Success after IF
Options

anemia in babies

my LO was diagnosed with anemia and pediatrician prescribed over the counter iron drop (Poly-vi-sol or Fer-in-sol).  any experiences with either supplements?

thanks!...

After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.

Re: anemia in babies

• Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    The iron may make her a little constipated.  Otherwise, I've not seen any issues with Adalyn taking this. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

If your LO is a year old (I think, from your siggy), then you can also probably do half of a flinstones/children's multivitamin.  DD was not anemic, but I was worried about her iron intake after she stopped BFing/formula, so the pedi said to give her half of a flinstones vitamin (we have the generics).  The pedi said that the drops taste like liquid nails, so kids don't usually like them.  :)  Also, poly-vi-sol comes with or without iron, so make sure you get the right one.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yes, they don't taste good and it stains clothing so make sure he has a bib on.  i don't think you need more than a dropper full, so it's not much to take...but you'll have to squirt it into the sides of his mouth.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My twins take Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron because preemies are notoriously anemic.  Neither of them tolerate it well, but there isn't any other option (I've asked the neonatologist and the ped is there is something else that can be prescribed that is easier on the stomach).  Instead of constipation, the girls get black, watery stools.  Yuck.  I will say they have gotten more tolerant over time, though. 
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also wanted to add that I mix them with 30ml of formula...I don't give it to them straight.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"