Two Under 2

WWYD about this H playing league sports situation?

I'm kind of bargin' in here.  I'm currently pregnant with #2 (and we will be 2U2).

Here's the lowdown:

H is in a Thursday night bowling lead 35 weeks out of the year.

H is in a slow pitch softball league for about 10 weeks.

He really likes being in these leagues, but it's almost an entire year of H being gone one night a week.  He is gone right now to a bowling tournament.  I am at home dealing with nausea and trying to finish up a huge assignent for a graduate class I'm taking.  This wouldn't be an issue but my son has awakened 3 times already sobbing (which is WAY out of character for him), so I've had to go up and comfort him so pretty much I've gotten a half page of a 7-10 page paper written. 

I'm just a little overwhelmed right now. 

These league sports are his hobby.  I hate to ask him to give them up, yet I haven't gotten to enjoy more than a couple of nights doing my hobby (my horse still gets brushed...but I haven't ridden since my son was born) since my 2nd trimester of my first pregnancy. 

Would you be asking H to give up his hobbies totally?  partly? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD about this H playing league sports situation?

• I may not be the bset person to advise on this topic, as my H's hobbies can be enjoyed from home. (My biggest problem w/his hobbies is the cost, not the time he puts into them.) But as a pg mom of 2u2 (who's not even in school) I knoow it's hard to get things done without help.

On one hand, bowling is one night a week. On the other hand, it's a good portion of the year. So I think I'd ask him to find a league w/a shorter season, or maybe choose between bowling and softball.

Hobbies are important, yes, but when dealing w/2u2 I think those things need to be put aside for a bit. It sucks, and I totally miss my hobbies, but I still get time to myself and just choose more carefully what I want to put my time & money into.

• imagemoonfaerie:

I may not be the bset person to advise on this topic, as my H's hobbies can be enjoyed from home. (My biggest problem w/his hobbies is the cost, not the time he puts into them.) But as a pg mom of 2u2 (who's not even in school) I knoow it's hard to get things done without help.

On one hand, bowling is one night a week. On the other hand, it's a good portion of the year. So I think I'd ask him to find a league w/a shorter season, or maybe choose between bowling and softball.

Hobbies are important, yes, but when dealing w/2u2 I think those things need to be put aside for a bit. It sucks, and I totally miss my hobbies, but I still get time to myself and just choose more carefully what I want to put my time & money into.

Great advice!  Thanks. 

BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I definitely wouldn't ask him to give up his hobbies.  If he goes out one night per week, I think it's fair for you to ask for one night per week too.  Whether it's going to starbucks to work on homework in peace or going to a yoga class, it's good for the family if mom and dad each have time for themselves.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Could he cut back on the time spent on the hobbies? 

My DH is an obsessive hunter & fishes when he can.  I know he loves hunting so I try to remain calm during the Oct-Dec season but by the end of it I've had enough.  He has cut back since having DD, but it's hard.  After Thanksgiving he goes to camp from Friday to the following Saturday or Sunday!  I plan things by myself so he can take a turn at parenting DD by himself.  It's only fair, and helps my sanity.

ETA: Things may change again this year, we're due with #2 in Sept.

• imagehocus:

Overall I think that having a 1 night per week hobby is completely fine. I think he should take a break when the baby comes for about 8-10 weeks. I would not ask him to give it up completely.

I think you're just having a bad night. In the future I would not plan on doing a lot of school work on the night you know you husband will be out.

I agree with this and with the previous poster who said you should also take one night a week to yourself.  My husband cut back to playing basketball just one night a week after our son was born (he used to also play on Saturday mornings).  One night a week is very reasonable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehocus:

Overall I think that having a 1 night per week hobby is completely fine. I think he should take a break when the baby comes for about 8-10 weeks. I would not ask him to give it up completely.

I think you're just having a bad night. In the future I would not plan on doing a lot of school work on the night you know you husband will be out.

Yes, this. 1 night a week is reasonable. It seems like this particular night is just a bad confluence of events. You said you would have been fine if your little guy hadn't (uncharacteristically) woken up 3 times.

I agree with PPs... try to stay ahead of the game on your HW if possible, and make sure you get your 1 night a week too!

We love our little guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No, I wouldn't.  But I would totally make a point of doing something 1 night a week as well.  Riding your horse, going out with friends, the gym, whatever.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH is in three sports, Sunday am Monday and wednesday pm and works real late on Thursday's. He doesn't come home before going to his games on the weeknights. I have 2u2 and it's hard but he will never give up his sports so I plan to go out Friday nights when I can and on Thursdays I sometimes have a mothers helper (teenager) come over that we pay. If he ever said anything about the $20 I sped for the help than he can just stay home and be the free help, he's never said anything. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"