Military Families
Options

We're living on different sides of the Earth...

My DH in stationed in Japan.  I am also in the military (National Gaurd) stationed in Maine.  This is our first child, it was completely unplanned, but we couldn't be happier!  We are trying to figure out how to get him home for the birth.  We have discussed having a scheduled induction, so we may know when and he can come home.  The issue we have run into is he was told the military won't send him home until my water breaks.  Its a 25 hour travel back to Maine and I'm worried he will miss the birth.  Does anyone know if he is able to come home before, or does he actually have to wait until my water breaks?
IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: We're living on different sides of the Earth...

• Options
    When my friend was having her baby, they wouldn't let her DH go until she was admitted to the hospital and the DR called the Red Cross to inform his CO. He then got E-leave. I'm not sure if it's the same across all branches or even units.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Kaisa07Kaisa07 member
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it depends on his command. My husband's ship will theoretically let him come earlier than the EDD (bc they will be in port and he can leave). So long as North Korea doesn't launch a successful rocket or a natural disaster occurs, and so long as he has final approval from the ship's CO, he can be there.

If not, then I won't see him until he gets home from that deployment. And then I will start busting heads for him to get his paternity leave. 

Gabriel 09-11-2012 No dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts
    DSC_0803
    DH deployed since July 22
  • Options
    Since he's in Japan and not deployed, he should get leave time to come home, right?   Maybe he can schedule leave to be there.  I'd look into him coming home about a week before your due date and then talk to your doctor about stripping your membranes on your due date.  I wouldn't do a chemical induction.  You raise your risk of having a c section.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageiluvmytxrgr:
    Since he's in Japan and not deployed, he should get leave time to come home, right?   Maybe he can schedule leave to be there.  I'd look into him coming home about a week before your due date and then talk to your doctor about stripping your membranes on your due date.  I wouldn't do a chemical induction.  You raise your risk of having a c section.  

If he has a shore tour. Most people I know in the Navy stationed in Japan are constantly being deployed since it's a forward-deployed operating base. Shore tour, is just like it sounds though and would really depend on his command if he gets to go early. It sounds stupid to me that they wouldn't let him go a couple days early, especially considering it takes so long to get back to the States.

Gabriel 09-11-2012 No dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts
    DSC_0803
    DH deployed since July 22
  • Options

He does have a shore tour thankfully.  He works in a hospital.  I keep asking him to find out, but he's a man, and probably going to wait until the last night :P  We're really hoping he can make it home.  He's already having a hard time not being here for all the appointments and to watch my belly grow, but I'm trying to keep him as involved as possible.  We will learn to be okay with it if he can't come home for the birth.  But I am still keeping my fingers crossed that he will be there!

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"