May 2011 Moms
Options

How do you guys feel...

about "Your Baby Can Read"? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How do you guys feel...

• Options
    kacellekacelle member

That it's stupid and pointless.  We researched a lot of early learning programs in child development courses, and that's my conclusion.  Why would I want my baby to be able to read anyway?

ETA: The article below talks about how harmful the program actually is because it requires infants to spend so much time in front of the television, along with other complaints about the program

https://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42557517/ns/today-money/t/complaint-filed-ftc-over-your-baby-can-read/

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    pam1005pam1005 member
    No, no, no.  Learning sight words alone will not result in a child learning to read.  I do think that learning some sight words in combination with phonics and other reading strategies is successful, but Your Baby Can Read is a load of crap.  Your child may like the videos (I know DS liked to watch them on occassion... I got some of them for free), but if you are thinking about paying full price pass on it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kacellekacelle member

imageMrsSparklebottom:
    The best thing you can do to help your baby be a reader is reading to your baby.

Yes

My mom read to me all the time.  I started reading books on my own at three.  She said she never had to do any special program or teach me sight words; she just read with me.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

I totally agree with you ladies. I myself do not plan on buying the program. My friend told me she ordered it for her 6 month old (both "my baby can read", & the spanish one because she is hispanic and her husband is black so she wants her LO to learn both languages). . I was kinda shocked that she actually ordered it. I feel like why do you want her baby to learn so much and crowd his head with so much that he will eventually learn when it's time to learn that stuff. He is just learning to sit up right at 6 months. . . I could go on & on but yall get the point.

"The best thing you can do to help your baby be a reader is reading to your baby" SO TRUE!! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We got it as a gift, and DS loooves looking at the pictures in the books and flash cards. I tnink it's useful for looking at the pictures and telling him what they are, but I'm skeptical that he'll learn the actual written word. And we haven't used the DVDs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"