Parenting after 35

Another GTKY post

Because it seems to get a lot of response, and this board is slow, let's keep the momentum going!

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?

What song do you love to dance to?

What was your most embarrassing hair style?

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be?

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say?

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper?

In what way are your parents out of date?

What single piece of technology makes your life easier?

What do you miss from your childhood?

Re: Another GTKY post

• What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away? Chunky pumps, Justin Bieber, ultra tight ultra low rise coloured jeans on guys, and the family stickers on every car window.

What song do you love to dance to? Party Rock Anthem

What was your most embarrassing hair style? Crimped and permed hair in the 80's

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be? Leonardo Da Vinci in a heartbeat

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say? Mom, my fvking tooth hurts.

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper? Yes, quite a few.

In what way are your parents out of date? Where to start?! What they think is "in" in fashion, especially shoes. I can't believe how many things they pick up that they got at a bargain shop that they think is in, but it is years out of fashion (which is why it was in a bargain shop in the first place). Oh, and not truly understanding what a designer label is, and when they do figure out what one is, thinking that they must buy that designer t shirt because it has the name on it and that makes it cool. Ugh. I am really not into that (or buying crap, just because it has a label).

What single piece of technology makes your life easier? The Keurig, of course!

What do you miss from your childhood? Truly enjoying summer vacations, and having the whole summer off.
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away? None, I think they have their lane

What song do you love to dance to? Love on Top (by Beyonce)

What was your most embarrassing hair style? The Gerri curl...

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be? Bob Marley, John F. Kennedy and Gandhi. And light one up (for all those we've lost, of course)

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say? My bagenta's itchy (meaning vagina)

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper? Yes, I won a non traditional trade award as a teen mom and years later they did a story piece on my life.

In what way are your parents out of date? I only have my dad, but it's his old huge cell phone that could be used as a weapon.

What single piece of technology makes your life easier? My baby monitor. I have a 4 story house and my bedroom and nursery are on the 3rd floor.

What do you miss from your childhood? An appreciation of nature. Making snow angels, laying in a field of grass starring at the clouds, licking ice sickles and dancing in the rain.

• Loading the player...
  • steverstever member
    imagegimmietimmies:

Because it seems to get a lot of response, and this board is slow, let's keep the momentum going!

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?The Kardashians. I'd take a million Biebers and Gagas if that family would go away.

What song do you love to dance to? Um, I don't dance.

What was your most embarrassing hair style? Ratted out bangs in 9th grade.

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be?Ernest Hemingway, though I suspect he'd drink me under the table.

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say? There are so many. My current fave is 'You're bad, Mommy, because a dinosaur's on your head.'

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper? Don't think so.

In what way are your parents out of date? Mom thinks 'cool jazz' is actually cool. Dad can't text.

What single piece of technology makes your life easier?Electric kettle or KitchenAid Stand Mixer.

What do you miss from your childhood? I'll get back to you.

• Because it seems to get a lot of response, and this board is slow, let's keep the momentum going!

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?  most reality tv...guilty pleasure or not, it needs to go

What song do you love to dance to?  I just don't dance.  Period.  Unless the alcohol is overtaking the blood in my body.  Which, these days, that just isn't likely.

What was your most embarrassing hair style?  Entering into 7th grade (backstory - three elementary schools merged into one junior high 7th grade year in my school district...so a shitton of strangers to me which makes this worse)...I had a horrendous 'do.  One half was really really short (but not shaved) and spiky, the other side long, over my eye.  And...I had a tail.  I wish I had a picture I could post...but it was bad.  And I was relentlessly teased for it.

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be? hmm...I honestly don't know.

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say?  Until I had a child of my own, I had very limited exposure to children, so I really couldn't answer this.

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper?  A few times...primarily local paper for school-related activities.  And about 15 years ago, I was horribly misquoted in an article that was done on a manager I supported and the culture of our company...a story that I think was picked up all over the country.  Embarassing.

In what way are your parents out of date?  Besides the obvious (my dad being a total racist) I can honestly say they really aren't.  Or at least my mom isn't.  Expect in some ideas she has about raising my child.

What single piece of technology makes your life easier?  Is it sad that I say my kindle fire?  I love love to read and this definitely cuts down on book clutter in a tiny house.

What do you miss from your childhood?  Summers at the lake with my grandmother.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm new to this board so I'll join...

-->
    -->

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?  Hands down guys wearing pants that hang under their a$$ - it just looks completely ridiculous.  I've always hated it.

What song do you love to dance to?  Hmmm this is a tough one...I love all kinds of music.

What was your most embarrassing hair style?  Oh definitely the "poof" from the 80's in 7th grade.

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be? Hmm that's hard - Abraham Lincoln, Kennedy or John Lennon or Jim Morrison..I'm really not sure.

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say?  "Want to see something really little, really fast" - one brother to another in a McDonald's right before he quickly pulled his pants up and down.  They were maybe 4 and 5.

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper?  Yes once or twice but not for anything particuarly earth shattering. Smile

In what way are your parents out of date?  They often joke about all the "new" things they have for kids in terms of safety and development.  Who knows maybe they're right.  I turned out ok relatively speaking. Big Smile

What single piece of technology makes your life easier?  I'd be lost without my iPhone.  I check everything on it.

What do you miss from your childhood?  Having summers off and really just the feeling of having no responsibility.  I can't imagine ever being that carefree again.

• imagegimmietimmies:

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?  I'll second Reality TV.  And most currently popular music.   I'm hopelessly stuck in the 80s, tho.

What song do you love to dance to?  "Kiss" by Prince.  Heck, any 80s tune gets me going.  Oh, and GBS of course! :)

What was your most embarrassing hair style?  Bad bad bad home perms in elementary school.  I was tall and skinny and super-blonde.  I looked like a poodle.

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be?   Thomas Jefferson.  Besides being an awesome historical figure, he's my great uncle x 7 or 8 or so.  I'd want to know why he was so successful and yet his brother (my relative) was such a deadbeat!  hahahahaa!

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say?  I posted this a while back.. but he keeps saying it:  MY PANTS ARE WONKY.   Oh, and last night at a very formal church graduation ceremony, he yelled WHISPER! when I asked him to use his "church" voice.

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper?  Yeah.. but for nothing juicy or illegal!   Hometown news stuff.

In what way are your parents out of date?  My mom is skeered of computers.  Can't use the voice messaging on her cell, either.

What single piece of technology makes your life easier?   Internet and computer.

What do you miss from your childhood?   My safe little hometown where we could ride bikes anywhere and you just had to be home by dark.  Massively huge oak and maple trees on the front grass lawns, which were so green and lush.   Nothing like that out here in Colorado.

• Stupid double post/burp

• What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?

Young girls being okay with being vapid and sexualized. I teach college, so I see the girls who are seriously hoping to be pretty enough to marry a rich man...and that's 100% their plan.

What song do you love to dance to?

When my guy's wireless mic for his guitar works, he'll come off-stage during his guitar solo on "Hurt So Good" and dance with me during gigs Wink

I could never figure out the curling iron, so I tried to do the high bangs and ended up with some sort of shellacked flip. *Sigh*

I don't know if she drank, but Emily Dickinson. I need to know what she meant in several of her poems!

Not funny but profoud. A five-year-old once gave me a flower and said, "This flower is beautiful because it is fragile."

When I was my professor's kids' nanny when I was in college, the three-year-old would yell, "Mom! She's antagonizing me!" That was awesome.

Yes. A lot. As far as poets go, I'm "writer" famous, which means I hope not to lose money every time a book comes out. Mwahaha... (I've been on the cover of a magazine in India, too.)

My parents are on another planet in many ways. Oh. My mom doesn't get that my first book is the way it is -- a book, with graphic material in it, and it mentions her jail-time on the first page. She's asked me before, "Could you send an edited version of your book to so-and-so?" Bwahaha...

What single piece of technology makes your life easier?

The internet. My publisher is in London, and we've only spoken by phone once. Everything is via email/Facebook.

I grew up really rural, so just taking off all day, eating out of the garden and fruit trees and coming in before dark. All that time to imagine is what made me a writer :-) (Well, that, and crazy, abusive parents, probably.)

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away? Reality TV

What song do you love to dance to? I don't dance, but I love walking on the treadmill to LMFAO's "Sexy & I Know It".

What was your most embarrassing hair style? Crispy ratted mall bangs, aka "rat's nest" (thanks, dad).

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be?  Hmm, I really have to think about this one.

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say? My then 5 y/o nephew heard Barney on The Simpsons say "I'm a simple b@stard". My nephew turned to his mom & said "Hey mom, am I a simple b@stard?"

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper? No

In what way are your parents out of date? My dad will not use a computer or a cell phone. My mom thinks her flowered bell bottoms are stylin'

What single piece of technology makes your life easier? My iphone. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagegimmietimmies:

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?  Teen Mom, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, or any other pathetic reality tv shows like these.

What song do you love to dance to?  I can't think of just one. 

What was your most embarrassing hair style?  7th grade. Awful perm. 

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be?  Winston Churchill.  (but also Humphrey Bogart! :-) 

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say?  I don't have a talker yet, but some neighborhood kids knocked on our door the other day and said, "Hi. Do you have any kids we can play with?"  It was adorable. 

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper?  Yes, I was a really good high school and college athlete. 

In what way are your parents out of date?  They are cell phone illiterate. 

What single piece of technology makes your life easier?  My BB. 

What do you miss from your childhood?  Running around my grandparent's farm during the summertime without a care in the world. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegimmietimmies:

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away? Really fed up with the Kardashians and all the singing/dancing shows on tv.

What song do you love to dance to? I love 80's hair bands and will rock out to those.  Also, any Shinedown song. 

What was your most embarrassing hair style?  Super short feathered do in 9th grade.  DH saw a picture and asked me why I had a boy haircut.

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be? There's way too many to list.

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say? Yesterday at the zoo there was a little girl who freaked out a little because people got between her and her parents.  Instead of yelling for Mom or Dad, she started yelling "FAMILY!!  FAMILY!!"  It was very cute.

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper? Nope

In what way are your parents out of date? My dad refuses to text.  His job got him a Blackberry and he refuses to do anything but check email on it and he hates that he has to do that.  My mom tries really hard to stay on top of things, so she's not usually out of date, but she'll try and use slang with my 17yo and that really doesn't work.

What single piece of technology makes your life easier? I'm embarrassed to say, but texting.  I don't have to get all caught up in a conversation with someone if I don't have time for it but can still get a question answered.

What do you miss from your childhood? no responsibilites.  summers off.  the simplicity of life back then.

• What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away? I'll probably get flamed for this but- Facebook. Honestly- if I haven't spoken with you in several years, there's probably a reason. And no, I don't need to know that you just stopped and got a Coke Zero at the gas station, and how life is about learning to dance in the rain.  yick.

What song do you love to dance to? Shake Your Body- Michael Jackson.

What was your most embarrassing hair style? Spiral Perm or my wanna-be punk/choppy- I wanna be Pat Benatar- look.

If you could have a drink with someone from history who would it be? Elizabeth Taylor- You know that betch has got some stories.

What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say? " Is this a tomato?!!!"  my oldest said this during a very bad thunderstorm. (she meant to say - tornado). We still use it.

Have you ever been mentioned in the newspaper? no

In what way are your parents out of date? It's weird but they aren't. They have the lastest Acura's, cellphones, AT & T U-verse, and my mom answered the phone with "Yo" the other day.  LOL I said- did you just say Yo?!   She's 64. And loves Lady Gaga and Adele.

What single piece of technology makes your life easier? Coffee pot

• Yeah, the board is slow. But I just hope that once The Knot/Nest/Bump changes over this board to the new format it won't suck as badly as the other boards do. There was a mass exodus from The Nest, including my local board. It just sucks.

What part of pop culture do you wish would just go away?  The Bachelor/Bachelorette celebrity.  Only like one couple (not that I ever watched) is still together. Why bother?????

What song do you love to dance to? I don't dance. I have absolutely no rhythm.

The bleached bangs that I did with peroxide to kind of look like Nick Rhodes and John Taylor of Duran Duran when I was 14. Awful. And too short.

George Washington.

My nephew asking my SIL where her "wiener" was and, then, who took it?

Wedding announcement only.

Computer/texting, etc.

What single piece of technology makes your life easier? The TV. It allows me to cook or go to the bathroom alone.

Just playing without worries of responsibility.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"