Parenting after 35

S/O PT'ing

Robyn's post got me wondering about how PT'ing's going for other toddler mom's.

Like Aaron, DS isn't doing super well. Despite a great first day a month or so ago, where he happily sat on the potty but didn't go, he has steadfastly refused to go back.

I tried to plie him with offers of high-fives for sitting on the potty and a treat if he pees or poops, but nothin'. I even got him some super cool underwear and told him he'd get to wear them once he started using the potty, but still no go.

So, how's it going for everyone else?

Re: S/O PT'ing

• lawry13lawry13 member
    DD was slow to potty train.  We did some immediate rewards for going on the potty ( m&m's, squinkies), then moved to long term incentives ( keeping dry for so long equalled something bigger).  It seemed like overnight it clicked and she started staying dry all the time. I did use pull ups then took the leap of faith to panties.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a house of stubborn kids, but they were all (except L) in underwear by 3 1/2 with no accidents. E was the worst, because she'd outright say you can't make me. And I tried with them early, when they were showing signs. Now with S I can tell that they weren't ready in every way. S is so excited to actually use the potty and has pooped a couple of times on it. She's way beyond what they were, but I'm not holding my breath. L, well he was on dialysis that whole stage and never could pee. He got his transplant at 5 and peeing was scary for him. He did manage to use the potty then though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Boys and girls seem to be completely different animals in this department.

My friends of boys say, don't push unless he's interested.  Otherwise it'll just be a long, drawn out process.  One mom claims her son did it over a long weekend and has had only a couple of accidents (he's 4 now).

I just got 14 pair of underpants at the neighbor's garage sale (they're all decent.. not yucky!)  I think sometime this summer, I'm going to put some on him and turn him loose in the backyard.  When he gets wet and thus cold, he might be more inspired to not do that anymore.  That's what the mother of 3 boys told me to do.  

We have a potty seat on the toilet.. he just goofs around on that.  So I also got a garage sale potty chair and we'll try that, too.  Of course, it's been sitting on my front porch for 4 days now, waiting to be completely scrubbed out.  I'm Klassy like that.

• mwdmwd member

My children are 2 years apart, and we may be potty training both of them at the same time.  DS has flat out said it's not a good idea. I think we're going to have to put underwear on him and let him have accidents. Such a stubborn child, have no idea where he gets that from.  ;-)  DD seems very interested, so maybe I can get both done this summer.....

Bridebuddies or Stever, if you're interested, DS has outgrown most of the Thomas underpants (2T-3T) that I washed and were never worn.  PM if you're interested. Or any other moms with Thomas fans for kids. 

• mwd.. that's awesome.  I'll let Stever or any of the other gals claim them first, tho, since I'm already the proud owner of 14 pairs of Thomas underpants.  (Well, mostly Thomas).   The boys down the street were Thomas nuts, too.

You sure the girl won't wear them?  My friend's daughter only likes the "train" pants!  HA

But sure, if no one else wants 'em, I'll get you my addy!

• PeskyPesky member
    I'm convinced he will be going to college in diapers.  And now, with poop, he is routinely blowing out his pull-ups but doesn't want diapers anymore.  I totally regret listening to DC on this one because I think he needs to be in diapers until he's ready to really PT.  I'm going to try some nekkid time this weekend and see if that works.  Guessing I'm still a few months away from success as DD was almost 3 when she finally PTed but I'd already tried a couple times to PT her.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• steverstever member
    imagePesky:
    I'm convinced he will be going to college in diapers.  And now, with poop, he is routinely blowing out his pull-ups but doesn't want diapers anymore.  I totally regret listening to DC on this one because I think he needs to be in diapers until he's ready to really PT.  I'm going to try some nekkid time this weekend and see if that works.  Guessing I'm still a few months away from success as DD was almost 3 when she finally PTed but I'd already tried a couple times to PT her.
    The bowouts are an issue for us as well. DS still wears regular diapers as well as pull-ups, but he has a blowout at lest once a week. I've tried to explain to him that he's so big that his poops have outgrown his diapers so that must mean it's time for the potty, but he doesn't get it. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"