January 2012 Moms

WWYD? Call CPS?

My friends nephew (1 year old) had to go to the ER yesterday to be treated for blisters on his hands and feet. The boy's mom took him with her to go clean someones house. She wasn't paying attention and he went outside and stepped on a piece of hot metal, at least that is what the mom is saying. There is a history of poor parenting but the child was never physically harmed before. My friend wants to call CPS but I don't know if would actually help. Thoughts?

Re: WWYD? Call CPS?

• I don't think CPS would do anything about that.  There are more severe cases of neglect that go unpunished, way more severe.  Sounds like an accident.
    image. image. image.
  • All CPS calls are investigated. Even if this one doesn't result in CPS action it may alert them that failure to protect from foreseeable harms = neglect. 
  • Loading the player...
  • shotzieshotzie member
    If anyone at the ER suspected anything, they would've called CPS. Plus, I doubt an abusive parent would seek medical attention for their child.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • I don't think they are abusive as parents, probably not making the best choices all of the time but I can only imagine the things my DS will get into when he is mobile! I did tell her that if the hospital suspected anything they were required to report so she needs to just step away and realize that accidents happen. I do think her feelings about the boy's mother are causing her to make it more than what it was. Thanks for your thoughts ladies!
  • imageshotzie:
    If anyone at the ER suspected anything, they would've called CPS. Plus, I doubt an abusive parent would seek medical attention for their child.

Ditto.  The workers at the ER are mandatory reporters.   If they felt CPS should be called they would have and did. 

As the friend, I would stay out of it, in this situation.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Rsoc23Rsoc23 member
    it could be hand foot and mouth disease. it is a virus--maybe the hot metal was just a coincidence. i bet that this is not the first incident though if she is thinking of calling cps. it is probably one of many. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Of course people who neglect/abuse their children bring them in for medical attention! Not all I'm sure, but most are remorseful, or the other parent is.

Also, there are emergency room personnel who are on their game and those that aren't. In this case you apparently have more information about them as parents than the emergency room people would. The amount of abuse that daycare/school people never report is frightening. I expect that there is plenty that hospitals don't report either - which would make sense since some hospitals report a TON and other hospitals make very few reports. (I work in child abuse and see it all the time.)

I think it is an unclear situation on whether or not to call but don't make your decision based upon what you assume others will do. It will be one investigation whether one person calls or ten. Go with your gut. If your gut says to do it, but you are afraid, just think of how afraid the child must be and dial.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"