Baby Showers

Diaper Raffle.....thoughts?

FTM here....lots of friends have suggested doing a diaper raffle at the shower. MIL, mom, and sister are throwing the shower and have also suggested a diaper raffle. Are diaper raffles that popular these days that most people do them for showers? I wanted to be in charge of prizes to make sure they were worth while. There will be three wine baskets that include two bottles of wine myself and DH made at a local farm that does the wine making, summer sausage, crackers, and a pair of wine glasses. Then we'll also have two gas gift cards also. I was going to let ppl select what they wanted in case some ppl don't like wine. Anyone else doing a diaper raffle? Thoughts on them?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Diaper Raffle.....thoughts?

• In my experience people LOVE being asked to bring a gift on top of the gift they're already bringing in order to win a prize. I'd personally steer away from it, instead of doing baskets you can just use the money you're spending towards that on diapers. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good point....lol. DH and I actually made the wine RIGHT before I found out I was pregnant so I now have two boxes of wine sitting in our spare room just taunting me Stick out tongue
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebritt1217:
    Good point....lol. DH and I actually made the wine RIGHT before I found out I was pregnant so I now have two boxes of wine sitting in our spare room just taunting me Stick out tongue

That sounds so delicious right now!  

• I know!!! We have blackberry cab and a pineapple pear chard. I swear everytime I walk past the door they're yelling "drink me". That is the one thing I miss.
  • FemShepFemShep member

Your wine sounds delicious!

Diaper raffles are rude.  You're asking someone to bring a specific additional gift, and treating guests who do so preferentially.  Not cool.  Value all of your guests, whether or not they bring you an extra pack of diapers.

• My mom and sister are doing the majority of the planning for my baby shower, and I'm entertaining the thought of the diaper raffle. I have no idea what to do for a prize. I think it's great you have options for prizes. I'll probably just do one raffle prize.

• CranangCranang member
    Diaper raffles are extraordinarily tacky.  People are already spending their hard-earned money on your picking out a gift, and then you're asking them to bring another gift (specified by the hostess) on top of that for a chance at some prize.  It's just bad form.
  • diaper raffle = tacky

handing out free wine = awesome 

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • No they are not popular.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Awesome prizes, stupid raffle.  If I were invited to participate in a diaper raffle I'd probably purposefully NOT bring diapers on top of another gift.  Diapers are not cheap and its incredibly rude to ask guests to spend more money.  You can still give away your wine baskets, but give it to the winner of a game (by "game" I don't mean the lame ones, I mean the easy ones like having to give up your clothespin when you say the word "baby"). 
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My friends did a diaper raffle at there shower. I didn't feel it was tacky it they said play if you want or not it was a $1 a ticket and the prizes were just little cheap things. I personally doubted that they made much and thought it was a waste of time we could have been visiting. I wouldn't do it. Why not just serve the yummy wine at the shower 
  • I wouldn't do it for a shower.  It would make me really uncomfortable asking my guests to do all of that for me. 
  • imagebritt1217:

FTM here....lots of friends have suggested doing a diaper raffle at the shower. MIL, mom, and sister are throwing the shower and have also suggested a diaper raffle. Are diaper raffles that popular these days that most people do them for showers? I wanted to be in charge of prizes to make sure they were worth while. There will be three wine baskets that include two bottles of wine myself and DH made at a local farm that does the wine making, summer sausage, crackers, and a pair of wine glasses. Then we'll also have two gas gift cards also. I was going to let ppl select what they wanted in case some ppl don't like wine. Anyone else doing a diaper raffle? Thoughts on them?

Maybe a raffle without the diapers, where everyone who comes gets a ticket? That way people can bring a gift (or not) and everyone gets a chance to win a prize. The gas gift cards might be overkill--those wine baskets sound perfect, and wouldn't cost you much extra since you already have the wine. You could spend the gas $ on diapers.

• I don't think they are a good idea since basically you are dictating what the guests should purchase for you OR they can feel like crap if they don't participate (because most will). 

I have gone to showers that did this and I have to admit that I spend less on the actual gift since I take the money I spent on diapers from the amount I would have orginially spent on the gift.

• I'd feel horrible if I was your guest who brought a $25 gift, and then went home with a $50 prize.  Consider scaling back the prizes, depending on what people tend to spend in your area.  Also, don't do the diaper raffle.
  • PokedotPokedot member
    I will totally be flamed for this but I don't care. I had asked about this some time back. In my area, diaper raffles are popular and a great way for the new parents to get diapers they will desperately need. I can understand the gift on top of a gift BUT that would factor into the price of the gift itself. I would say go for it if you feel its appropriate for you. My shower invites included:  

To add a little extra glee and help the parents-to-bee, please bring a little extra from the heart, an unwrapped pack of diapers to give them a good start...

We will see if it turns out or not on the 9th. FYI my shower is "bee" themed hence the bee...

• CranangCranang member
    imagePokedot:
    I will totally be flamed for this but I don't care. I had asked about this some time back. In my area, diaper raffles are popular and a great way for the new parents to get diapers they will desperately need. I can understand the gift on top of a gift BUT that would factor into the price of the gift itself. I would say go for it if you feel its appropriate for you. My shower invites included:  

To add a little extra glee and help the parents-to-bee, please bring a little extra from the heart, an unwrapped pack of diapers to give them a good start...

We will see if it turns out or not on the 9th. FYI my shower is "bee" themed hence the bee...

IndifferentWow.

And you were right...

Taking such a cute shower theme and butchering it.  And as far as that saying goes...you're actually begging them to bring "extra". 

Yeah, it's a great way for parents to get diapers they need.  So is robbing a grocery store. Doesn't mean you should do it.  It's the parents' responsibility to buy what they desperately need for their child.  Not to mention that everyone is going to bring different diapers, in sizes you probably won't need and brands you won't like, and you're stuck with taking them back, if you even can.  Why not just ask for a $20 gift card on top of the regular gift?  Oh, wait...does that seem tacky?  Hmmmm.....

• imagePokedot:

You can't be serious.  You know how you can the diapers you "desperately need?"  Go to the store and buy them.  Now you have diapers and you're not an obnoxious, tacky, twit.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • clineakclineak member

I agree with PPs--although diaper raffles are becoming quite popular, I find them to be super tacky. 

Your wine sounds delish! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PokedotPokedot member
    imageCranang:
    imagePokedot:

IndifferentWow.

And you were right...

Taking such a cute shower theme and butchering it.  And as far as that saying goes...you're actually begging them to bring "extra". 

Yeah, it's a great way for parents to get diapers they need.  So is robbing a grocery store. Doesn't mean you should do it.  It's the parents' responsibility to buy what they desperately need for their child.  Not to mention that everyone is going to bring different diapers, in sizes you probably won't need and brands you won't like, and you're stuck with taking them back, if you even can.  Why not just ask for a $20 gift card on top of the regular gift?  Oh, wait...does that seem tacky?  Hmmmm.....

I won't be robbing a grocery store sweetheart, don't worry Big Smile

• PokedotPokedot member
    imagemorethancottoncandy:
    imagePokedot:

You can't be serious.  You know how you can the diapers you "desperately need?"  Go to the store and buy them.  Now you have diapers and you're not an obnoxious, tacky, twit.   

Thanks for the compliment but I'm not a twit...and its actually a very popular thing to do in our area...people are able to bring it if they want. END OF STORY!

• CranangCranang member
    imagePokedot:
    imageCranang:
    imagePokedot:

IndifferentWow.

And you were right...

I won't be robbing a grocery store sweetheart, don't worry Big Smile

Nope you're trying to scam your friends and family out of it and making them feel like they have to do this or they won't be "included."  Again, why not just ask everyone to bring a $20 gift card?  Wouldn't that be easier that having to take home packs of diapers?

• CranangCranang member
    imagePokedot:
    imagePokedot:

Thanks for the compliment but I'm not a twit...and its actually a very popular thing to do in our area...people are able to bring it if they want. END OF STORY!

"Very Popular" doesn't mean it's not trashy.  I"d been giving you the benefit of the doubt up until now, but coming back with "sweetheart" and "thanks for the compliment" makes you sound about 15 .  Is this going to be on an episode of Teen Mom?? **Crosses fingers**

• PokedotPokedot member
    imageCranang:
    imagePokedot:
    imagePokedot:

"Very Popular" doesn't mean it's not trashy.  I"d been giving you the benefit of the doubt up until now, but coming back with "sweetheart" and "thanks for the compliment" makes you sound about 15 .  Is this going to be on an episode of Teen Mom?? **Crosses fingers**

I was answering the question that the original poster asked. Not for you personal opinion on MY shower. Coming back with "sweetheart" and "thanks for the compliment" was showing you the exact same courtesy you were showing me! I hate when people come on here and bully one another. This is a place for your opinion YES but not to beat someone up over their own. It is like back in grade school when someone always gets ganged up on it is ridiculous! We're grown woman about the bring children into this world...don't we have better things to do than be caddy with one another?

• I did a baby shower for a friend last summer and had a diaper raffle for them. It went over very well!!!!  The host of my shower will be doing this as well. As a PP said, diaper raffle's are becoming very popular in my area as well. 
  • CranangCranang member
    imagePokedot:
    imageCranang:
    imagePokedot:
    imagePokedot:

I was answering the question that the original poster asked. Not for you personal opinion on MY shower. Coming back with "sweetheart" and "thanks for the compliment" was showing you the exact same courtesy you were showing me! I hate when people come on here and bully one another. This is a place for your opinion YES but not to beat someone up over their own. It is like back in grade school when someone always gets ganged up on it is ridiculous! We're grown woman about the bring children into this world...don't we have better things to do than be caddy with one another?

You want me to carry your golf clubs for you?

• CranangCranang member
    imageSmileyGirl18:
    imagePokedot:
    imageCranang:
    imagePokedot:
    imagePokedot:

Exactly this!  Opinions are one thing.  Personal attacks are not needed. 

OMG!  You're so totally right!!  How could I not have thought of this before????  You are SOOOOOO smart and insightful!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"