January 2012 Moms
Options

Advice for a (soon to be) mom

I'm jumping over from July 2012 moms. I thought I'd ask for some advice for after delivery. What helped the recovery process for you to heal after delivery ? Any advice is appreciated :) TIA !
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Re: Advice for a (soon to be) mom

• Options
    Start using Lanolin now if you plan to nurse. If you end up with a csection, walk as soon as they will let you. Have some motrin and gas pills on hand. And try heated prune juice to deal with constipation. Also, invest in some really good lotions for dry skin. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Take the stool softener right after delivery, and don't be afraid to poop- you will not pop your stitches, despite what you think.  Also go to the bathroom often, even if you don't feel the urge to.  Get a donut ring to sit on, it's worth the $5 :)

If you're breastfeeding, ask the hospital if they have nipple shells to keep your bra or shirt away from your sore nipples.  And if baby is having trouble latching, ask if they have a nipple shield. Pretty much ask for everything they have, even formula samples (you just never know).

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lhand11Lhand11 member
    Drink tons and tons of water (helps with hemis and will make that first bm less scary among other things). Take all of the free stuff the hospital gives you and ask for more before you leave (ice packs, tucks pads, mesh pants, big pads, and peri bottle). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    neener3neener3 member

Take some of those millions of baby facecloths that everybody gives you, fold em in thirds, wet them, throw 3-4 in a baggie, and put them in the freezer.  I stuck them right down my pants after I got home.  Felt almost as good as the ice packs in the hospital.  I was addicted to those ice packs.

The nurse at the hospital told good me that if you wet some diapers and throw them in the freezer, they are amazing relief for engorgement.  My milk never really came in, so I'm not sure how good that trick is.

I wore my husband's boxer briefs for a good 2 weeks after delivery.  My underwear were just too much for my poor nether regions to handle. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    For me, the most painful part post-birth was breastfeeding.  Both of my girls were over 9 pounds, and I tore terribly with #1, not at all with #2.  I didn't do anything special for healing that up, just ditto on using the hospital supplies.  On the BF side, I was taking painkillers before nursing for the first few weeks.  I also liked the gel things the hospital gave me to stick in the fridge, then in my bra.  I'm sure you are hearing lots of horror stories, but the time that sucked went by fast, and was totally worth it all.
  • Options

Sit in a warm bath at least two times a day and I know it sounds weird but if you have stitches, make sure the water it touching them...so spread em' in the tub to get the water up there! 

If you plan on breastfeeding, buy a breastfeeding pillow ahead of time so you don't have to hold the baby to your breasts or have a regular pillow that keeps slipping out. I am still using mine (My Brest Friend - had a buckle that goes around your waste) even thought DS's feet hang waaaay over the edge.

I took a hot shower EVERY day during the first few weeks...and even did my makeup while the baby was sleeping in the mornings. It was the only thing I could go to make myself feel human during those first few overwhelming weeks.

Oh, and you really are going to need some stool softeners. My BM's did not return to normal until 3 months post-partum!

Good luck! You will be fine! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Rsoc23Rsoc23 member
    do your sitz baths!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ice. Ice. Ice. Ice. Ice. The more swollen you are, the more painful it is. so ICE.

All icing recommendations above are good. I filled a ziplock baggy with crushed ice from the fridge dispenser and wrapped that in a paper towel. In the hospital the nurses gave me latex gloves filled with ice to put in my lovely mesh undies. Like heaven, I'm telling you!

Peri bottles are the best. Soaking baths are great too. 

As pp said, stool softeners are key.

And when you're ready to DTD, lube will be your new BFF. 

Good luck. Enjoy your baby!!!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"