Pregnant after 35
Options

lunch meat

Has anyone eaten any lunch meat during their pregnancy?? My doctor said it was ok from time to time as long as it was fresh from the deli counter. I still heated it up first and then let it cool before I made a sandwich. It was my first sandwich in 4 months and it was delicious but now I feel a little guilty even though my doctor said it was ok.

Re: lunch meat

• Options
    imagehijoi:

Yep, all the time (well, not all the time, but twice a month maybe).  I would get subs from Subway and then get them toasted (because that's how I like them) and everything was and is fine.

Nathaniel's tail and third eye eventually fell off from all the subs and caffeine I consumed Wink

Hahaha.... that Hijoi!! That makes me feel better! It was sooooo yummy!! Big Smile

• Options

I had a couple of sandwiches earlier in my pregnancy, always with very fresh (just sliced) meats ... but then I realized I had no way of knowing how long the meat was there before being sliced, I started to feel awful, and decided not to do it again. Now my DH knows, that as soon as baby arrives, his job (after bonding and yada yada) is to get me a ham and turkey pastrami sub!

The funny thing is that I don't even really like sandwiches that much ... I think it's the idea that I'm not supposed to have it that's making me want them!

I'm sure you're fine - if doctor said it's ok AND you heated the meat ....you should be good!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I eat a deli meat sandwich every day. I am more worried over avoiding nitrates in said meat than listeria. Not to say that I will eat sketchy meat, I am just judicious about where it comes from and how old it is before I use it in a sandwich.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    imagebenniferbaby:

I had a couple of sandwiches earlier in my pregnancy, always with very fresh (just sliced) meats ... but then I realized I had no way of knowing how long the meat was there before being sliced, I started to feel awful, and decided not to do it again. Now my DH knows, that as soon as baby arrives, his job (after bonding and yada yada) is to get me a ham and turkey pastrami sub!

The funny thing is that I don't even really like sandwiches that much ... I think it's the idea that I'm not supposed to have it that's making me want them!

I'm sure you're fine - if doctor said it's ok AND you heated the meat ....you should be good!!

I think that is it exactly.... I can't have them so I want them more than anything!! lol Although.... that turkey sandwich I ate last night gave me the worst heartburn!! Not sure I can eat it again if I wanted to!!lol 

• Options
    Every.single.day!  And I didn't heat up any of it. 
  • Options
    This is on my Dr.'s no no list but I have eaten it on occasion unheated.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been doing the microwave thing at home. Or if I go to subway I get it warmed up. It also depends on the kind of lunch-meat whether you have to worry about heating, something about the process of how it is made. If you like Italian lunch-meats Mortadella and Prosciutto are ok to eat without heating. But unfortunately salami needs to be heated which to me sounds kind of yucky because I think it would get greasy so i'm looking forward to a nice salami sandwich after LO arrives...lol.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    I think it's fine if you get them from a source you trust.  I think sometimes the food limitations are over-hyped...which obviously your doctor thinks, as well.  I think I'd go ahead and enjoy the occasional sandwich with no guilt!
  • Options

I kept hearing/reading that it's a big fat no no, but I clarified with my OB!

She told me that PRE-PACKAGED deli meat is a no no, but if I go to the counter and have them slice me up some delicious Boars Head, it will not contain the nitrates/nitrites that the prepackaged stuff has. She told me that that kind of deli meat is totally ok; I'm so relieved because I literally eat 5 or so sandwiches a week. I can't live w/o ham and bread. nom nom nom

but on something similar, I never heard anything about not eating hot dogs, but I KNOW they're filled with nitrates and nitrites. hmmmm. I found some delicious ones made by Applegate Farms and they are free of those additives

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"