Military Families
Options

WOW...talk about insensitive!!!!

My DH just left for Basic training at Cape May, New Jersey. I made a post about it on my FB and some said the following

"I here they're issuing powedered soap in the Coast Guard now, since it takes longer to pick up when you drop it."

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGG what the HECK?!?!!?!? Seriously, I'm looking for support and prayers and this person thinks making a joke about rape is funny. I'm fricking 5 weeks away from birth. It's a good thing this was not said in person, because they'd be dead, and I don't think anyone would convict me.

Just really shocked at this! They have been de-friended and comment was deleted, but I'm still fuming.

Re: WOW...talk about insensitive!!!!

• Options
    I'm so sorry this happened. It's awful and sad when people think they are funny/cute and they are just rude and mean.

BFP 4/4/12 CP 4/10/12

9/20/2013 Came home with our little miracle from the Philippines

11/26/2013 Surprise!!! BFP!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry you found that offensive. I personally thought it was funny. Just take it at face value and let it roll off your shoulders. If you don't, it will be a long hard road.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, they used the wrong "here".
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry they hurt your feelings.  However, if you let things like this get under your skin, you are going to have a tough time with military life.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i also thought it was funny. there are jokes like that everywhere in the military, it kind of comes with the territory and you get used to it

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    I think you are overreacting. I hope that it is just hormones because if this is your typical reaction, I agree with the pp who stated that you will have a very difficult time as a military spouse. I,personally, found it humorous. My guess is that this person is just trying to lighten the mood, not make jokes about rape.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I just happened to be lurking over here and haven't posted in forever. If you aren't a member, check out Coastie Chicks. Its mostly consist of wives but there are a few coast guard members in also. Plus it is more of a supportive atmosphere which is what I think you are looking for.

If you decide to join Coastie Chicks I will see you over there. Good luck to your DH. Boot camp was tough but I kinda enjoyed it (I like challenges). 

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Learn early on you have to let stuff go. Especially on facebook. The military culture is full of "jokes" funny or not and if you let everyone get to you it will be a long enlistment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LeahCKLeahCK member
    I'm sorry that hurt your feelings.. But PP's are right there's a lot of harsh joking out there.. My DH and I joke with each other all the time since he is Navy and I was Army. I have my sensitive days so I hope this too passes for you and you can talk to the friend who posted on your FB.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Meh, I guess I feel like you need to grow a thicker skin. 

My husband didn't go to boot camp (he went to the Naval Academy) but his friends always made stupid jokes about soap-on-a-rope and all that garbage.  They aren't serious, it is made in a light hearted way. 

Pick your battles.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options

First of all, congrats to your husband!
    This is the first of MANY homosexual jokes that will be thrown your way. Like they've said earlier pick your battles. Raging hormones are never fun, but you have to learn to roll with the punches once they're evened out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on board with the OP. I think it was an offensive "joke." I can see how it could be considered funny if said in the right situation by/to the right person (ie a buddy to the gentleman leaving for training). I get the impression from OP that this was not the case. I do agree that you shouldn't let it bother you though. People say stupid, insensitive stuff all of the time in every walk of life.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"