Baby Showers

Name raffle?

My mom asked me if we were going to reveal babys name at this shower along with gender, which we are. She then asked if it would be okay if everyone had a chance to guess the name and the winner (or closest) would win a basket she prepared. We worked out a few kinks, the guesses would be on an open list to avoid repeats and there will be a few clues. What does everyone else think of this idea?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Name raffle?

• I would think as long as people aren't paying to put in a guess that this is more like a game and would be okay.  As long as you are okay with getting everyone's opinions on  your name!!
    Brought home an extra special souvenir from vacation! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How do you judge who is closest to a name?  Is your name super common?  Or have you discussed possibilities with people?  That'd be a huge shot in the dark, in my opinion!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejeffsjayme:
    How do you judge who is closest to a name?  Is your name super common?  Or have you discussed possibilities with people?  That'd be a huge shot in the dark, in my opinion!

I think it's a huge shot in the dark too. His name is going to be Cooper we'll be revelaing that it has 6 letters, one letter is repeated, and that there has been a guest character on each of my favorite shows with this name (Glee and One Tree Hill). If no one guesses we'll pretty much just pick whoever WE think is the closest without any judging criteria? I'm lost on this part. I hate saying no to my mom knowning she probably had so much fun putting together the basket and I asked for no games if possible. We have discussed some names and people know our style pretty well, basically that it won't be a very common name like Tony or Michael but won't be outrageous.

• imagejeffsjayme:
    How do you judge who is closest to a name?  Is your name super common?  Or have you discussed possibilities with people?  That'd be a huge shot in the dark, in my opinion!

This.  Also, what if more than one person guesses the right name? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemorethancottoncandy:

imagejeffsjayme:

This.  Also, what if more than one person guesses the right name? 

The guesses will be on an open list to avoid repeats as I wrote on the OP.

• CranangCranang member

I don't understand the point.  Seems a little AW to me.  I mean, why does there have to be a "REVEAL"?  Just tell people the name.  Just seems like everyone is making a big deal as to what's in between the baby's legs.  And the name?  Nobody really cares.  Plus the game sounds kind of complicated and a little cheesy.  Just my $.02.

And as far as the basket, just put everyone's name in a hat a draw for it.  Doesn't have to be a huge production.

• imageJillwithani:

The guesses will be on an open list to avoid repeats as I wrote on the OP.

Yeah, but what happens if someone would have guessed that but "can't" because someone else beat them to it?  I'd hope no one would get too invested in this, but at the same time - I think you're making this way too complicated and leaving it open to people being upset/annoyed.

I'd just tell people to write down their guesses. I don't even know that I'd go to the level of hints you want to go to - I'd just say 6 letters.  Cooper isn't all that common that I can't imagine you'd get many people guessing it, and instead of a gift basket, have a few $5 or $10 gift cards to local stores that they can win.  This way you can have a copule extra cards on hand, and as long as you or your mom like the stores - if they aren't all given away, you can just use them yourselves.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• If you're going to do something like this, you could also have surprise prizes for the most creative name and things like that as well!
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • I think it's kind of cute. Depending on your crowd, no one will take it very seriously, I recently went to a baby shower where we did this and some of the suggestions, especially from the MTB's older relatives were HILARIOUS!

But it wasn't a "guess the baby's name" game it was "you should name your baby _________ if it's a girl and _____________ if it's a boy."

Truly hilarious. Some of her friends were really funny too by putting stuff like "Scotch or Bourbon"

It was silly. 

• Thanks for the input everyone! I talked to my mom about a few things that were brought up and decided to veto the guess the name game. The co-hostess wasn't really too keen on the idea either. We think that we will may want to keep the name private too and this puts less pressure on us. We did steal the idea of everyone who guesses the correct sex getting a prize. I do agree with it being a "AW" idea, and we are pretty simple and don't like the spot light on us. The reveal of the sex AT the shower was primarily so our parents and family didn't make even more of a fuss out of buying ridiculous big gifts that wearing geared towards a boy or girl. It's the first grandchild and great grandchild on each side. She gave me a little guilt about the prize basket that she created but said she had a housewarming party coming up that she could bring it to. 

• kjskjskjskjs member
    Personally I think this idea sounds fun...but I like a game or two at a shower.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • BallSoxBallSox member
    Too complicated. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"