2nd Trimester

NPR - graduation gift for a 40 yr old?

A friend is throwing a graduation party for her husband (he went back to school for an associates degree).  Do I need to bring a gift?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green

Re: NPR - graduation gift for a 40 yr old?

• I myself just graduated (grad school) at 33. I think it would be appreciated but not necessary. 
    imageimageBabyFruit Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • I would probably bring a card w/ a gift certificate for a restaurant they like - maybe something like that?
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My aunt graduated college around 50, and I got her a nice stationary set and put in the card it was for all the thank you cards she'd be writing after job interviews.
    image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedixneuf:
    I myself just graduated (grad school) at 33. I think it would be appreciated but not necessary. 

Yes, I think that's a little different though.

Outside of a trip to the bars, I didn't have a graduation party for my bachelors, masters, or Ph.D.  I left out all of the "other" details of this situation because they probably don't matter.  I'm a little bitter about the whole situation (I think the purpose of the party is to get gifts, and I have good reason to believe this) which is probably why I'm even asking the question. 

Maybe I'll just suck it up.  How much should I give?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • imagetinyhumantoe:

imagedixneuf:
    I myself just graduated (grad school) at 33. I think it would be appreciated but not necessary. 

Outside of a trip to the bars, I didn't have a graduation party for my bachelors, masters, or Ph.D.  I left out all of the "other" details of this situation because they probably don't matter.  I'm a little bitter about the whole situation (I think the purpose of the party is to get gifts, and I have good reason to believe this) which is probably why I'm even asking the question. 

get a card, just showing up is plenty. Gift-grabby is lame. 

I should add that aside from a card w a nice check from my in laws and my H coming to my graduation and taking me to dinner, my accomplishment went entirely unacknowledged by my friends and family. I am for sure annoyed (I certainly didn't have a party) - I don't care about gifts but a card or something would have been nice (at least from say, my parents!). 

imageimageBabyFruit Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • RhomonkRhomonk member
    If they drink, how about a bottle of his favorite liquor?
    photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetinyhumantoe:

imagedixneuf:

Dude, I definitely wouldn't give money to a grown-up graduating from college. Maybe that's what they're after, but that's super-weird, bordering on insulting (to both you and him!) I would do what others have suggested with a little gift like a bottle of wine or whatever, or not bring a gift at all and not worry about it.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    40 year old, friend's husband, associate degree - a bottle of booze is plenty.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"