Baby Showers

XP: Help! Odd shower date?/Family Only Shower?!

I have a cousin who is throwing a "family only" shower.  Which in my mind just seems ridiculous.  I don't have a whole lot of female friends and to not invite my closest friends (who wouldn't hold one) seems like I am leaving them out.  What do you ladies think?  Am I just over thinking this or does it seem weird?

My shower is in 3 weeks.  It is super early because I wanted my sister to take part in it before she moved to Europe for a year.  She leaves the beginning of July and between my schedule and hers June 16 was the date that was set for my shower!  I know it is super early but we know the gender of the baby (boy!) but he is going to be born in September and we live in Winterland (Sask, CAN) - how do we ask for less clothes or GC because the winter clothes aren't out right now?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: XP: Help! Odd shower date?/Family Only Shower?!

• 1) A shower is a gift to you from your hostess, and she can invite however many people she feels capable/comfortable with hosting. It's unfortunate that your close friends can't come, but it's not up to you and as friends they should understand that. Plus, they could host a shower for friends if they really wanted to be involved. I know you said they won't, but they could. 

2) No, there isn't a polite way to tell guests what gifts to give. However, give them some credit. They know where you live and when the baby is due, so thy probably will buy seasonally appropriate clothing, or they'll buy basics that can be worn as layers during any season.  

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lzmac11lzmac11 member

Thanks for the advice ladies.  This is the first baby on any side of the family and no one is sure how everything should go. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What they said, and to add that most people will realize that the clothes are out of season for your due date. You'll either get sizes that may fit summer next year, or more practicle things like sleepers and onsies. There are lots of fall/winter appropriate things still out, but it will be layered items as pp said.

And huge lol to winterland, it's not really Iqualuit, but you'll be fine. Just get a decent shower cap style car seat cover and you'll be set. You probably won't get that as a shower gift, they'll be out in stores again in September. Just relax, and wait for your party.

• srs5624srs5624 member

I have a cousin who is throwing a "family only" shower.  Which in my mind just seems ridiculous.  I don't have a whole lot of female friends and to not invite my closest friends (who wouldn't hold one) seems like I am leaving them out.

Not ridiculous. If the hostess can only accomodate family, then that's it. You can't force her to invite more people than she is comfortable with. If your friends really want to be involved, they can at least take you out for lunch.

How do we ask for less clothes or GC because the winter clothes aren't out right now?

You don't. If people really want to get you clothes, they'll either scour the clearance racks to find leftover winter clothes in small sizes, they'll get sleep and plays (which are usually long sleeve and long pants, even in the summer), or they'll get you up-sized clothes for next summer. Or they'll just skip the clothes and move on to other things.

You really can't dictate what gifts people buy. They have your registry information and they know when you're due... they'll figure something out.

Remember, you will get a few things that you can't use or don't want/need. Simply return them, donate them or shove them in a closet and forget about them. No big deal.

For amusement... DS was due in March and my shower was in February. My ILs gave me a NB Christmas outfit for DS. It was donated.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"