Baby Showers
Options

I'm sure this is going to end up being flame-worthy...but I'm curious

For anyone who KNEW/KNOWS that someone is having a shower for them, how far in advance did they let you know what the date was going to be?  DH's family is having one July 15th, which is good to know -- I'm hoping thats the LATEST one I have, so I/we have time to get things that we DON'T get for the shower.  My sisters are having one for me, but at this point, all I know is that its going to 'late June/early July' -- I know its a good at least 4 or 5 weeks away, it would just be nice to know when its going to be.  Plus the fact there are a TON of DH family activities on the weekends from now until EDD.  I would think they would at least have a date (or 2) options, to make sure that I'm available, and so I don't end up with plans on that date.  I know that the 2 sisters are really busy right now(1 is due any day with her 4th child, and the other just finished getting approval/certification to be a foster parent, plus they both teach, so its end of the school year) - but when I originally asked a different question about the shower (about possible location since the 2 families live about 2 hours apart) - Neither of them responded to me, or even acknowledge that I had asked them a question.

Re: I'm sure this is going to end up being flame-worthy...but I'm curious

• Options
    CranangCranang member
    I'm confused.  Are they throwing you a surprise shower or something?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Sounds like it is a surprise.

Surely they will coordinate dates with your DH. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So the situation is that your sisters have offered to host a shower, but haven't discussed a date with you or other plans?  They might be planning a surprise shower.  Or, they might be caught up in their own stuff, and can't do it anymore.  If I were you I would bring it up one more time.  If they don't give you straight answers, don't push it, or you might ruin a surprise.  If they can't do it anymore, cut them some slack, it sounds like they have a lot going on themselves.
  • Options

They are your sisters, you know they are throwing a shower so it's not a surprise - I'd just flat out say "Hey, what's the date, or if a date hasn't been set yet, I'd like to get one on the calendar.  I have a lot of things going on and I'd hate to miss my own shower...."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Might be a surprise...since they mentioned that they are throwing you a shower maybe you could let them know if you have something important ready planned. Like "I know you mentioned a shower and I'm very excited. Here's a date that we might want to avoid due to this. I won't ask anymore questions but please let me know if I can be of any help" 

That way if they are keeping it quiet you don't ruin anything but they know in advance.

Unless you think they will check with your DH on dates to make sure your available? Maybe say nothing then? 

photo photo_zps4ea6bdf2.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    T&HLoveT&HLove member
    It might be a surprise. But they are your sisters; I see no reason why you don't just ask them if they have a date.. (I know you said they ignored you- so do it face to face, or on the phone?)
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    FemShepFemShep member

Let it go, especially since one of your sisters is about to give birth.  They know you're pregnant and they know your due date.  If they're planning a surprise, you don't want to make things awkward.   

• Options
    KarmBKarmB member
    my mother and I picked a date together due to her spinal surgery and my not knowing if i would be on bedrest situation. The rest was up to her.

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

They are your sisters, you know they are throwing a shower so it's not a surprise - I'd just flat out say "Hey, what's the date, or if a date hasn't been set yet, I'd like to get one on the calendar.  I have a lot of things going on and I'd hate to miss my own shower...."

This.

They must not be "surprise" shower since you know they are happening...just not when they are happening.  I am not at all for surprise showers and if that is what they are and they don't give you a date I would probably be conveniently busy on the day of when you "think" they are. 

• Options
    Thanks every one...I know its not a surprise - and they probably are just busy.  I know its not a surprise, because I know they are having one, who is having it, and we have never had a surprise shower for any of my expecting sisters/SIL.  I asked another one of my sisters (I have 5 of them) if she had heard anything about the location, since I hadn't heard from the 2 that I know are heading it up - and even she couldn't get a straight answer from them.  So I also asked this 3rd sister if she had heard of a date/date options, and she too had only heard late June/early July.  I think part of it is me getting antsy and wanting to get stuff for baby, and wanting to know what we need so I can get the nursery put together.  Right now, we have it painted, with a border up, and a hand-me-down crib -- but no sheets, no dresser, no glider...I think I'm trying to nest, without being able to nest!  I also have wall stickers, but I don't want to put them up until I know where all the furniture is going to go.  I know, I just need to relax -- it was nice to be able to kind of vent/get this off my chest without saying it to family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"