleep but will sleep forever :)

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method? We did a modified Ferber for both kids at the suggestion of our pediatrician. It was about 7 months with both of them.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSarahKate31:

2 years old 

Like most everyone else, we do bath every other night typically. Then jammies/lotion/comb hair. If she wants to watch a show, that's usually from 7-7:30. Sometimes she wants to play or read though. We go up to brush teeth around 7:30 and then sometimes I will read her books in her bed and lately I have just been telling her make believe stories in bed and she loves that too.  Typically by 7:45 i am out of there and she's on her own to fall asleep. 

Yes. There's usually some fake tears when DH and I leave the room, but they don't last long. 

Yes. 

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method?

Just CIO - we've used that twice. I can't even remember the ages but I doubt the first time was before 6ish months. 

Cooper - I worry about the next one being a poor sleeper too because DD is like her dad and loves to sleep and be in her bed.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSarahKate31:

How old are your children?  16 months

What is your bedtime routine with your children?  Wash face, head, hands, arms OR  take a bath, change diaper/jammies, close curtains, turn on sleep giraffe, nurse and go to sleep. Sometimes DD isn't ready to sleep after she nurses, or she doesn't seem *quite* ready after pj's so we read a book or two or I let her play quietly and I "ignore" her. ( I don't actively play with her because that makes her want to stay up.)

DD goes to bed around 7 or 7:30.

Do they go to sleep easily at night? Depends on the night. If we get her at the right time and she isn't teething, then yes.

Do they sleep through the night? No

Did you ever do any sleep training? If so, at what age and what method?  We've followed some of the no-cry sleep solution. I tried letting her cry for a few minutes, but it made her more hysterical and harder to put down to sleep.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagematildasun:

What is your bedtime routine with your children?  With Ada we brush teeth, put on pajamas, and read three stories.  If I put her to bed she goes right into her crib, and I sing my way out of the room. If my husband puts her to bed he will often rock and sing her to sleep. He took two classes this semester, so bedtime was the only time he saw her some nights.

I've always done bedtime since DD was a newborn.  So, when DH does it because I'm gone oor sick or whatever, its always fine, but she totally suckers him into singing at least 5 or 6 songs and 5 books.  We've done the same 2 books, 3 songs (same songs), in the same order since DD was like 9 months old, but she totally messes with him!

He rocked DD for a long time after I stopped too.  If it works for them, great, but I always think its funny when I come home and hear about DH's 45 minute bedtime routine, when it takes about 10-15 minutes tops when I do it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:
    imagematildasun:

I've always done bedtime since DD was a newborn.  So, when DH does it because I'm gone oor sick or whatever, its always fine, but she totally suckers him into singing at least 5 or 6 songs and 5 books.  We've done the same 2 books, 3 songs (same songs), in the same order since DD was like 9 months old, but she totally messes with him!

He rocked DD for a long time after I stopped too.  If it works for them, great, but I always think its funny when I come home and hear about DH's 45 minute bedtime routine, when it takes about 10-15 minutes tops when I do it.

We have the opposite situation. DH puts DS to bed 6 out of 7 nights a week, so when I do it on Thursdays, DS is usually more resistant, more likely to fuss, and/or need more rocking to get calmed down.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"