Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Any GOOD induction experiences?

Hi all, I am being induced on Wed. and I am not exactly happy about it. This is my second pregnancy. My first was a rather good (short) labor that came on it's own, 7 hrs. total, from the start of the first contraction to the end. I am just looking for some positive, uplifting experiences w/ induction, as it seems I only hear the bad ones! My doc said I'm favorable for induction, but in my mind I'm not that favorable. 2 cm. dilated and 70% effaced, but baby is still high and cervix is posterior. 

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any GOOD induction experiences?

• Options

I had a really good induction.

This was my first, and I was 40w5d. They started the induction at 11:00 p.m. with cervadil. I didn't need any pitocin or anything else. I had my first contractions at 2:30 a.m. and my DD was born at 7:30 a.m. I was completely dilated by  6:30, had to wait for my OB to come and break my water, and then pushed for only 30 minutes. I got an epi at 9 cm (they didn't realize I had progressed so rapidly). I did have and episiotomy and still had a 4th degree peri tear, but LO and I are doing great and I wouldn't change it for anything. You'll be fine!!

ETA: I was at 2 cm, station 0, and 60% effaced when we started cervadil. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    C&D-Married 05.28.11 Noelle 03.12.12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

This was my first. I was 40 weeks.

I was induced and would probably do it again.

I went in around midnight and was about 3 cm. We didn't do cervadil. We started me up on pitocin around 1am. I couldn't sleep, too anxious. Around 7am, about 3.5cm. More pitocin. 

Doc came in around 12 or 1pm and we decided to break my water as not much was happening. HE told me to go to the bathroom and walk around a bit because once we broke my water I'd be able to get my epidural. (Which I knew I would want.)

I went to the bathroom, got back on the bed, and my water broke on its own.... there was not much there. Within minutes of my water breaking my contractions became intense! I went from a pain level of 2 or 3 to a 10 in minutes. I got the epi and it was easy peezy. (getting the IV in my arm hurt more than the epidural)

I pushed for about 2 hours but wasn't making and progress, at all. Ended up eventually using forceps. 

Baby and I were and are fine. Nothing went wrong. Everyone is happy.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was induced and LOVED it! I was 5 cm at 39 weeks so my doctor suggested it since I was not having any real contractions.  I was put on pitocin at around 2pm...took the dpi around 3pm....water broke around 4pm...and my DS was born at 11pm.  I felt absolutely nothing! My DH and I played cards and watched NCIS the majority of the time.  They turned my epi down when it was time to push so I could feel the contractions. It hurt but nothing I could't deal with.  I would definitely do it again. It sounds weird to say, but giving birth was really easy for me.

I think it also has a lot to do with how your body handles the drugs.  Apparently I handle them really well :-) 

• Options
    lcwedlcwed member
    My experience with delivery after induction was pretty good. I was induced at 38 weeks because of Hypertension.  I was 3cm and 80%, having light contractions, and LO BPP showed her head very low.  I was given pitocin at 8 AM and the contractions weren't bad.  They broke my water at 11:30 and then the contractions got painful.  4 1/2 hrs later it was time to push.  I pushed for an hour.  Total labor is listed as 5 1/2 hrs.  As a previous post mentioned, unless its medically necessary, you don't have to have one.  Even though LO was technically term and had received a steroid shot, she still was in the NICU for almost 3 weeks.  Just wanted you to know that induction deliveries can effect babies too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Options

i was very disappointed i had to be induced- i dreaded it, i had planned a natural birth center labor +delivery, but she decided to stay in there way past my due date. at 42 weeks i could no longer go to the birth center. after two rounds of cervadil (terrible pain, no progress) i checked in to the hospital in tears for a pitocin induction. i was 2cm and 80-90 percent effaced.

after 6 hr of pitocin i was 3cm so they broke my water. then everything happened really fast. i went from 3 - 8 cm in 1.5 hrs, then i was pushing almost immediately (very short transition). pushing took forever (almost 3.5 hours) which was terrible.

i would say overall my experience was not bad, better than i expected. pitocin contrax are really close together which was hard to deal with once they got painful. but, it also moved quickly which was a positive. 11 hours from start of pit to baby and only the last 5 hours were very painful. 

i did not have any pain medication nor did i have any stitches,so i dont think i could have asked for more from my induction experience.

good luck!

i would say hold off til 42 weeks as you could easily go into labor naturally and most places will allow you to go 2 weeks over.

• Options
    kel716kel716 member

I was induced with both kids.

With DS, it was definitely an elective induction.  At 40w2d, I began my induction and delivered at 40w3d.   I went in ~3 cm dilated and about 50-75% effaced.  16 hours with pitocin and an epidural for 12 of those hours, my son was delivered vaginally.  It worked. 

With DD, I went in at 40w3d for my appointment, and I had been nearly 4 cm for a good 2 weeks.  I'd made no progress.  My OB wanted to get me delivered before 41 weeks because my dates could have been off by 1 week in either direction (he wanted me no where near 42 weeks).  I took the induction at 40w6d.  My OB broke my water at 7:45 AM.  At 8:30, they started the pitocin.  I got an epidural around 9:15 or so.  My blood pressure did not handle the epi/pitocin combination, but it just meant I had to lay down through most of my labor.  They turned off the pitocin and then I was fine.  At 12:15, my OB came in to check on me, and I was complete.  I started pushing just before 12:30, and DD arrived at 12:36 PM.  The 2nd time around was SOOO much easier, and I agree with the pp- your body does remember quite a bit.  With DS, I pushed for what seemed like forever.  With DD, I pushed for less than 10 minutes. 

I personally liked having an induction- it's an appointment and with another kid, it allows you to set up childcare without being in pain. 

• Options

I went into labor on my own with DS and fully expected the same 2nd time around. At 39.5wks I had lost my mucus plug, had my bloody show and inconsistent contractions. I was 4cm, 80% effaced and -1. OB offered induction and since we live so far away from family I said yes to ease my mind of my fears of driving myself to the hospital or having baby at home. DS was 8hrs start to finish and I knew later labors tended to be half the previous. I had pit started at 515am and the dr broke my water at the same time. 815am I was only 6cms and almost fully effaced. I blocked out the entire room and at 845 I needed to push. The nurse didn't believe me and almost freaked when she saw DDs head & told me to stop pushing, even though I wasn't. DD was born at 908am after 4 pushes. The ONLY reason it was almost 30min later was bc I had to wait for my dr to arrive. Start to finish, under 4hrs.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced. The actual induction part of my labor went fine. I had a mishap with a medication that I reacted poorly so my whole birth story isn't exactly what you're looking for. But the induction part was fine. I was given pitocin at 10am. I was 3cm dilated, I have no idea how effaced I was. I had my daughter at 3:58pm.
  • Options
    Induced with my second.  Went in at 5cm, got hooked up to an epidural then eventually a LITTLE pitocin.  9 hours later and after 13 minutes of pushing, my son was born...zero pain.  Easiest labor ever, I was more bored than anything...complete opposite than with my first baby.
  • Options

Im not sure your reasons, but you do not have to let them induce you... I know you are looking for positive induction stories, but unfortunately I can not give you one. I had to be induced at 38 weeks for pre-e, was not even 1cm and 50 percent effaced. Was extremely posterior. After 36 hours, I was at 2 and 70 percent effaced- cervix still in the back. It took 3 full days for me to make it all the way. If I ever got pregnant again, I would not let them induce me. If medically necessary, I would ask for a c-section. (Not that those are not painful to recover from)

If you can, and its not medically necessary, I would push off being induced. If you can't, then maybe ask about how they do their inductions. Where I was, they didn't start with pitocin- they did all these other things to try and get the ball rolling... I wish I would have just gotten pitocin from the beginning. I had to have these tablets inserted along my cervix which was so painful because my cervix was so far in the back.. I had to lay flat for 2 hours after every insertion which was every 4 hours for 24 hours. Not fun. They also did the foley bulb, which was ridiculously painful and not effective for me. When I got pitocin finally, I was only 2cm and 70 effaced- after all that.... wasn't worth it to me!

Of course, my experience is not everyones experience. But those I know who had faster inductions, just had the pitocin and not all those other things I mentioned. 

Good luck to you though and I hope everything goes smoothly!

• Options

I had a positive experience with my induction.  It's on the birth story board so i won't retell it here...the only advice I have is don't let other people's experiences affect how you approach this birth!  Be confident in your ability to make decisions that you know are right for you in that moment, not based on what you thought was right beforehand...  know what I mean?  Be well and good luck to you!  I hope you will post a message about how everything worked out for you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"