Special Needs

Cleft Lip/palate

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board. My son was born in April with a cleft lip/palate and a club foot. I am wondering if there are any other moms out there whose child was born with a cleft lip/palate. Also if their are working moms whose babies had surgery I am wondering how long you took off work for your child's surgery. My son has his next surgery in March and I have no idea how long to take off. I have told my employer two weeks but I am second guessing it thinking I need to take off more time. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Cleft Lip/palate

• My sister had a cleft palate/lip.  She had her lip repair when she was around 3/4 months old.  I was only 4 but I remember my mom encorperating the part she had to have on to keep the lip together into her Halloween costume :)  She had her palate repair when she was 5.
  • my daughter was born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate..

all kids are different-   but i can share our experience.. my daughter wore the NAM (an appliance) for 3 months and had her lip surgery done at 5 months.  Her recovery was awesome!  I took 2 weeks off but went back a few days early because she was doing so great.  Her palate surgery was done at 9 months and again, her recovery was quick.  I took off 2 weeks but ended up going back a week early.  She had no issues whatsover.. 

If you have any other questions email me at lumaryh  at hotmail.com 

• Loading the player...
  • Not a mom with a cleft palate baby, but my father performs this surgery on lots of babies each year - they can do so much for this now! Some of the before and after pictures I've seen of his are just amazing - I hope that your baby's sugery goes well and that you get the time off you need to care for him. :)
  • My son was born with a unilateral cleft lip/palate and is now 14 months. He had his lip repair when I was on maternity leave but had his palate repaired at 10 months when I was working. I took a total of 2 weeks off of work (surgery was on a Monday morning and I went back to work 2 weeks later) and it was the perfect amount of time. Halfway through the second week he was back to himself and we were out running errands and doing things. I think you will be fine with two weeks.

Good luck on the palate repair and his lip repair looks really good!

Heather
  • Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all of your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"