Special Needs
Options

What should I expect?

We have our very first meeting with the school district on Friday and I have no clue of what to expect. We will be meeting with both the early education special ed teacher, the regular special ed teacher, the speech pathologist, the principle and our case worker from Infant Toddler.

Last week IT made an addendum to our paper work stating he has been diagnoses with sensory processing disorder on top of the speech delay but I don't believe the OT will be there.

So what should I expect and is there any certain questions I need to be asking?  I am so clueless!

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What should I expect?

• Options

imagebubba2b:
    Is this for assessment? Develop an IEP? Consent for testing?

I believe this is an assessment, I know we are transferring from Infant Toddler to them.  Infant Toddler has been anything but helpful with this process.I am feeling a bit lost. But I do know we will be doing his IEP in the fall according to the letter I got from the school.Does that sound right?

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

• Options

With the amount of people coming it sounds like this may be the IEP meeting - especially since your LO turns 3 in just over a month. Have they already evaluated him? If not, maybe that is what this meeting is for and if there is SPD can you ask for an OT to be there?

I will actually be in this boat at the end of the summer.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMaxandRuby:

With the amount of people coming it sounds like this may be the IEP meeting - especially since your LO turns 3 in just over a month. Have they already evaluated him? If not, maybe that is what this meeting is for and if there is SPD can you ask for an OT to be there?

I will actually be in this boat at the end of the summer.

He has been evaluated by his pedi and Infant Toddler, and the school has all his paper work from his last evaluation,but this is our first meeting with the school. He has to take the summer off because of being a June birthday and infant toddler has to transfer him out and school doesn't start until September. (but they tell me this is normal.)

But You may be right, this is just an evaluation. Is it the norm to have so many people there? 

sorry I am such a noob! 

• Options

We had two meetings with this kind of group (but did not come out of EI).  The first was a domain meeting where we discussed information regarding his present levels and concerns in each of the developmental domains, and the second was our eligibility/IEP meeting following the evaluations.

If this does end up being an IEP meeting, know that you do not have to sign anything right then and there.  It may be very overwhelming to have so many people there--- and it sounds like most of them will not have met your child.  Did they already send you a copy of your rights/safeguards?  Are you going alone?  

Miscarriage 10/25/2009 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagefar_more_than_rubies:

We had two meetings with this kind of group (but did not come out of EI).  The first was a domain meeting where we discussed information regarding his present levels and concerns in each of the developmental domains, and the second was our eligibility/IEP meeting following the evaluations.

If this does end up being an IEP meeting, know that you do not have to sign anything right then and there.  It may be very overwhelming to have so many people there--- and it sounds like most of them will not have met your child.  Did they already send you a copy of your rights/safeguards?  Are you going alone?  

Good to know. We have not been given a copy of rights/safeguards (Honestly Idk what the is yet.) My husband and our case working from EI will be there but they told me that was my call, and I wanted her there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"