Washington Babies

So this has been worrying me a lot lately...

In my childbirth prep class we were told to follow the 4-1-1 method for determining if we were ready to head off to the hospital or not. (contractions 4 minutes apart, lasting one minute or longer, for one hour)  Then she said that sometimes you can follow that method and get to the hospital only to be sent home because you aren't dilated enough or whatever. 

So my concern is this, I live an hour to an hour and a half away from the hospital depending on traffic.   Do you think they would still send me home, or do you think I would be admitted if I had followed the 411 rule?  Also, dh doesnt think we should wait an hour at home with contractions 4 minutes apart before we head to the hospital since it will take us another hour to get there.  

I realize this is something I'm going to need to ask my dr. but its on my mind now so I thought I would see what everyone here had to say about it...

Thanks ladies!!   

Re: So this has been worrying me a lot lately...

• We're about the same distance from our hospital as well and I discussed that concern with my OB. She said to come as soon as my water broke or, when my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. I ended up being induced so I didn't need to worry anyway :)
  • Contractions that are STRONG, that are 5 minutes or less apart for more than 30 minutes, you should call and see what they say. 

**When your water breaks, you should always call...

Also, if you test GBS+, then you should go to the hospital immediately because you have to be put on an IV with meds.

• Loading the player...
  • I would think it's better to be safe then sorry, so I would head to the hospital as soon as you are feeling concerned.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Often if you live that far away they won't send you home, but do you have any friends or family that live closer that you could use their home as a resting point? 
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • I would talk to your doctor about it.  I didn't call the hospital until contrax were 2-3 minutes apart and at least a minute long (with Hannah).  When we got to the hospital I was 5-6cm dilated.

With Gavin, labor was really fast.  I went from having contractions several minutes apart to suddenly having contrations that didn't stop.  (I think I skipped transition.)  I was fully dilated when we got to the hospital.  (Keep in mind that labor is much faster with the 2nd one.  This IS NOT going to happen to you!)

For us, the hospital is about 20-30 minutes, longer in traffic.  Also, with Gavin I tested GBS+, and DID NOT get to the hospital intime for the IV.  He was just fine and didn't need any extra care.  They did keep us an extra day just incase.  So, don't worry about that if you do test positive.

Just my 2 cents!

~Susan Mommy to H 08.07.06, and G 10.11.08, m/c(d&c) 08.10.05 13wks image
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Pregnancy blog
  • I would definitely ask doctor, but when I was at the hospital tour last week they said 5-1-1 if you live within a "reasonable" distance to the hospital i.e. 1/2 hour and it is your first child.  If you live farther or it isn't your first they suggest coming sooner.  Since this is my 3rd, they actually encouraged me to come in when I am 8 minutes apart.  I would assume that since you are farther from the hospital they also want you coming in sooner.  You can call and ask L&D and they will direct you as necessary.
  • imagescarletii:

IWith Gavin, labor was really fast.  I went from having contractions several minutes apart to suddenly having contrations that didn't stop.  (I think I skipped transition.)  I was fully dilated when we got to the hospital.  (Keep in mind that labor is much faster with the 2nd one.  This IS NOT going to happen to you!)

Well, actually this could happen to you, if you are lucky enough. My labor was only 5 hours from start to finish. I tried to follow the 5-1-1 rule, but my labor started at 4 min. appart, and went to 3 min. appart after 20 min.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have no advice as I haven't been through labor yet. I do have a friend who lives about an hour from her hospital, and they sent her home once, and then the second time she went in, they said she could stay until she had the baby, even though it was early in the process (i.e. if she lived close they would have sent her home again).
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • I had the same concern since we live on the east side and our hospital was in Seattle (520 during rush hour while in labor did not seem appealing!).  However, my water ended up breaking without any other signs of labor so we had to go - thankfully it was at nighttime so there was no traffic.  You just never know what's going to happen.  It is good to prepare for the worst though.  When I got there I did have to walk around for several hours to try to get the contractions going...that sucked.  If its too far and a busy time of day and they try to send you home, could you look in to getting a cheap hotel room by the hospital so you can at least chill out till things get more intense?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"