Single Parents
Options

Relocating and custody agreements

I'm just curious if anyone has moved out of town/out of state after divorce settlements/custody agreements have been made. Was it a difficult process? Were you able to successfully relocate with your LO? Did you have to go to court over the matter and if so, what did you have to "prove" in order to do so?

Re: Relocating and custody agreements

• Options
    I've moved several times. I moved to Dallas when DD was three, and then back to San Antonio, back to Dallas, back to San Antonio, to Tulsa, and finally back to San Antonio. We don't have geographical restrictions, though. And, in my case, the only jobs in my field in San Antonio are government contract work. One day you have a job, the next you don't. I have to go where the money is. I've shown that I continue to maintain my relationships in San Antonio. IE, I'll come down once a month from Dallas, once a quarter from Tulsa. 
  • Options
    eturpeturp member
    I'm trying to explore my options at the moment. I'm in school and will be finishing at the end of the year. Before X and I split we had always planned on moving to a smaller town to raise DS. After this past year, I really need a fresh start so although it is for my benefit, the town I'm looking to move to is a much better place for DS to grow up and I probably have a better chance of getting a stable job there as well. It's only 3 hours from where I'm living now so I'm not necessarily trying to distance DS from his father and although it would change the visitation schedule, I wouldn't intend for it to limit the amount of time he sees DS. My lawyer made it sound like it would be a difficult process so I was just wondering if anyone had experience with something similar. Thanks for the input! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can Probably get away with three hours. I'm asking for the state, and I'll probably get it...and it's a dang big state.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"