August 2012 Moms

Are sunny side up eggs considered raw?

I know theres something about eating raw eggs while pregnant...does sunny side up count?  I love s-s-u eggs, but have refained for the last 29 weeks...DH and I are going out to breakfast in a little while, and I really want some!

Re: Are sunny side up eggs considered raw?

• From everything I've read your egg needs to be fully cooked, nothing runny, even scrambled eggs need to be completely not runny and almost dry. :( I feel your pain. I told my family that the first thing I want after she pops out is Eggs Benedict. I've been CRAVING runny yolks but I have to refrain.

You're so almost there though! 

• abbyfulabbyful member

I still eat my eggs with runny yolks.

The risk of salmonella from raw eggs is HUGELY OVERBLOWN. The contamination rate is 1 in 30,000 eggs, which with average egg consumption comes out to "you might be exposed to a contaminated egg once every 42 YEARS". 

My personal opinion is to eat & enjoy your sunny-side-up eggs. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had some sunny side up eggs in the recent past. I order more scrambled eggs now, just to change it up. My OB always told me that things that didnt make me sick prior to pregnancy should be OK for me to consume in moderation during the pregnancy (clearly alcohol, street drugs, and cigarettes aside-not that those were a concern of mine). So I have sushi from time to time and I eat lunch meat here and there...so far I havent gotten sick.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageabbyful:
    I still eat my eggs with runny yolks.The risk of salmonella from raw eggs is HUGELY OVERBLOWN. The contamination rate is 1 in 30,000 eggs, which with average egg consumption comes out to "you might be exposed to a contaminated egg once every 42 YEARS".My personal opinion is to eat & enjoy your sunny-side-up eggs.
    I totally agree. But then again I eat my Jimmy John's and Subway when I want too.
  • imageBuona Fortuna:
    imageabbyful:
    I still eat my eggs with runny yolks.The risk of salmonella from raw eggs is HUGELY OVERBLOWN. The contamination rate is 1 in 30,000 eggs, which with average egg consumption comes out to "you might be exposed to a contaminated egg once every 42 YEARS".My personal opinion is to eat & enjoy your sunny-side-up eggs.
    I totally agree. But then again I eat my Jimmy John's and Subway when I want too.

MMmmmm...Jimmy Jones....now I have a wrap from Publix....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • irerirer member
    I have been eating runny eggs throughout this pregnancy and the last one, too (not every day, but several times) including Eggs Benedict with hollandaise sauce...mmmm
  • Eat your eggs!  Smile

I've been having sunny side up eggs from time to time throughout this pregnancy too, I just let them cook a little longer than I used to, to make sure the center is warm.  I think you'll be fine.

• imageasales727:

Eat your eggs!  Smile

I've been having sunny side up eggs from time to time throughout this pregnancy too, I just let them cook a little longer than I used to, to make sure the center is warm.  I think you'll be fine.

This exactly.

• alitriaalitria member
    I have just taken to ordering mine over medium instead of over easy so they're not *quite* so runny, and warm throughout but I still get yolk.  Yum, that's the best part!  I'm supposed to be eating more protein so I'm getting it any way I can! 
  • imagealitria:
    I have just taken to ordering mine over medium instead of over easy so they're not *quite* so runny, and warm throughout but I still get yolk.  Yum, that's the best part!  I'm supposed to be eating more protein so I'm getting it any way I can! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealitria:

Runny egg protien is better than none at all! and it tastes oh so good

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't ate a sunny side, but I have been eating over medium where the white is cool all the way through but has a runny yellow part.
    BFP#1: 5/10/2011 MC: 6/13/2011 9w4d BFP#2: 10/21/2011 MC: 10/28/2011 chemical pregnancy BFP#3: 11/28/2011 EDD: 08/09/2012 {{Big hugs}} to my BFPbuddy lovinlife23!!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers PGAL/PAL always welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"