Military Families

Fort Gordon

We're PCSing to Ft. Gordon the end of June. Anyone been there or are currently stationed? Any advice on where to live or general opinions on the area?

If you've had kids there as well, do you rec the hospital you delivered at and doctor?

I'm not finding much information in my google searching.... really only that Evans/Martinez are the nicest areas (although our BAH still doesn't even cover nice 4-BR homes in those places for an O-3... Grovetown is a more likely option.) I've also heard good things about Trinity Hospital in my forum searching, but there's really only one practice I've found of docs who deliver there that accept Tricare Standard. Most of the docs that take my insurance deliver at University.

Thanks for any help you can give me! 

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

Re: Fort Gordon

• MiahTMiahT member

We're currently stationed at Ft. Gordon.  We used to live in Martinez, and I can tell you that unless you find a steal you will be paying far more for a home in Evans/Martinez than in Grovetown.  We paid $700 a month for nine hundred square feet because I felt safe in the neighborhood.  Grovetown has improved a lot over the years, but some areas are still a bit sketchy.  We currently live a bit outside Gate 5 in Hephzibah, but the neighborhoods out there can be hit or miss.  We like our current home and it's much bigger than the last, and I feel safe enough in our neighborhood, but I know some people don't feel comfortable outside of Gate 5 just because of its reputation.  If you don't mind a bit of a commute, don't rule out North Augusta in SC, it's not that far away from base really.

We've got Prime so I'm being seen at Eisenhower for now, but I'll be delivering at Trinity.  We'll be touring Trinity in June and I've heard good things about their L&D.  MCG has a really good NICU from what I've heard.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMiahT:

We're currently stationed at Ft. Gordon.  We used to live in Martinez, and I can tell you that unless you find a steal you will be paying far more for a home in Evans/Martinez than in Grovetown.  We paid $700 a month for nine hundred square feet because I felt safe in the neighborhood.  Grovetown has improved a lot over the years, but some areas are still a bit sketchy.  We currently live a bit outside Gate 5 in Hephzibah, but the neighborhoods out there can be hit or miss.  We like our current home and it's much bigger than the last, and I feel safe enough in our neighborhood, but I know some people don't feel comfortable outside of Gate 5 just because of its reputation.  If you don't mind a bit of a commute, don't rule out North Augusta in SC, it's not that far away from base really.

We've got Prime so I'm being seen at Eisenhower for now, but I'll be delivering at Trinity.  We'll be touring Trinity in June and I've heard good things about their L&D.  MCG has a really good NICU from what I've heard.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I hear Trinity is really the best from the research I've done so far. Apparently it's not as "fancy" as the others, but I was looking up their hospital ratings for Gynecology in the Augusta area. I was actually somewhat alarmed at the survival rating for University and MCG... they were not nearly as good. It also just seems like more of a private experience at Trinity. I feel like it's the safest option and would be the most positive experience.

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Loading the player...
  • MiahTMiahT member
    imageRachelilly23:

Yeah, I hear Trinity is really the best from the research I've done so far. Apparently it's not as "fancy" as the others, but I was looking up their hospital ratings for Gynecology in the Augusta area. I was actually somewhat alarmed at the survival rating for University and MCG... they were not nearly as good. It also just seems like more of a private experience at Trinity. I feel like it's the safest option and would be the most positive experience.

We haven't done our tour yet, but I've looked at Trinity's website and read some of the promotional material Tricare gave us.  I really like the idea of being in one room from the time I'm admitted until I leave.  I spoke with someone who delivered at Trinity two years ago and she had nothing but great things to say about them.  

I thought I'd mention that Ft. Gordon also has a New Parent Support Group that has been very helpful for DH and I (FTM and all), and they also host several classes and a Tots and Toddlers play group if any of that will be useful for you.  Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have no experience with Trinity, but have delivered at both University and MCG.  University is a great hospital.  Loved the whole experience there.  L&D at MCG was great, post partum was horrible.  I have a few friends that delivered at Trinity and were very pleased.  If you are on Prime you will deliver at Trinity.  I delievered at MCG when I was on Prime because at the time that was where Prime pts. were delivering.  We switched to Standard and I picked a practice because I wanted to deliver at University. The children's hospital at MCG is fantastic.  Don't know about the NICU, but have heard fantastic things about it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    July 2007 m/c 6 weeks
    November 2010 m/c 7 weeks 1 day
    MTHFR (Compound hetero with copies of A & C)
  • We were at Fort Gordon a few years ago. I can't speak to the OB/healthcare - I can't even recall if I had yearly visits there or not! However, I will agree that the Evans/Martinez area is the best housing wise but also the most expensive.

We were able to get a rental house (3 BR, huge yard, single family) for just our BAH up from Gate 1. It's a little development up the road from the Zaxby's (mmmm, I miss Zaxby's!!) on that main road. If you like TV, the cable service in Grovetown is supposed to be awful and limited in service, but that may not matter to you, you can always get satellite, or it may have improved over the past four years.

Everyone I know who had babies (they were all civilian though) delivered at University and were really happy with it.

• I know this is late but I am currently at Fort Gordon. I delivered my daughter at Trinity and it was an amazing experience. I loved it! The nurses were so sweet and helpful. They have an awesome security strategy that keeps Mommies and babies super safe. As far as living off post is concerned, we live on post but I do know a lot of people who live in Grovetown and Evans. It is pretty hit or miss in the Augusta area, good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"