Military Families
Options

BAH question, on post housing related.

Does anyone know if the Army will take all BAH no matter where you live on post?  Or maybe that is something that differs by each post?  DH's BAH increased by $100 and they automaticly took that out for housing even though we live in the oldest (and worst) housing area. 

I am trying to look for an apartment or house off post so that we can save some money but DH doesn't want to move.  Mostly just because its kind of a PITA.  But if we could save $200 a month I still would like to try.  Though finding a house that will accept pets is definitely hard!  Any info would be great, TIA! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BAH question, on post housing related.

• Options
    Not sure about the Army but I know in the Navy if you live on base you get $0 BAH no mater where on base you live and it doesn't matter if it increases or not every year. The whole point to living on base is that you don't have to worry about paying rent or utilities. I personally like living out in town though....we get $1300 for BAH and our rent is only $800. We don't pay water so our utilities usually come out to around $100 and we pocket about $400 a month.
  • Options

Yes, regardless of where you are on post, your entire BAH will be taken, plus you typically still have to pay for phone, cable, internet. 

We've always opted to live off post because we can  usually find a place where the rent and ALL utilities are covered and still have some BAH left over to spare (which is nice to put towards gas and groceries).

The only  time we considered on post living was when we were at Ft Sill, as Lawton (the surrounding town) is super sketchy (lots of gang activity and even living on the "good" side of town we woke up to gunshots across the street one night).  Since we were only there for a 6 month school, we didn't qualify to live on post.

But generally, I would recommend living off post as I think it actually saves more money in the end.  The only down side I can see in your wanting to move is the actual moving process. It can be gruelling to pack and and move everything yourself! Hopefully since it's a local move you can enlist the help of friends.

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband is in the army and it doesn't matter if you live in the nicest house or the worst they still take your full BAH. Ive also noticed most of the places close by the base charge about what your BAH is because they know the majority of there residents with be military. Not sure if its like that everywhere but it is where im at and where were moving. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yep, we were reading it in the welcome packet they gave us the other day when DH got his new duty station. They will take all of it regardless of where you are if you stay on post. We will be PCS'ing in a few months and will def be looking off post. I think the hassle for a few days/weeks to pack and unpack is worth the money you'll save and the hassle of living on post.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  We actually found a house kind of in the country that we're going to look at tomorrow.  It would give us a lot extra a month and even with a 10-15 min drive to post it still is a good deal.  And even though I hate moving, I am all for saving money and sticking out the heavy lifting, etc. I am praying its decent and DH is a sucker for country living and peace and quiet so hopefully he will go for it :P  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LeahCKLeahCK member
    Yes that is the case military wide. The military switched and outsourced to a civilian company quite a few years back (some bases still have the military that work with BAH but for the most part it's been outsourced and the accounting is standard). That's why we weigh the options depending on the base.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kaisa07Kaisa07 member

It varies by post .. here in Hawaii there are certain housing areas that have a 15% BAH rebate every month because they are the oldest units and most people want the new ones. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKaisa07:

It varies by post .. here in Hawaii there are certain housing areas that have a 15% BAH rebate every month because they are the oldest units and most people want the new ones. 

I was about to mention the same thing. Personally if those old crummy houses were all they had to offer I would be moving off base as soon as I could. Even in Wahiawa lol

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"