Single Parents

Baptism Question...

I go to a Catholic church, and lately there have been a lot of baptisms, and it's been making me think that I have never seen a baptism with only one parent. I am hoping to get my daughter baptized in my church when she's born, but I have been kind of nervous to ask about it. That has to be an irrational fear, right? I mean, can the church say no? I don't think they would, I just have never seen this, and I am from a very large parish. Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Baptism Question...

• i am lurking from another board, previous single mommy and i am unformular with catholic church but as far as my church which happens to be christan, non denomination they told me no with my daughter beacuse i was not married. I was able to get her baptized in the office if i wanted to. We are waiting to get both kids done at the same time as soon as our princess #2 arrives.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Catholics generally seem more strict about those sorts of things too, so I guess maybe I should be prepared for a no. That seems so wrong though, because it's not about the parents, it;s about the child. She didn't do anything wrong. But I guess baptism in an office would be fine too, just as long as she is baptized...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • yea it def sucks!!! good luck!
  • I had my  daughter batised at the catholic church during a full mass.  The church was great and asked very little.  The priest even pulled me aside at the session before the baptism and asked if i wantedto leave her fathers name off the paper.  I said yes and he said ok no worries.  I think you should be fine. It meant alot to me and my family to have her baptised
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had no problem getting it done at my Episcopal church. Just call them up and ask :) 
  • rsp247rsp247 member
    My cousin had her son Baptized in a catholic church and she is not married. Better yet she isn't even catholic. She is Jewish but her ex was catholic and wanted him baptized. I suppose some churches are just more lenient.  
  • when it comes to baptisms the catholic church will normally do it with little to no questions asked.
  • XBF wants DD to be baptized at some point, but neither of us attend a certain church. Our families are both Catholic however they don't attend church either due to their jobs and schedules. Would it be unusual to call up a random church to perform the baptism? 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"